Declining Game Attendance

Milwaukee

Banned
Soccer doesn't go to break during the action, only halftime. It's beautiful.

I'm only guessing here but it's maybe because they are making all of their commercial/sponsor money on the jerseys themselves that they don't have to do all the tv crap. NBA is very close to adopting this as well from what I'm hearing. The Lakers jersey could have the Audi logo on the shoulder, for example. It's worth millions to the owners.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Gross. Bring the offspring once they're in their teens, don't ruin the experience for the football fans around you. It's great for the family photo album which is important, but it ruins people's experience trying to engage in the actual game. I sound like the grinch, I know. But what is a 5 year old taking from a football game? That's a rhetorical question.
They sat there cheered and watched the game. I'm 66 I raised my kids like I was if an adult ask you a question answer them other than that listen and don't talk. I agree not the way people do it now. As for what they got out of in my daughter is a nurse my son is a VP with the company he works for and even though they did not go to Tech they are big Tech fans and will be for life. Daughter has not missed a home game son did not till his kids started playing on Saturdays but he will go if they don't play. I would rather a family bring their kids to the game then not buy tickets. But I'm old fashioned and if I can sit in the same Stadium as our opposing teams fans then kids are fine.

Milwaukee

Banned
You go to games to get away from children? I go to games to watch and support our team.

If you're supporting our team with kids hanging off your legs and holding them in your arms then you're the person asking us to "please sit down and just be a little more quiet so we can see and hear". I know it sounds harsh man, but I'm telling it like it is.

Milwaukee

Banned
They sat there cheered and watched the game. I'm 66 I raised my kids like I was if an adult ask you a question answer them other than that listen and don't talk. I agree not the way people do it now. As for what they got out of in my daughter is a nurse my son is a VP with the company he works for and even though they did not go to Tech they are big Tech fans and will be for life. Daughter has not missed a home game son did not till his kids started playing on Saturdays but he will go if they don't play. I would rather a family bring their kids to the game then not buy tickets. But I'm old fashioned and if I can sit in the same Stadium as our opposing teams fans then kids are fine.

This is the rub. I'd much rather have people like you and your kids come than not come. It's a very touchy subject for me, I wish they would just allow me to sit at the gate and decide who gets to bring their kids in. Milwaukee the gatekeeper.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
is there anything worse than going to a game that IS being televised? it seems like you have 15 minutes of action in a 4 hour period. The rest is TV timeouts.
Have you been to a game at BDS in the last 10 years that was NOT televised? The most hated guy in the stadium is the official with the red hat, and he shows up for every game.

Milwaukee

Banned
It varies, used to be 218 I think season tix but now I buy where ever I find available. I've experienced the problematic kid issue everywhere in the stadium except for the upper expansion where the visitors seem to opt to just hire a sitter for the day.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Soccer doesn't go to break during the action, only halftime. It's beautiful.

I'm only guessing here but it's maybe because they are making all of their commercial/sponsor money on the jerseys themselves that they don't have to do all the tv crap. NBA is very close to adopting this as well from what I'm hearing. The Lakers jersey could have the Audi logo on the shoulder, for example. It's worth millions to the owners.

I would gladly trade every square inch on our uniforms for advertising if it meant no more commercial breaks during the game. We could look like NASCAR vehicles on the field but the net gain would be a positive one imo. I hate commercial breaks when I am at a game. When I am at home watching, they aren't nearly as annoying. Who doesn't appreciate fresh ice in their cocktails?

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve been in lower west and upper east for almost 30 years, some of those as a small child (gasp), and never had an issue with children. I’ve been bringing my 6 y/o to games since birth and wouldn’t think to attend without him. His bedtime is 800 so no night games for him but that’s not much of an issue with our scheduling.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I would gladly trade every square inch on our uniforms for advertising if it meant no more commercial breaks during the game. We could look like NASCAR vehicles on the field but the net gain would be a positive one imo. I hate commercial breaks when I am at a game. When I am at home watching, they aren't nearly as annoying. Who doesn't appreciate fresh ice in their cocktails?

