Defense

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I wonder if Brant is a really good practice player, but for some reason it doesn’t translate to the game? You hear about guys who aren’t that great in practice but in games are better. At this point I’d put the higher upside guys in, unless others at the time are just WAY better. You might have more bigger plays against you, but you might also create more bigger plays.

CNW hasn’t been here long enough to develop “favorites”. And it’s pretty clear he’s making the personnel calls on that side. Maybe he will make a change. Maybe there is a reason he’s playing the guys he is.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Brant is a really good practice player, but for some reason it doesn’t translate to the game? You hear about guys who aren’t that great in practice but in games are better. At this point I’d put the higher upside guys in, unless others at the time are just WAY better. You might have more bigger plays against you, but you might also create more bigger plays.

Teachers pet. No more comment.

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
We had one sack yesterday and one sack today. We are on pace for 12 sacks. But hey our new defense is "aggressive"

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Compare the pressure this year to the lack of pressure last year, and you should be impressed at least with the effort.

I’ll have to watch the tape. You may be right. It didn’t seem much better live though.

I do like the way we are penetrating gaps more this year. I just haven’t seen it lead to appreciable sacks or pressure yet and our QB contain was a mess again today.

I just think we are still in need of more athleticism.

But again....I need to watch some replays.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Teachers pet. No more comment.

Man please. Roof ain’t here no more buddy. It’s pretty clear CNW is making the personnel calls on that side and I don’t think he’s been here long enough to develop any pets yet. Didn’t see any evidence he played pets over ballers at App State either....but whatever. Keep submitting your resume to Tstan after every game.

Groh ran a 2 gap system. Nate Woody doesn’t. The players may line up the same, but they are different. It is true in order to run an effective 2 gap you need guys like UGA and Bama are recruiting, but that isn’t the case for what NW is doing.
And you know this because...? What is your pedigree in football?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No, this idiot saw it too. They overrespected the pass, in my opinion. That left room underneath for the QB to run. I think after Tariq got tossed, CNW felt we were too thin to adjust and cheat the middle. Just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually thought making the quarterback run rather than sit in the pocket and pick us apart was a good strategy. However, it seemed like our linebackers were slow tracking down the quarterback so that strategy did not work as well as I had wished.

Agree with comments by others that we seemed slow and in some cases overweight.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
And you know this because...? What is your pedigree in football?
It’s been said by the coaches. Unless you are talking about Groh 2 gap system needing UGA, Clemson, Bama type talent, then history would tell us that. Idk of any 3-4 D that plays 2 gap without superior talent that does really well.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The OP is correct in my opinion. We generally cannot get the type of nose tackles that a bammer or someone else can get for a 3-4, and without one of those, being aggressive is dangerous, but oh well. I know it is early, but talent, more than ANYTHING else, matters on the D-side of the ball.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
CNW hasn’t been here long enough to develop “favorites”. And it’s pretty clear he’s making the personnel calls on that side. Maybe he will make a change. Maybe there is a reason he’s playing the guys he is.
I never said one thing about playing favorites. My question was if Brant might be a better practice player but it doesn’t translate to the game.