Declining Game Attendance

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would gladly trade every square inch on our uniforms for advertising if it meant no more commercial breaks during the game.

This reminded me of what I thought was the most interesting takeaway from the article:

"Stansbury believes that, to field teams that compete with the ACC’s best, the budget has to be $10 million larger than what it is now."
Ken used that number in context of selling more tickets. But that's the first time I remember seeing TStan (or any AD) put a number on where we need to be to compete. It's very refreshing to see him not throw around platitudes, but actually A) acknowledge we are short of the financial support level needed to be a top athletic program B) put a goal on it (achievable IMHO)

Tempted to start a new thread, so us Monday morning backseat drivers can brainstorm 'bright' ideas for TStan to raise $10 million.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah those lol. Get them in the game!

This is going to sound like a joke. But TStan has mentioned turning part of the new edge center into some sort of seating. What if we put a study room in one of the areas overlooking the stadium. For the athletes M-F, but open it to all students on game days. I feel like having our SA study room overlooking the field would be a powerful symbol of how Tech expects our SAs to excel in both areas. Having students working in a room overlooking the game on game days, feels like a branding opportunity about what Tech is- Work Hard, Play Hard, Become a Millionaire/Astronaut/Nobel Winner and we play P5 Ball. It'd get mentioned every time we're on a nationally broadcast game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is going to sound like a joke. But TStan has mentioned turning part of the new edge center into some sort of seating. What if we put a study room in one of the areas overlooking the stadium. For the athletes M-F, but open it to all students on game days. I feel like having our SA study room overlooking the field would be a powerful symbol of how Tech expects our SAs to excel in both areas. Having students working in a room overlooking the game on game days, feels like a branding opportunity about what Tech is- Work Hard, Play Hard, Become a Millionaire/Astronaut/Nobel Winner and we play P5 Ball. It'd get mentioned every time we're on a nationally broadcast game.
How would they ever get any work done.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Nothing personal and in a perfect world what you are talking about would have some gravitas....but this isn't a perfect world and doubling down on the "elitist- nerd-every grad a millionaire" thing is going to continue to alienate Tech from the sidewalk fans we need to survive.

Right now Tech's problem is that marketing fails because Tech is not seen as cool and something that rank and file fans want to be associated with. If you grow up in Georgia, you are fed a steady diet of "UGA is cool and Tech sucks". That comes from both the dwag fanbase and the media.

Tech exists in the minds of many as the punchline of a joke and a canary in the coal mine. Georgia knows that when they start losing to Tech, it is time to rally the troops, spend the money and make whatever changes are necessary to right the ship.

Please understand, I think we should always put maximum effort into succeeding and we will be rewarded along the way, but if you think there is some magic combo of uniforms, marketing, beer gardens in the stadium, and jumpy castles for the kids that will put us on the road to consistent top 10 and a full stadium, you are plugged into the matrix.

Jmonty71

Banned

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This reminded me of what I thought was the most interesting takeaway from the article:

"Stansbury believes that, to field teams that compete with the ACC’s best, the budget has to be $10 million larger than what it is now."
Ken used that number in context of selling more tickets. But that's the first time I remember seeing TStan (or any AD) put a number on where we need to be to compete. It's very refreshing to see him not throw around platitudes, but actually A) acknowledge we are short of the financial support level needed to be a top athletic program B) put a goal on it (achievable IMHO)

Tempted to start a new thread, so us Monday morning backseat drivers can brainstorm 'bright' ideas for TStan to raise $10 million.

I just feel we don't have the right culture. It is changing and quickly! But, Clemson? Its football first school second. Uga? Football then school. Bama, well we know bama.

We struggle with trying to be amazing in both, priority wise. I just feel something has to give either academics wins out and we stay average to above average or we are willing to put 110% I to the program, let other things suffer and go from there. It is give and take. We have taken a lot from this football program for years. Lack of proper equipment, lack of facilities, lack of investment. Now it's time to pony up the money. I'd love to see an extra 200 million invested in the program over the course of the next 10 years.

I'd love to double up on what Clemson has done with their recent facility. Kids love that crap. So feed it to them, and you'll start to see results. Otherwise winning a championship in today's game with 0-little funds is impossible.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Nothing personal and in a perfect world what you are talking about would have some gravitas....but this isn't a perfect world and doubling down on the "elitist- nerd-every grad a millionaire" thing is going to continue to alienate Tech from the sidewalk fans we need to survive.