All your posts on this have been right on target imo.

Haven’t read this particular article, but I’ve seen the same stats:

https://curiosity.com/topics/the-average-nfl-game-has-only-11-minutes-of-action-curiosity/

At the end of the day, there is the extremely die-hard, endure-anything fan. And then rest of us very enthusiastic, very supportive, but have a reality check on pros/cons of game day experience.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Gross. Bring the offspring once they're in their teens, don't ruin the experience for the football fans around you. It's great for the family photo album which is important, but it ruins people's experience trying to engage in the actual game. I sound like the grinch, I know. But what is a 5 year old taking from a football game? That's a rhetorical question.
I've been gping to college football games since I was 4, and some of my greatest memories are with my Dad around those games. Sure I had to be taufht some etiquette, mostly cheers and don't whack the guy in front of you with your shaker, but being a young kid at a game is only a problem in today's world because parent's won't allow their angels to misbehave/be rowdy in any way. And they don't want you being a bad influence.

Milwaukee

Banned
I've been gping to college football games since I was 4, and some of my greatest memories are with my Dad around those games. Sure I had to be taufht some etiquette, mostly cheers and don't whack the guy in front of you with your shaker, but being a young kid at a game is only a problem in today's world because parent's won't allow their angels to misbehave/be rowdy in any way. And they don't want you being a bad influence.

Well said.

Animal02

Banned
I’ve been in lower west and upper east for almost 30 years, some of those as a small child (gasp), and never had an issue with children. I’ve been bringing my 6 y/o to games since birth and wouldn’t think to attend without him. His bedtime is 800 so no night games for him but that’s not much of an issue with our scheduling.
My 10 y.o’s first Tech game was when he was 3 months. (It was his 4th college game, though first D1). He is already a die hard Tech fan....though Mich St. is a close second (mother).....insisted on have a GT backpack for school.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is the rub. I'd much rather have people like you and your kids come than not come. It's a very touchy subject for me, I wish they would just allow me to sit at the gate and decide who gets to bring their kids in. Milwaukee the gatekeeper.

Milwaukee, 2020!

LibertyTurns

Banned
My 10 y.o’s first Tech game was when he was 3 months. (It was his 4th college game, though first D1). He is already a die hard Tech fan....though Mich St. is a close second (mother).....insisted on have a GT backpack for school.
I hope you have my experience- 27yo son’s first game he was a month old. We never lived in Georgia so we traveled to games when I could. We moved around a fair amount so he’s seen GT play a lot of places. He “got out” a few years back now. We’ve been to Boise, SF, SJ, Provo, Jax, Mia, Tally, Clem, Raleigh, BC, Meadowlands when he was an infant/ kid. I may have missed a few. We’ve now added ND & Dublin. We live over 1000 miles apart but I see him more at GT football games than anywhere else. I’m confident he learned to cuss watching GT football, more than likely the mutt game because I don’t cuss much at the others. He learned the good word at a very early age. If I say so myself, I believe he was raised well.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I've had one person tell me to please stop standing on every other offensive play. I said, I'm sorry, I'm a fan... this teams success means my happiness for the whole week. So I get excited. I ride every season like a roller coaster. When we lose I feel lost, when we win I feel we can take on bama. I dont want to be an average rah rah fan. I love my jackets. I will stand yell and cheer for my team till my last breath. If you dont feel the same, give my way a try. I promise it's a hoot!

You should hear my creativity of avoiding profanity when there are kids 16 and under around me hahaha.

On another note, I wish our student section would have a pulse. Any pulse.

I want to see the opposing QBs girlfriends picture on a large poster in the endzone with buzz on her. Or something crazy to mess with the other team. I want other teams to not like coming to Atlanta because they know our fanbase hates them the moment they step on the field. I want out students to be rabid, and care about this program. I just fear we are such a culturally diverse school, that it will be difficult.... too many kids worried about other things than the football game.