Defense

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
I can’t understand why PJ don’t want to throw the ball. It’s seem to me that if he gets 300 yard rushing a game he’s satisfied. Every throw was open but he went away from it til the last 4minute of the 4th Q. Do what is working damn. D side LB was slow wasnt filling the gaps imo. By this point they should know who should play more on the D side. Hope they get it together next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We’re we watching the same game? Our throwing was atrocious. We probably would’ve gotten beat by 20 if we had thrown more.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
After watching the USF and Pitt games, I think it's pretty obvious that at this stage of the game our defense is better when we don't stunt. The gap control on our stunts is an absolute mess. I know stunting is a big part of Nate Woody's defensive philosophy, but for now we might be better off simplifying...yet again.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I really don't know why everyone thought the D was going to be good this year. A new D coordinator coaching a brand new scheme to a team full of players recruited for an entirely different scheme was destined to produce at least one bad year while the team adjusts. Watching the Alcorn State game solidified this in my mind. We need to resign ourselves to the fact that our D will probably be pretty bad all year, and hope next year brings a boost once guys have a year in the system. CNW is not a miracle worker, and he's going to need time. This could easily get much uglier before it gets better.

Is everyone forgetting the Grogh experience? How many times did he have to dumb down his defense? Hell Roof had to dumb down his defense last year. Where is the disconnect in how our defensive unit learns. Are they slow in learning or what? Never heard these issues with Tenuta or O'Leary when they were here.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
Is everyone forgetting the Grogh experience? How many times did he have to dumb down his defense? Hell Roof had to dumb down his defense last year. Where is the disconnect in how our defensive unit learns. Are they slow in learning or what? Never heard these issues with Tenuta or O'Leary when they were here.

I don't a definitive answer to this question, but I do have an anecdotal one. I'm personal friends with a number of college football coaches, one of whom won the Broyles Award as a defensive coordinator. To a man, they all told me that it will be damn near impossible for CPJ to assemble a good defensive unit (this was shortly after the hire). Of course, I asked, why?

One obvious reason given is reps, our defense only sees our offense during spring and fall camp, so that puts them behind the eight ball before they even see a scout team two weeks ahead of the first game. This gets compounded by the fact that it is very difficult to assemble a scout team that is even a close facsimile to what the D will see on game day, because we don't have the kind of players on offense that can simulate a "normal" offense. As each year passes, these words I heard over a decade ago ring more and more true...

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I don't a definitive answer to this question, but I do have an anecdotal one. I'm personal friends with a number of college football coaches, one of whom won the Broyles Award as a defensive coordinator. To a man, they all told me that it will be damn near impossible for CPJ to assemble a good defensive unit (this was shortly after the hire). Of course, I asked, why?

One obvious reason given is reps, our defense only sees our offense during spring and fall camp, so that puts them behind the eight ball before they even see a scout team two weeks ahead of the first game. This gets compounded by the fact that it is very difficult to assemble a scout team that is even a close facsimile to what the D will see on game day, because we don't have the kind of players on offense that can simulate a "normal" offense. As each year passes, these words I heard over a decade ago ring more and more true...

I’ve often wondered about this. I’m unhappy to hear that my suspicion was correct. I’m even more unhappy that the only way around it is to get rid of CPJ’s offense.

If this is true, he should've been fired 11 years ago. If the style of offense we play causes us to have a terrible defense, then why on God's green earth are we running it? Seems counter productive.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
The D was fine, Basically Held them to 17 (the turnover on the 30 is hard to pin on them). The offense was absolutely horrible.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The Stinger normally lines up on the wide side of the field. Nate has him in pass coverage (not rushing or containment) on 3rd and ten (several times). There is no containment when the stinger drops off in coverage. The QB sprints outside to the Stinger side (no pressure) and has an extra 5 seconds or so for the receivers to get open. Easy throw and catch over and over. What Am I missing? This strategy is easy to beat as continually shown.

Also when we rush 3 and drop 8 into coverage the CBs seem to still give the receivers plenty of room for the first down catch. I do not understand why we do not cover tighter on third downs and roll the dice with more pressure.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

This was one of the things Cutcliffe publicly criticized PJ for and created a bit of controversity. The other was pass blocking not emphasized. I am sure both are used against us during recruiting.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

this ironically funny because there were SO MANY guys several yrs ago on-line that HUGELY denied that this was a factor--after so many yrs of poor DEf I knew it was more than just lack of talent

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why everyone is so upset, CPJ is a genius, he's figured out a sure-fire way of not giving up a two-score lead in the 4th Quarter ... get blown-out in the 1st half.
... sometimes fella's ya just got to laugh, it's better than the alternative !

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why everyone is so upset, CPJ is a genius, he's figured out a sure-fire way of not giving up a two-score lead in the 4th Quarter ... get blown-out in the 1st half.
... sometimes fella's ya just got to laugh, it's better than the alternative !

This is no laughing matter! [emoji37]