Declining Game Attendance

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What more do you believe the Hill should be doing?

Specifically, and this is just one example: I got out in 2010. I was never told that Roll Call didn't support athletics. I guess if I'd looked at the fine print you could figure it out... But I didn't know until I saw it here on the Swarm. I get mailers, phone calls, etc ad nauseam for Roll Call. I thought I was supporting the whole Institute with my donation. Didn't know I has to make a separate donation to support athletics. If I understand correctly, "the Hill" doesn't share it's contact/address lists with the Athletic Department. Which hamstrings their ability to reach out to the alumni and community unless those alumni contact athletics first.

The deal Monday with players having to skip practice for class another example. I agree that school should trump football. But CPJ said in his press conference they'd "been trying to work on it". Reporter asked how they were working on it CPJ said "Looking for classes, looking at what's needed to graduate, seeing if we can substitute things." Sounded like "the Hill" isn't putting our student athletes in a position to succeed on both sides of their mission. We shouldn't be bringing in a SA with an expectation to play football and get a degree, then have the Institute scheduling overlapping mandatory activities. Not fair to the SAs IMHO.

Specifically, and this is just one example: I got out in 2010. I was never told that Roll Call didn't support athletics. I guess if I'd looked at the fine print you could figure it out... But I didn't know until I saw it here on the Swarm. I get mailers, phone calls, etc ad nauseam for Roll Call. I thought I was supporting the whole Institute with my donation. Didn't know I has to make a separate donation to support athletics. If I understand correctly, "the Hill" doesn't share it's contact/address lists with the Athletic Department. Which hamstrings their ability to reach out to the alumni and community unless those alumni contact athletics first.

The deal Monday with players having to skip practice for class another example. I agree that school should trump football. But CPJ said in his press conference they'd "been trying to work on it". Reporter asked how they were working on it CPJ said "Looking for classes, looking at what's needed to graduate, seeing if we can substitute things." Sounded like "the Hill" isn't putting our student athletes in a position to succeed on both sides of their mission. We shouldn't be bringing in a SA with an expectation to play football and get a degree, then have the Institute scheduling overlapping mandatory activities. Not fair to the SAs IMHO.
The Hill has little if anything to do with mailing lists. That's the Alumni Association. Take up your (our) beef with them. I feel pretty sure that the classes/practices conflict has pretty much always existed at Tech. You just learn to work with it, and I believe CPJ understands and does that.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

As @Supersizethatorder-mutt said, Roll Call is run by the alumni association. Others on here have posted that the alumni association doesn't really care about athletics. I believe it was @CuseJacket that said he is active in the alumni community, but that the alumni leadership won't even let local organizers actively encourage athletically minded interactions with the alumni. It would probably take getting into the alumni association leadership to change that. However, it isn't "the Hill", it is the alumni association.

As to classes, there were classes required for my degree that were only offered one session once a year. Even for me, not involved in athletics/children/family situations/etc it was a hassle. I had to make sure that I set aside time to schedule such classes in the appropriate class year at whatever time the professor scheduled it. It isn't ideal, but I posed the question in that thread: What time of day and day of week would work perfectly without any conflict whatsoever for a single class that is required for graduation? No matter what you are going to have some students who schedule classes in the morning and work/activities in the afternoon and others who schedule work/activities in the morning and classes in the afternoon. No time will work perfectly for everyone. I agree it isn't fair to the SAs. It also isn't fair to students with families. It also isn't fair to students who work to support themselves and pay for school. It isn't fair to any student who has any other obligations besides school. However, can the school say if: you have practice, you have children, you have a job, that you don't have to meet the degree requirements?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
As @Supersizethatorder-mutt said, Roll Call is run by the alumni association. Others on here have posted that the alumni association doesn't really care about athletics. I believe it was @CuseJacket that said he is active in the alumni community, but that the alumni leadership won't even let local organizers actively encourage athletically minded interactions with the alumni. It would probably take getting into the alumni association leadership to change that. However, it isn't "the Hill", it is the alumni association.

