Defense

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I know it will never happen because of what happened in the past but I wish we could hire John Tenuta as either D.C. or at least DB coach. He used to draw up the type of blitzes that many have mentioned and was really good on the timing of his calls too. Because of our talent limitations I believe we need to make up for that with an aggressive scheme that leverages our ability to think faster and more creatively than most of our opponents. Sort of like we do on offense.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's hard to see it being any easier to score on us if we were wide open aggressive.

Really? Well it could be. Every blitzer you bring leaves either a man or area uncovered. With the bad angles, poor assignments, and missed tackles we are prone to....the D might get scorched even worse. They might only benefit in sitting on the sidelines for even more minutes.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know it will never happen because of what happened in the past but I wish we could hire John Tenuta as either D.C. or at least DB coach. He used to draw up the type of blitzes that many have mentioned and was really good on the timing of his calls too. Because of our talent limitations I believe we need to make up for that with an aggressive scheme that leverages our ability to think faster and more creatively than most of our opponents. Sort of like we do on offense.
Today's standard NCAA offense is designed to destroy that one trick pony defense.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
So we had a problem with the "don't " part of the statement. Take out the don't and you get" bend but brake".
The part that didn't make sense to me was the use of "he's". "He's" is a contraction for "He is". Make that substitution and re-read it.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Go do a work out and try to do lifts close to your max for as long as you can. You'll get gassed quick. It's not about total time spent on the field. We need to be able to rotate guys in and out and get them to do different techniques so they're not killing their stamina constantly.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The D got two stops out of 5 possessions in the second half. How many times have we said we could win if our D would only get 1-2 stops a game?

UT changed tempo in the second half and our guys struggled to adjust to it. Some, but not all, of the blame goes to CTR.

Ultimately, we didn't lose this game because of late defensive collapses. We lost this game because we lacked the ability to put the game out of reach.

Our kick-off & field goal kicking is at dumpster fire level. The missed field goals and two fumble are why we lost this game. The jury is still out on how good UT actually is, but I watched us destroy their D with a new QB and a new BB and our best AB on the bench. I also watched the D being maligned in this thread hold UT to 96 yards in the first half and get two key stops in the second half. I think we saw improvement last night. Yes, they relapsed in the late second half, but we played 2 1/2 good quarters last night. That's something to build on.

Anybody who thinks it's realistic to expect our O to score nearly every possession is nuts.

That being said, I agree that the loss was not just on the D. They did what they needed to do in the first half.

However, that's not an excuse for how we lost. Our D collapsed in the second half, whether from mental mistakes, a poor change in D philosophy or a combination, I don't know. Our O couldn't finish drives from similarly stupid errors: Ricky not looking-in a perfect 10 yard pass on 3rd and 7, JJ running down the middle of the field with a the ball in a turkey wing, or whatever. Our Special Teams were just bad.

I think we're good enough to win all of our games, but we don't look like winners.

OK... Let's ask the question, this way...

If you just got appointed as the new DC.....what would be the first thing you would fix? I know there is a ton of areas... But, what do you think the biggest area of concern is?

I'll go first. Go out and get some friggin hog mollies to clog up the middle of the LOS. I think that is where a lot of the issues start. No immediate pressure right into the QB's face. Also, forcing teams to run sideways... Not forward.

I would really love to hear others...
You don't think our staff is trying to do that? Seriously? News flash friend, Roof and Co are like every other staff in the country trying to find the "hog mollie". I'm sure our coaches would be excited to hear from you on how to pull those big boys in. So please don't be shy the program needs you.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Anybody who thinks it's realistic to expect our O to score nearly every possession is nuts.

That being said, I agree that the loss was not just on the D. They did what they needed to do in the first half.

However, that's not an excuse for how we lost. Our D collapsed in the second half, whether from mental mistakes, a poor change in D philosophy or a combination, I don't know. Our O couldn't finish drives from similarly stupid errors: Ricky not looking-in a perfect 10 yard pass on 3rd and 7, JJ running down the middle of the field with a the ball in a turkey wing, or whatever. Our Special Teams were just bad.

I think we're good enough to win all of our games, but we don't look like winners.

Yeah. I've never understood the attitude concerning the O, I was just remembering how often said sentence was spoken.

But the reality is that the D stopped 7 of 11 UT drives in regulation. GT gave away three drives where we likely would have scored at least one TD. The first UT TD came with them getting the ball on the short side of the field after a GT fumble. I just think it's premature to only look at the bad, and not look at the positives that were there last night. We'll see in a few weeks where this D really is.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Why did our DEF collapse when in 2nd half when they really had played only a limited # of plays, it seemed.
Also, oddly didn't Roof go from a 3 man rush to 3 and a LB in 2nd half.Obviously it didn't work but at least he was mixing it up..

