Declining Game Attendance

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I just feel we don't have the right culture. It is changing and quickly! But, Clemson? Its football first school second. Uga? Football then school. Bama, well we know bama.

We struggle with trying to be amazing in both, priority wise. I just feel something has to give either academics wins out and we stay average to above average or we are willing to put 110% I to the program, let other things suffer and go from there. It is give and take. We have taken a lot from this football program for years. Lack of proper equipment, lack of facilities, lack of investment. Now it's time to pony up the money. I'd love to see an extra 200 million invested in the program over the course of the next 10 years.

I'd love to double up on what Clemson has done with their recent facility. Kids love that crap. So feed it to them, and you'll start to see results. Otherwise winning a championship in today's game with 0-little funds is impossible.

Agree with your take on trying to walk both paths. TStan is changing the culture and message in ways I didn't think would ever happen. But in order to achieve the support the program needs, we need a buy in from the Hill. I think many of us take it for granted that will never happen. But if anyone can sell the value of athletics to the Institute, I believe TStan can.

Also, I don't think TStan was saying with $10 million more a year we'd be the class of the conference. I think he's saying if we want to have a chance to be competitive when we play them $10 million more per year is our immediate need as a start. That's just my uninformed perspective on it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My post/suggestion was not meant entirely seriously. Responding on how to get the "salmon" into the game instead of the library. (Bring the library to the game?) I'm 100% certain IRL that space could go to a higher and better use. I do think seriously, we need to find creative ways to get the student body more engaged for the long term health of the program.

Thanks for the respectful reply to a really dumb post!
Don’t they do some sort of international student football clinic?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I didn't read through the whole thread, but a little perspective from Boise, Idaho ... BSU has a 35,000 seat stadium and can't sell it out (the Boise (Treasure) Valley has a population of 650,000).
The main complaint from the fans, is the opposite of us, they complain of the late 8:00/8:30 start times for ESPN.
So last year the first game of the season against a decent opponent (for them), Troy, kick-off at 3:00 ... NOT a sell-out.
And, their season ticket sales are down as well ...
I’d say BSU’s problem is they don’t play anyone worth watching.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I’d say BSU’s problem is they don’t play anyone worth watching.
IMO< they also have a similar problem that we have, NO ONE who is a regular in the top 25 wants to play GT or BSU. They are terrified of what a loss would do to their fan base. "Fire his a$$ if he can't beat a squad of 3stars when we have 5stars coming out our wazoo!"

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
This is going to sound like a joke. But TStan has mentioned turning part of the new edge center into some sort of seating. What if we put a study room in one of the areas overlooking the stadium. For the athletes M-F, but open it to all students on game days. I feel like having our SA study room overlooking the field would be a powerful symbol of how Tech expects our SAs to excel in both areas. Having students working in a room overlooking the game on game days, feels like a branding opportunity about what Tech is- Work Hard, Play Hard, Become a Millionaire/Astronaut/Nobel Winner and we play P5 Ball. It'd get mentioned every time we're on a nationally broadcast game.
We should consider closing the Brittain Dining Hall and let students use a meal swipe for food at concession stand.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
There’s nothing wrong with bringing your kid to the game if you’re going to encourage them to actually enjoy the game and experience, they don’t even have to know anything at all about football, but if you bring a blanket coloring books an iPad etc. and just let your kid sit on in the isle blocking people and then get mad if someone bumps into your kid because they’re literally sitting in the floor, that’s what makes other mad.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
There’s nothing wrong with bringing your kid to the game if you’re going to encourage them to actually enjoy the game and experience, they don’t even have to know anything at all about football, but if you bring a blanket coloring books an iPad etc. and just let your kid sit on in the isle blocking people and then get mad if someone bumps into your kid because they’re literally sitting in the floor, that’s what makes other mad.

This!!!!! I know when I was a kid if I went to a game I went to a game. It's how you present it to the kid. And if you're kid just isnt into it. Dont make them go, making them miserable, making you miserable, to make other fans miserable.

If you need a task force of devices and things to distract your child from complaining they are at the game, maybe they shouldn't be there...

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
This!!!!! I know when I was a kid if I went to a game I went to a game. It's how you present it to the kid. And if you're kid just isnt into it. Dont make them go, making them miserable, making you miserable, to make other fans miserable.

If you need a task force of devices and things to distract your child from complaining they are at the game, maybe they shouldn't be there...
What if one needs a task force of devices to keep their wife from complaining? Prior to relocating we say next to a guy who would occasionally bring his wife whom would read People magazine throughout the entire game.

I agree with your sentiment and every kid is unique but I do think the earlier parents start bringing their kid the more into the game they will be. It is a sacrifice in the early years but should pay off in the long run.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
What if one needs a task force of devices to keep their wife from complaining? Prior to relocating we say next to a guy who would occasionally bring his wife whom would read People magazine throughout the entire game.

I agree with your sentiment and every kid is unique but I do think the earlier parents start bringing their kid the more into the game they will be. It is a sacrifice in the early years but should pay off in the long run.

Ugh leave those people at home! Either stand up and cheer or get out. (Unless a disability keeps your from being able to do so) I expect nothing less than your voice to be shot when you leave BDS on a Saturday. If it isnt I question your loyalty haha.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Mostly correct, here is their Home schedule ... UCONN, San Diego State, Colorado State, BYU, Fresno State, Utah State.
I immediately thought, “I’m sure the BYU game will have decent attendance” and then I looked at it seems the BYU game is their highest attended home game every year they play in Boise.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Yes and BTW (not to steal the thread), they don't play a pre-season ranked opponent, their toughest game on the schedule is at Oklahoma State ...
I listen to the local radio sports show and they have already highlighted to win this one game and "take care of business" and we are in a New Years Day bowl game ... this is basically their pattern.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
This reminded me of what I thought was the most interesting takeaway from the article:

"Stansbury believes that, to field teams that compete with the ACC’s best, the budget has to be $10 million larger than what it is now."
Ken used that number in context of selling more tickets. But that's the first time I remember seeing TStan (or any AD) put a number on where we need to be to compete. It's very refreshing to see him not throw around platitudes, but actually A) acknowledge we are short of the financial support level needed to be a top athletic program B) put a goal on it (achievable IMHO)

Tempted to start a new thread, so us Monday morning backseat drivers can brainstorm 'bright' ideas for TStan to raise $10 million.
I wonder how much we could raise here if everyone on this board promised to give 100 dollars

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Agree with your take on trying to walk both paths. TStan is changing the culture and message in ways I didn't think would ever happen. But in order to achieve the support the program needs, we need a buy in from the Hill. I think many of us take it for granted that will never happen. But if anyone can sell the value of athletics to the Institute, I believe TStan can.

What more do you believe the Hill should be doing?

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm no expert, but my guess is technically no. I'm betting that the app works via some kind of algorithm that determines the value of empty seats vs the potential of those seats being sold. In other words, Tech has figured out a way to make money on seats that would most likely be empty any way, while still capitalizing on the value of good seats. Thus my guess that the closer I wait to kick time to check in, the better my seats will be.

I would imagine the opposite. The goal is to get the stadium looking more full and this is especially true at the lower levels. I think the earlier you check in, the better the seat.