Defense

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
2 chances for the D to win the game and 2 loses. Whenever its late in the game and our D needs to make a stop to win. They won't. End of story. They play timid and shy. They are coached to be timid and no aggressive. Until we get a real DC, in place. One that can adjust, in game. One that can mix defenses. One that can actually disguise a blitz, we will continue to be nothing more than mediocre. Welcome to barely making a bowl, this year.
A lot of the reason we play like this is a talent issue Tech will continue to have. Sure we have a couple of good players on defense but name a player that will get drafted?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A lot of the reason we play like this is a talent issue Tech will continue to have. Sure we have a couple of good players on defense but name a player that will get drafted?
That would be tough to do on Syracuse players too?

Imo - we played well on defense e,crept for last series of Sideline passes. The guys were gassed but hustled. When Tre J came in he looked faster than the rest of the guys.

Our offense was stale. We only pulled parker one time iirc.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe AJ Gray with the size. Maybe.

Gray has a good shot. Simmons will be a late rounder. ASA might be another late rounder. Unfortunately, the Austins and Step are probably too short. I think Branch has a shot to get drafted as well, maybe as a DE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
By a long shot A j gray did not have an all conference performance . After lazt week i tbought he would have a monster game.

Jmonty71

Banned
By a long shot A j gray did not have an all conference performance . After lazt week i tbought he would have a monster game.
With proper coaching AJ could have a shot. He needs to learn how to lay the hammer down better and be a force to be dealt with. I think Roof holds him back. He should be out enforcing not chasing people around.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If Simmons ends the season with double digit sacks he will imo. Late rounder. Step Durham might as well, not a lot of picks but one of the top coverage corners in the ACC. Sometimes no plays is a good thing. It means you have tight coverage and the ball is not being throw at you.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
With proper coaching AJ could have a shot. He needs to learn how to lay the hammer down better and be a force to be dealt with. I think Roof holds him back. He should be out enforcing not chasing people around.
He's been sticking people the past three games.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
If Simmons ends the season with double digit sacks he will imo. Late rounder. Step Durham might as well, not a lot of picks but one of the top coverage corners in the ACC. Sometimes no plays is a good thing. It means you have tight coverage and the ball is not being throw at you.
Step gets picked on more than any corner on the team. He face guards pretty much every ball thrown his way.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Defense isn't why we lost to Miami. That was a hell of a fourth down catch that was extremely well defended. Once that catch was made, the game was essentially over. @Jmonty71 needs t review the offensive series that cost us the game, not continue hammering the defense that played well most of the game. We forced punts on 6/12 drives, and held Miami to FGs on 4/6 of their scoring drives. We are one miracle catch away from walking away with a win.

But hey, I guess the D is easily blamed as they were the last ones on the field...

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta is out of work because he can not coach defense.

Go Jackets!

And Tenuta refuses to recruit. Not many head coaches will put up with that. And he has a horrible attitude.

People need to go to the recruiting board and read Yomanser's comment about recruiting before Roof came on board.

And to revise the post of JMonty71: 2 chances for the O to win the game and 2 losses. Whenever its late in the game and our O needs to make a play to win. They haven't. End of story.

54 yards rushing in the second half yesterday. And the loss was the fault of Roof and the defense?

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
If we had ball last with chance to win we could blame offense. Since we were winning and d had chance to win it and didnt its d's fault.... its a team game so its a team loss but if you had to blame one side...cant let other team drive 87 yards in rainstorm with 2 min left to beat you....thats why people are blaming the D!!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Overall, I agree that the offense didn't score as much as it should have and the defense kept scoring down more than it has in past years. So, for the game as a whole, I agree that the loss is more on the offense.

Now, to my eyes that failure on offense was largely down to execution and just getting beat. For whatever reason, whether bad pitch relationship or defenders or trying to do too much, whatever, the veer in the second half didn't work as well as in the first half. Still, we had plays called on 3rd down that get 1st down yardage if executed well. Qua falls down on a passing route. Brad drops or gets pass broken up. Parker falls down when trying to pull. To me, it looked like our problems on O in the second half was a combination of weather and good play by good athletes on the other side.

On D, the drive that mattered at the end, had us giving up chunks of yardage by alignment. They were in FG range before we adjusted, iirc. That being said, they got called for an illegal block, and any problem with Roof's earlier play-calling is out the window. Then they just hit that big play in tight coverage.

So, I don't think you can blame either coach for this loss. We played a top 10 team to 1 pt in their house. It is what it is.