Defense

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I was a computer programmer for 30+ years, but I sure can't keep up with the computer programmers of today, and my experience means squat when it comes to teaching others how to do it. So you have no point.
CTR could tackle when he got off da bus the first day on campus---just like Swilling and Burnett. He was a tackling machine and coaching had very little to do with it. Tackling is a lot like height and speed---it's very difficult to coach. Of course now, we need to coach how to tackle in a gentle polite manner or be ejected.

Jmonty71

Banned
CTR could tackle when he got off da bus the first day on campus---just like Swilling and Burnett. He was a tackling machine and coaching had very little to do with it. Tackling is a lot like height and speed---it's very difficult to coach. Of course now, we need to coach how to tackle in a gentle polite manner or be ejected.
It's not tackling in a polite manner. It's about how you tackle and which part of the body you use. Days gone by, you could spear and clothes line other players. Those are dirty plays. You can still hit hard. It's a matter of using your shoulder vs crown of helmet. It's also about wrapping up. I don't care how big you are. If both your knees are wrapped up, you aren't going anywhere.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It's not tackling in a polite manner. It's about how you tackle and which part of the body you use. Days gone by, you could spear and clothes line other players. Those are dirty plays. You can still hit hard. It's a matter of using your shoulder vs crown of helmet. It's also about wrapping up. I don't care how big you are. If both your knees are wrapped up, you aren't going anywhere.

I think the “tackling in a polite manner” was in reference to the two awful targeting calls against us last weekend. If that was targeting then I’m a rocket scientist. Those calls were just freaking awful. Last year, the Bulls were the second most penalized team in college football and we were 128th. On Saturday, we had 8 penalties for 80 yards and 2 ejections while the Bulls had 5 penalties for 36 yards and 0 ejections. A statistical anomaly? A miracle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll say this.... Under prior DC's, my frustration has always been the lack of effort that was shown on the field. We look lackadaisical at times. Under the new DC, people are flying around. At least, it looks like there is more effort.

Now... does that effort = results? Apparently, not yet. But, I think we will get there. The 3-4 requires some key parts. First, it requires a BIG space eating nose guard, as I call them. Someone that can fill the A and B gap, by just their presence. Next, 2 quick and hard hitting LBs. Yep, that would be Sam and Will.... Sam and Will have to be quick off that edge. The 2 Mike LBs just need to be able to cover that short route.

I think we have some of these tools, but not all of them. The secondary is young and we got shown that, last week.

This is a learning year. We will have some ups and downs.

That was my impression from what I saw against Alcorn from my seats in section 101. Guys seemed to pin their ears back and attack. Reminded me of the Falcons defense circa 2015 as far as attack and unfortunately sloppiness. Lots of whiffed tackles. That’s correctable fortunately with coaching & experience in the system.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hate that Woody left a good situation for us. He's going to be looking for another job this offseason from the looks of things. PJ just doesn't have it anymore.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I hate that Woody left a good situation for us. He's going to be looking for another job this offseason from the looks of things. PJ just doesn't have it anymore.

Unless we hire Satterfield.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Where has this Fast Physical Defense we were promised been? Tech has gotten the same amount of pressure if not less, as they got with Roof calling the plays. Also on the 3rd and 15 Pitt runs spider 2 y banana and the OLB turns the WR lose to cover the flat on 3RD AND FIFTEEN!!! Roof would’ve went to 4-2-5 and dropped everyone keeping the play in front of them. I just can’t believe Tech still can’t get any pressure with a coach that Promised it.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Woody is hoping CPJ quits or gets fired so he can inherit the whole enchilada. He’s not going anywhere.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Where has this Fast Physical Defense we were promised been? Tech has gotten the same amount of pressure if not less, as they got with Roof calling the plays. Also on the 3rd and 15 Pitt runs spider 2 y banana and the OLB turns the WR lose to cover the flat on 3RD AND FIFTEEN!!! Roof would’ve went to 4-2-5 and dropped everyone keeping the play in front of them. I just can’t believe Tech still can’t get any pressure with a coach that Promised it.

You guys who expected the “Fast Physical Defense” to come right away forget that Coach Woody is running it with, for the most part, recruits who were, at best, recruited to another scheme and, at worst, lightly or moderately regarded coming out of high school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
I can’t understand why PJ don’t want to throw the ball. It’s seem to me that if he gets 300 yard rushing a game he’s satisfied. Every throw was open but he went away from it til the last 4minute of the 4th Q. Do what is working damn. D side LB was slow wasnt filling the gaps imo. By this point they should know who should play more on the D side. Hope they get it together next week.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The issue is, the D is getting penetration but they are getting to far up field and not maintaining their gaps. This is completely different than what they have been doing for years and they haven’t learned to go hard but at the same time play disciplined. I’ll also add, we are probably playing 4 or so players at positions that just don’t fit wht woody wants to do. This big of a change is going to take some time. If you go look at what he did for App State, his first year wasn’t great but things really changed in his second year, this is SO different than what we use to do, so naturally it will take time.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Twice today on 3rd and long we only rushed 3 and they easily got the first. Reminded me of Roofs D or I thought, woody would blitz every play at App, is PJ making him sit back? Did PJ tell Roof this too

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
You guys who expected the “Fast Physical Defense” to come right away forget that Coach Woody is running it with, for the most part, recruits who were, at best, recruited to another scheme and, at worst, lightly or moderately regarded coming out of high school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I knew it wouldn’t work, I didn’t want Roof canned his best reciting class was finally about to take the field and we pulled the plug on him.