Right now Tech's problem is that marketing fails because Tech is not seen as cool and something that rank and file fans want to be associated with. If you grow up in Georgia, you are fed a steady diet of "UGA is cool and Tech sucks". That comes from both the dwag fanbase and the media.

Tech exists in the minds of many as the punchline of a joke and a canary in the coal mine. Georgia knows that when they start losing to Tech, it is time to rally the troops, spend the money and make whatever changes are necessary to right the ship.

Please understand, I think we should always put maximum effort into succeeding and we will be rewarded along the way, but if you think there is some magic combo of uniforms, marketing, beer gardens in the stadium, and jumpy castles for the kids that will put us on the road to consistent top 10 and a full stadium, you are plugged into the matrix.

And you're right. Yet, culture can change. It's when we spend millions for the right investors. It's when we pay these radio stations to talk about us for 30 mins a day. It's when we pay local news channels extra to show us ahead of uga. You have to grease people so that it can be shown to the public. "Basically mind control through media." But I'm all for it. Do whatever it takes.

Jmonty71

Banned
I just feel we don't have the right culture. It is changing and quickly! But, Clemson? Its football first school second. Uga? Football then school. Bama, well we know bama.

We struggle with trying to be amazing in both, priority wise. I just feel something has to give either academics wins out and we stay average to above average or we are willing to put 110% I to the program, let other things suffer and go from there. It is give and take. We have taken a lot from this football program for years. Lack of proper equipment, lack of facilities, lack of investment. Now it's time to pony up the money. I'd love to see an extra 200 million invested in the program over the course of the next 10 years.

I'd love to double up on what Clemson has done with their recent facility. Kids love that crap. So feed it to them, and you'll start to see results. Otherwise winning a championship in today's game with 0-little funds is impossible.
Of course you also named schools that the football players, actually attending class, is less than questionable. I know there are schools that give 5 star recruits money, cars, houses or large item gifts. Southern Cal got caught with Reggie Bush... That did the NCAA do? Punish Reggie Bush and give USC a slap on the wrist. So, given that, why follow the rules?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Of course you also named schools that the football players, actually attending class, is less than questionable. I know there are schools that give 5 star recruits money, cars, houses or large item gifts. Southern Cal got caught with Reggie Bush... That did the NCAA do? Punish Reggie Bush and give USC a slap on the wrist. So, given that, why follow the rules?

Exactly! I'm fine for whatever works. If you cant beat them then join them. Follow the path that works, just dont be the idiot to get caught with your pants at your ankles.

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow

On their own the uniforms won’t do much, but Russell was painfully uncool for the past few years. The change to adidas is huge for us. Our kids can actually feel proud of what they wear and how they look on the field. That positive energy will bleed into our public perception. I think it will remove an inferiority complex that has plagued our fan base and reduce the need for elitist retorts about the net worth of our alumni.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Damn I was with you all until the rampage about not bringing kids to the game. There is absolutely nothing I look forward to more than bringing my daughter to her first game which I’m hoping to try this year. I certainly don’t want anyone to feel they can’t stand and cheer throughout the game though and I certainly encourage you to never sit down.

I think most of the “game day experience” problems are self-inflicted from our own fans and not necessarily GT. You don’t need to do anything fancy for a great game day experience. If we have fans that actually get into the game, fill the stadium, stand, yell, and have fun, then you’ll have a damn good experience. Maybe spicing up the pregame/tailgating stuff would be something beneficial the GTAA could actually help with.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
raised differently.jpg

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

My post/suggestion was not meant entirely seriously. Responding on how to get the "salmon" into the game instead of the library. (Bring the library to the game?) I'm 100% certain IRL that space could go to a higher and better use. I do think seriously, we need to find creative ways to get the student body more engaged for the long term health of the program.

Thanks for the respectful reply to a really dumb post!

This post is 100% accurate! I had the pleasure of personally "fact checking" this at a game last year. @Supersizethatorder-mutt is & does ALL he claims here! THWG!
WOW, I had totally forgotten that we met last year. Thanks for the acknowledgement, although to say that I am all I claim here, means that you agree that I am REALLY OLD. LOL

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I didn't read through the whole thread, but a little perspective from Boise, Idaho ... BSU has a 35,000 seat stadium and can't sell it out (the Boise (Treasure) Valley has a population of 650,000).
The main complaint from the fans, is the opposite of us, they complain of the late 8:00/8:30 start times for ESPN.
So last year the first game of the season against a decent opponent (for them), Troy, kick-off at 3:00 ... NOT a sell-out.
And, their season ticket sales are down as well ...