As to classes, there were classes required for my degree that were only offered one session once a year. Even for me, not involved in athletics/children/family situations/etc it was a hassle. I had to make sure that I set aside time to schedule such classes in the appropriate class year at whatever time the professor scheduled it. It isn't ideal, but I posed the question in that thread: What time of day and day of week would work perfectly without any conflict whatsoever for a single class that is required for graduation? No matter what you are going to have some students who schedule classes in the morning and work/activities in the afternoon and others who schedule work/activities in the morning and classes in the afternoon. No time will work perfectly for everyone. I agree it isn't fair to the SAs. It also isn't fair to students with families. It also isn't fair to students who work to support themselves and pay for school. It isn't fair to any student who has any other obligations besides school. However, can the school say if: you have practice, you have children, you have a job, that you don't have to meet the degree requirements?

Yeah if you play football and drive revenue for the school you get a break. Or they make it relaxed. Maybe special degree courses for student athletes.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Did you quit coming to the games because of this? I've heard lots of reasons why people give up season tix but never because someone asked them to sit down.
No I’ve been to at least 1 game every year since 2008, but I’ve noticed the experience has gotten worse. as I’ve gotten older I’ve gotten more passionate about GT Football, and sometimes I let my excitement show which is apparently foreign to some fans.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
No I’ve been to at least 1 game every year since 2008, but I’ve noticed the experience has gotten worse. as I’ve gotten older I’ve gotten more passionate about GT Football, and sometimes I let my excitement show which is apparently foreign to some fans.

I feel tech fans are now ones that went to school for the degree and go to the games to show support but are let's say... "more refined". As they would like to be called.

Maybe they like football, but not enough to really care if we win or lose. Like a oh well next time type of fan. Not a, great I have to drink that game away tonight type of fan. I land far more on the latter side haha

As far as sharing mailing lists, it might be somewhat cumbersome, but the Athletics Association could always get a copy of the official Alumni Directory, which is sent out regularly, if not annually to alums. I would gladly give them my latest copy, assuming I could find it...LOL

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
My contact at the alumni association knows how much I contribute to Roll Call and how much I contribute to AT. When Bigfoot wouldn't answer a letter that I wrote to him-even though as a 30 year AT contributor I asked for a response--I cut my donation. I raised it after Stansbury came. My contact had that information. There is clearly sharing of information.

There is less cooperation than there used to be. I am not sure were the blame lies. In the 1980's, they formed Georgia Tech Clubs that were for athletics and academics. The AA supplied speakers--we had Curry, Ross, Lewis and Cremins, and some assistant coaches, even though we were a small club. That doesn't happen anymore, and I don't know why. I used to be in the loop, but there seems to be less effort to keep folks in the loop than there used to be unless you give big, big donations. Most of that effort came from the GTAA when Homer was there. It definitely declined under Braine, and has never gotten back to where it was.

The GTAA had poor leadership from Braine to Bigfoot, although Radakovich wasn't horrible. I blame the Hill to the degree that it has selected the AD's. Clough was responsible for Braine, for example, and that began the slide.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yeah if you play football and drive revenue for the school you get a break.s.

Really? The yearly budget for the entire athletic association is about $80 million. The school is about $1.8 billion. The research corporation is about $370 million. I think people believe that $80 million is a lot of money. However, compared to the school and the research corporation the GTAA's budget is about 4% of the budget of the school and the research corporation. I'm not trying to put athletics down, but that sports driving revenue is a tail wagging the dog type of statement.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Really? The yearly budget for the entire athletic association is about $80 million. The school is about $1.8 billion. The research corporation is about $370 million. I think people believe that $80 million is a lot of money. However, compared to the school and the research corporation the GTAA's budget is about 4% of the budget of the school and the research corporation. I'm not trying to put athletics down, but that sports driving revenue is a tail wagging the dog type of statement.

