Defense

incognito

Georgia Tech Fan
Re: Final Drive

You want to force them to play 4th downs multiple times before they get into FG range, on their side of the field. This gives you the advantage. Not just once on your own side of the field on a 50/50 ball. They have that tall athletic WR so its more like 60/40 or 70/30.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we had ball last with chance to win we could blame offense. Since we were winning and d had chance to win it and didnt its d's fault.... its a team game so its a team loss but if you had to blame one side...cant let other team drive 87 yards in rainstorm with 2 min left to beat you....thats why people are blaming the D!!

Yeah. No fault to the offense for failing to make a couple of first downs in the waning minutes of a close game to close it out...

slugboy

Staff member
Offense got 54 yards in the second half, and for a while it was 10 yards. Defense could have done better, but personally I feel like the defense still had a better day than the offense, and definitely a better second half. I saw a few heroic plays on both sides of the ball, including in the second half. But, when you lose by one, any mistake (dropped first down pass, missed block, etc.) is enough to lose the game. Makes no sense to look at Saturday's game and assign the blame to one phase of the game.

Jmonty71

Banned
Yeah. No fault to the offense for failing to make a couple of first downs in the waning minutes of a close game to close it out...
Allowing a score almost every time, before the half is on the D. Our 2 minute D is horrid. We play really soft.. I think, for that part, the issue the D. Does no good to play 95% of the game great, just to half way play for 5%. I'm not sure if it's no huddle, lack of depth, lack of conditioning, lack of play calling, lack of adjustments... or a mixture. But, somewhere the D breaks down in the crunch. That is the part I worry about. We did it against Miami and UT. We also did it against other teams, this year. Roof needs to keep being aggressive and stop playing not to lose. Because, that style of play has caused us to lose 2 games.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Does no good to play 95% of the game great, just to half way play for 5%.

Again, if you play good D for 95% of the game and give up TDs at the end of each half and lose, the problem still isn't the D.

You are looking for nits to pick. Yes, our 2 minute D needs work. We bent under the bubble screens but eventually got them into a 4th and long, where it took a circus worthy catch under double coverage to convert. Our D isn't why we lost to UM.

But, somewhere the D breaks down in the crunch. That is the part I worry about. We did it against Miami and UT. We also did it against other teams, this year. Roof needs to keep being aggressive and stop playing not to lose. Because, that style of play has caused us to lose 2 games.

Again, this is where your anti-CTR agenda bias shows. I'd argue that missing two makeable FG's, fumbling the ball away near the goal line, and consistently bad kickoffs giving the opposing team favorable field position were much bigger factors in our UT loss than the final drive by the D. We should have closed that game out long before UT had an option to tie on a final drive.

Same goes for UM. Our offensive collapse in the second half is why we lost that game. Had we converted a first down on our final offensive drive, we most likely are celebrating our newfound place in the top 25. Miami made a better single play at the end of the game. It beat us, but it beat us because our offense was shut down in the second half and couldn't put the game out of reach even after our D continuously got off the field without surrendering points.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Again, if you play good D for 95% of the game and give up TDs at the end of each half and lose, the problem still isn't the D.

You are looking for nits to pick. Yes, our 2 minute D needs work. We bent under the bubble screens but eventually got them into a 4th and long, where it took a circus worthy catch under double coverage to convert. Our D isn't why we lost to UM.

Again, this is where your anti-CTR agenda bias shows. I'd argue that missing two makeable FG's, fumbling the ball away near the goal line, and consistently bad kickoffs giving the opposing team favorable field position were much bigger factors in our UT loss than the final drive by the D. We should have closed that game out long before UT had an option to tie on a final drive.

Same goes for UM. Our offensive collapse in the second half is why we lost that game. Had we converted a first down on our final offensive drive, we most likely are celebrating our newfound place in the top 25. Miami made a better single play at the end of the game. It beat us, but it beat us because our offense was shut down in the second half and couldn't put the game out of reach even after our D continuously got off the field without surrendering points.

A case can be made either way: the offense should have moved the ball better than 54 yards in the second half, the offense should have gotten the critical 3rd downs in the fourth quarter, the defense should have defended the bubble screen better, the defense should have knocked away a fourth down pass in double coverage to the best receiver, football is the ultimate team game. Our guys know that the time for recriminations is past forget about it and get the next one. We win or lose as a team. "TOGETHER WE SWARM"

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
We are in a situation this year where Roof's style of defense works best, meaning we have a deep and experienced defensive backfield. We had this before was in 2014, when our ranking wasn't necessarily great, but we had a dynamic defense that was great at turnovers. My opinion is when you have more experienced DBs, dropping 7-8 in coverage works a lot better, as you have guys who are much more experienced and better at reading the offense and baiting the QB into mistakes.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Overall the D is still ranking pretty well. Sadly, 3 of the teams remaining on our schedule are all in the top 15, on defense. It does not get any easier. Minus Duke, of course. Call me impressed.
If you use yards per game, we're 17th in the ESPN top 20, not 7th. I think you have to do that because most teams have played 1 more game then we have. ESPN does some "corrections" to the NCAA figures (they have us 20th) and doesn't explain what those are (figures), so it's hard to tell where we actually sit from their stuff. The NCAA has Clemson ranked 10th, but the difference in total yards per game between us and them is 23 yards. I don't have the time to figure out if that's a "significant" difference, but I doubt it is. They've also allowed 4 fewer TDs then we have, but, again, I don't think that's enough to mark any great difference.

But all that is beside the point. We are playing much better D this year. Period. Full Stop.

Animal02

Banned
CPJ, on today's call in show, stated that the DBs giving too much cushion. Something that will be worked on.
Was wondering why during the Wake game, they would have 3 wide to one side, and often we only had to covering close.....everyone in the stands was screaming about it on one play.....then we somehow intercepted the ball. :rolleyes:

CPJ, on today's call in show, stated that the DBs giving too much cushion. Something that will be worked on.
It is a trade-off. Tighter press coverage when we don't have the God-given speed, hips, etc., of an NFL corner is an invitation to be beaten deep. There are reasons we are trying to keep the receivers in front of us. Sometimes we are on the short end of the athlete match up.