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why did our DEF collapse when in 2nd half when they really had played only a limited # of plays, it seemed.
Also, oddly didn't Roof go from a 3 man rush to 3 and a LB in 2nd half.Obviously it didn't work but at least he was mixing it up..
I thought UT's defense was gone middle of the 3rd quarter and about the same number of plays as when our D checked out.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
While there were some good series on the defense, and the 7/11 number looks good, the issue I think a lot of us had with the D isn't just that they gave up 21 points in a half it's how they did it.

UT scored on huge plays relatively quickly. I think they had a 90 second TD drive. That was worst case scenario in that game. If you want to play soft you can't break like that. Make them earn it 4-5 yards at a time, not 30. You might as well bring the house and blitz because at least there is a bigger chance for a turnover or big sack. It was the worst of both worlds on those drives.

The lack of fundamentals from the defense also drove me crazy but I feel I've beaten that dead horse for a while now.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Today's standard NCAA offense is designed to destroy that one trick pony defense.
Well last night was a one trick pony defense if I ever saw one. I was field level for the game and the way in which our line was pushed around was not good. Simmons was the only one who could get penetration and Tennessee knew this so the QB just stepped away from Simmons side. The LBs were not very effective in coverage save for Brant Mitchell on a few occasions and Step Durham a few times. We can't cover consistently, we can't rush the passer and about half of our defense can't tackle. On top of that because of all these transfers and not wanting to play many true freshman we have little depth. If we aspire to be better than a 7-5 team we must get better. I think we are going to have to think outside the box and figure out how to use quickness, instincts and leverage to overcome a glaring lack of size and strength. We can call it whatever cliche we want but we have got to have a better D for this team to compete meaningfully.

Jmonty71

Banned
You don't think our staff is trying to do that? Seriously? News flash friend, Roof and Co are like every other staff in the country trying to find the "hog mollie". I'm sure our coaches would be excited to hear from you on how to pull those big boys in. So please don't be shy the program needs you.
You tell me. If Roof is such a great recruiter, as people say. Why oh why do we not reel in the talent? Is it education limits? Is it GT is not in a prime location? Is it people just don't like us? I mean really. If my job was to recruit top people, I'd do it. I do and have done every job I had well. So, id my job was to recruit talent. I would. I would hit almost every Friday night high school game, I could. Does GT not have scouts? Surely they do. If not, I'll pick up a part time job, to help.

Jmonty71

Banned
Here's a question for you, and I don't pretend to know. A lifetime friend who has remained so despite matriculating at Georgia Tech, and who enjoys Georgia Tech football but is not a born again with it, had this theory when I pondered it with him a couple of years ago. Maybe, he said, Georgia Tech is not the place for and doesn't attract those man-eating and fire-breathing beasts who dismantle offenses. In short, it is the culture of the institution and not that of the head ball coach in play here. I don't know, but I found it interesting anyway, and it was the best he could do.
Then, that culture should change. Bring in smart and talented athletes. Not every 5 star player is dumb as a brick. Those are the ones that go to UGag and Bama. Because they offer basket weaving and bowling as courses.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
They were often peeking in the backfield, failing to set the edge, and getting run right by. They weren't getting into the backfield much. DE was my biggest concern pre-season and remains so. Our best DT is quick but undersized but I think succeeds regardless. Our other DTs are even more one dimensional in other regards.

Our front 4 can't get it done, no matter which 4 you choose. We will have to be very creative with blitzes and I agree with those that say screw the big plays we give up. Be agressive till it kills us. Then re-evaluate again. What we are currently doing is killing us anyway. I believe being more agressive honestly will have a similar result to what we have seen thus far but what the hell. It's worth a shot.

I hate to say this. I know it is not sound, not conducive to good fundamentals and all that but I am sick of watching this defense. If I were CTR, I would bring the house in as many ways as possible. If we get burned, we get burned but blitz those bastards. If the current corners can not cover the receivers well they best better learn. I would tell my linemen and linebackers if that quarterback's jersey is not dirty and he has not been on his *** a minimum of 4 times in this game you guys are running stadium steps until you puke. Off rant. Sorry if I offended anyone.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well last night was a one trick pony defense if I ever saw one. I was field level for the game and the way in which our line was pushed around was not good. Simmons was the only one who could get penetration and Tennessee knew this so the QB just stepped away from Simmons side. The LBs were not very effective in coverage save for Brant Mitchell on a few occasions and Step Durham a few times. We can't cover consistently, we can't rush the passer and about half of our defense can't tackle. On top of that because of all these transfers and not wanting to play many true freshman we have little depth. If we aspire to be better than a 7-5 team we must get better. I think we are going to have to think outside the box and figure out how to use quickness, instincts and leverage to overcome a glaring lack of size and strength. We can call it whatever cliche we want but we have got to have a better D for this team to compete meaningfully.
Actually, the best defense I've seen at Tech. since the advent of the current common NCAA offense was the one Groh ran against T. Taylor @ VT where he kept three tall DL at the line with no rush and they stayed in front of the QB taking away the short middle and the qb scramble. The other eight dropped into coverage.