Declining Game Attendance

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
So I know it will mainly affect students, but most $EC schools have a student who is sold out for the team and is on the field in front of the students with a dedicated set of speakers, leading the cheers. I'm guess there is an email blast to student ticket holders about dress and cheers etc for that Saturdays game. Called "Hype Men" I believe. Would this be something for us to look into?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
New rule at BDS@HGF should be if your tickets are in the lower bowl, no sitting except for the following times: Before the game. At halftime. When you get ready to leave. You may sit all you want in other areas of the stadium but your view may be blocked by fans cheering on the Yellow Jackets and booing whoever the hell we're playing.

Milwaukee

Banned
My strategy, make it a college football game day environment not a family picnic. Tired of being told to sit down by family’s who kids are on iPads.

To expand on this a bit, the JSU game last year was an absolute nightmare. It felt like we were at a daycare facility rather than a football game; we literally couldn't get excited/rowdy because we were worried about stepping on someone's damn kid.

The TN game at the Benz was a phenomenal experience. We felt like we were among adult football fans at an actual football game. Our section was rowdy as all hell, both GT and TN. Had a blast.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
To expand on this a bit, the JSU game last year was an absolute nightmare. It felt like we were at a daycare facility rather than a football game; we literally couldn't get excited/rowdy because we were worried about stepping on someone's damn kid.

The TN game at the Benz was a phenomenal experience. We felt like we were among adult football fans at an actual football game. Our section was rowdy as all hell, both GT and TN. Had a blast.
Kids are fine with me they grow up to be adult fans. My two are in their early 40's and have been going to the games since they were 5 . I agree with the Tenn game till the end.

Milwaukee

Banned
Kids are fine with me they grow up to be adult fans. My two are in their early 40's and have been going to the games since they were 5 . I agree with the Tenn game till the end.

Gross. Bring the offspring once they're in their teens, don't ruin the experience for the football fans around you. It's great for the family photo album which is important, but it ruins people's experience trying to engage in the actual game. I sound like the grinch, I know. But what is a 5 year old taking from a football game? That's a rhetorical question.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Gross. Bring the offspring once they're in their teens, don't ruin the experience for the football fans around you. It's great for the family photo album which is important, but it ruins people's experience trying to engage in the actual game. I sound like the grinch, I know. But what is a 5 year old taking from a football game? That's a rhetorical question.
I get what you're saying, but I remember going to games when I was around 5 and I was absolutely locked into the game. My dad said that I use to be the loudest fan in the section at GT games (I don't know if he meant that as a good or a bad thing though).

Milwaukee

Banned
I remember Bama games when I was 4 and 5, but I couldn't tell you what the hell was happening. I may as well have been at home. But I'm sure I had cotton candy, popcorn, a smile from ear to ear, and was annoying the ever living hell out of people around me. Go me.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
TV is killing attendance in 2 ways....first of all, you can now get almost any game televised or streamed. Secondly, is there anything worse than going to a game that IS being televised? it seems like you have 15 minutes of action in a 4 hour period. The rest is TV timeouts.

My question is this, and it is a serious one...how does televised soccer work commercially? seems like they can make that work without stopping play every 2-3 minutes for a 5 minute commercial break.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
TV is killing attendance in 2 ways....first of all, you can now get almost any game televised or streamed. Secondly, is there anything worse than going to a game that IS being televised? it seems like you have 15 minutes of action in a 4 hour period. The rest is TV timeouts.

My question is this, and it is a serious one...how does televised soccer work commercially? seems like they can make that work without stopping play every 2-3 minutes for a 5 minute commercial break.

Soccer keeps the game showing is a window so the action can be watched while the commercial is showing