Defense

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's nothing that wasn't already in the playbook that we have used since he got here. Maybe we have been some more aggressive in 3 games but not much. Let's just wait and see what happens in the next two games and we'll see how agressive we continue to be. I hope we can be more aggressive but we'll see.
I agree it was all in the play book, it just wasn't used as often as it is now. I think it's a combination of what you have said, guys in the system longer etc And what others are saying, more aggressive play calling. To say it's mainly because of better athletes is crazy though imo. We have been way more aggressive whether anyone wants to believe it or not. Safeties playing up, corners in more press coverage, stunts etc has been different, all you have to do is turn the film on to see that. Credit is deserved for CTR (play calling, and good game plan) CPJ (saying we need to be more aggressive) and the players (being more fundamentally sound).

IMO the 3 biggest improvements are tackling, play calling, and eye placement (we haven't been out of position nearly as much (imo that's because of guys being in the system longer and the play calling is allowing them to pin their ears back and go instead of read and react)

I've been impressed with the D so far and even though I have wanted Roof gone, I have said many times if he can get things turned around I'm fine. It looks like he has done just that and if it continues I'd be glad for him to stay. The D will be tested in atleast 4 of our final 7 games but from what I have seen out of them I see no reason why we can't end up as a top 40 D.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
As of this evening Tech's D is #2 in the ACC behind Clempson
What metrics? Overall D? D efficiency?

Edit: I can't find any D efficiency stats logged yet. We are currently 12th in the nation for total D. Of course we have played a lot less plays compared to other teams because of our system and 1 less game, but that's still pretty impressive.

We are 26th in total offense.

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
What metrics? Overall D? D efficiency?

Edit: I can't find any D efficiency stats logged yet. We are currently 12th in the nation for total D. Of course we have played a lot less plays compared to other teams because of our system and 1 less game, but that's still pretty impressive.

We are 26th in total offense.

Overall D

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Conor blitz’s... GT does that?

Changing the blitz if sniffed out before the snap... GT does that?

Blitzing two guys right into blockers... GT does not do that?

Penitration vs read and react... GT does that?

Safety blitz’s... GT does that?

Press coverage on third down... GT does that?

No... there have been some positive changes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's weird to me to see how the phrase "read and react" has become so vilified around here. All defenses read and react on every play. All defenders have keys they read have to make decisions (react) based on those reads. It's not a dirty word or a sign of weakness, it's football.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's weird to me to see how the phrase "read and react" has become so vilified around here. All defenses read and react on every play. All defenders have keys they read have to make decisions (react) based on those reads. It's not a dirty word or a sign of weakness, it's football.

IIuc:

If a defender is attacking a particular gap at the snap, they are doing something different than read and react. They are making the offense react to them.

It's not that "read and react" is a dirty word. It's just different.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Of course we have played a lot less plays compared to other teams because of our system and 1 less game, but that's still pretty impressive.

This year it really isn't about the offense much at all when it comes to the D. We've gotten a ton of 3 and outs. We're averaging forcing a punt once every 9 plays, which is top 10 in the nation. For reference we were about 1 every 20 last year which was bottom 10. To go along with that we're top 3 currently in opposing 3rd down conversion %. And while our offense does some times have long drives which limit total plays, they have also been terrible with turnovers, bottom 10 in giveaways per game, which has the opposite effect.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's because we are a more developed, more veteran group of players AND we are being more aggressive/doing some different things schematically.

It doesnt have to either or. I see both players winning one on one battles and stunts/alignments working. Definitely improved tackling.

Really funny to see the different sides of the old pro-Roof anti-Roof argument continue beating the tiresome, deadhorse argument.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
We were able to get pressure which is something I've been hoping to see. We did it both with blitzes but also just with better play by Anree and Simmons. We are still arm tackling and missing tackles too much for what should be a bunch of veterans. We were able to contain a mobile QB for the first time in my lifetime. I think we also have to remember the last three (and maybe even 4 depending on how UTs season goes) games are likely the worst teams we will see all year. We've patched some stuff up, but I still see some cracks in the foundation that could be exposed by more talented teams going forward.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Love how the D is playing. Flying around and making some nice hits, tackles, and getting some picks.

All of of this has come against teams with lesser talent than us imo. Just my perspective and not a dig, they D is making the plays they should make against these opponents. And the D has raised their game from last year imo.

Competition starts ramping up now. Talent we face will be better. Our success rates will likely lower, even if we continue to play well. This will lead right back to bitching and moaning though. Even if we keep winning imo.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Miami, Clemson, and uga all appear to be legitimately very good teams thus far. I don't think we have any games remaining against poor teams outside of maybe UVA....the rest all look solid and dangerous. And we never seem to play great at UVA so there is that also.

At least things should be exciting.

Jmonty71

Banned
Love how the D is playing. Flying around and making some nice hits, tackles, and getting some picks.

All of of this has come against teams with lesser talent than us imo. Just my perspective and not a dig, they D is making the plays they should make against these opponents. And the D has raised their game from last year imo.

Competition starts ramping up now. Talent we face will be better. Our success rates will likely lower, even if we continue to play well. This will lead right back to bitching and moaning though. Even if we keep winning imo.
Depends. If we win in a 55-46 (or something) shootout. Yes, yes people will gripe. If we win in a 23-17 type game, people will complain about the O. As for me, my gripe line is 20 points. I feel that the between a ball hogging offense and the talent, we have on defense, we should be able to keep most teams under 20 points. Now, will be play offensive juggernauts? Yes... Do I think we will keep them under 20? No. Do I expect to keep them under 35? Yes.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

It's all read and react, but still different at the same time. Let's say our DL stands up a guy on the OL, he then reads where the play is going and reacts to that. Same with the LB's they are reading and reacting on a play like that. What we have been doing by shooting gaps etc allows us to play downhill more, so it's less of read and more of just react. If the DL shoots gap a and the LB sees that gap is filled he's able to step into gap b faster and if the play goes another way he can move down the LOS to make a tackle on the backside. It's all about getting up field faster, and that's why it's more of just a reaction instead of "read and react". Of course you are still making a read in shooting gaps, but it's still different than the read and react we have been doing.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This year it really isn't about the offense much at all when it comes to the D. We've gotten a ton of 3 and outs. We're averaging forcing a punt once every 9 plays, which is top 10 in the nation. For reference we were about 1 every 20 last year which was bottom 10. To go along with that we're top 3 currently in opposing 3rd down conversion %. And while our offense does some times have long drives which limit total plays, they have also been terrible with turnovers, bottom 10 in giveaways per game, which has the opposite effect.
I agree, but the O still plays into that some. You can look at other top D's that get a lot of 3 and outs and they have had a lot more plays against them. But the D has definitely helped that cause.