No,, I'm saying they will make tons more if they put funds into the athletic program. The more brand exposure you have the better. It will drive sales of goods, and get kids from a young age wanting to apply. It will increase everything as a whole. If georgia didnt have a football program I bet there yearly applicants go down 10-15%. Maybe 20!

Tech has a chance to develop a program that drives more money into the school. Take it while you can. If we aren't spending 120million plus on athletics then we are behind the curve.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No,, I'm saying they will make tons more if they put funds into the athletic program. The more brand exposure you have the better. It will drive sales of goods, and get kids from a young age wanting to apply. It will increase everything as a whole. If georgia didnt have a football program I bet there yearly applicants go down 10-15%. Maybe 20!

Tech has a chance to develop a program that drives more money into the school. Take it while you can. If we aren't spending 120million plus on athletics then we are behind the curve.

Where do you propose the $120 million a year come from. The school cannot legally pay more. If you want GTAA to spend $120 million a year, it will have to come from us.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Where do you propose the $120 million a year come from. The school cannot legally pay more. If you want GTAA to spend $120 million a year, it will have to come from us.

Haha sure will! That's why it's a slippery slope. Is the school allowed to take out loans? Hahaha. Or ask the city (tax payers) to pay for the stadium updates? Lol

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Haha sure will! That's why it's a slippery slope. Is the school allowed to take out loans? Hahaha. Or ask the city (tax payers) to pay for the stadium updates? Lol

The school can take out loans, but they have a large endowment so wouldn't need to. It doesn't matter. They cannot spend more money on athletics, period. The Athletic Association has to raise 90% of their revenue from things other than the school or students by regulation. The school cannot raise additional funds from student fees, nor can it use money out of the endowment for athletics. The school cannot even allow the athletic association to use school buildings and resources without the athletic association paying for the use. That is why I am asking where you propose the money comes from. It cannot come from the school.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
The school can take out loans, but they have a large endowment so wouldn't need to. It doesn't matter. They cannot spend more money on athletics, period. The Athletic Association has to raise 90% of their revenue from things other than the school or students by regulation. The school cannot raise additional funds from student fees, nor can it use money out of the endowment for athletics. The school cannot even allow the athletic association to use school buildings and resources without the athletic association paying for the use. That is why I am asking where you propose the money comes from. It cannot come from the school.

That's per ncaa?

Atlanta United is doing very well with the Millennial generation. Young people enjoy entertainment. Tech football games are decades behind the experience of an Atlanta United match.
IMO college football, whether it's Tech or somebody else, is always more entertaining than a soccer match. The millennials can't be going for the excitement of the match, so what is it that entertains them?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
IMO college football, whether it's Tech or somebody else, is always more entertaining than a soccer match. The millennials can't be going for the excitement of the match, so what is it that entertains them?

The way it was branded. It was from the start funded for advertising. Branded as something "new and hip". This age of America is extremely influenced by the media.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah if you play football and drive revenue for the school you get a break. Or they make it relaxed. Maybe special degree courses for student athletes.

Yeah, that’s the ticket Boger. UGA is starting an engineering school for those not smart enough to get into GT. Maybe engineers taking those engineering degrees could design a bridge like the one that collapsed in Italy. Wouldn’t that be just swell. Boger, did you attend GT?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that’s the ticket Boger. UGA is starting an engineering school for those not smart enough to get into GT. Maybe engineers taking those engineering degrees could design a bridge like the one that collapsed in Italy. Wouldn’t that be just swell. Boger, did you attend GT?

No I did not. Georgia State.

But, that can happen anywhere. I hate to break it, but that can happen anywhere. I'm saying mixing high academics and athletes will never equal another championship. So have to give one way or another. Lower expectations or lower academic requirements for student athletes. It's an either, or. Bama players wouldn't make it on techs regime. Yet those are the kids we need to recruit.