Declining Game Attendance

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ng-bobby-dodd-stadium/FQ99zOMo98ynDaHCHP6x0M/

This is an interesting read. The problem is clearly not unique to Tech. I've actually purchased 2 Stinger Mobile Passes for this season. I live 2 1/2 hours away from Atlanta and have 2 small kids, so there have been too many variables for me to pull the trigger on season tickets in the past. But at $149 each, I figure the mobile pass is a win-win. I'm a little concerned about not knowing where I'm going to sit until I get within a mile of the stadium, but I'm guessing that the closer it gets to game time before I check in, the better the seats will be (supply and demand). I may try to post some pictures from the seats I end up with for each game.

This isn't the way I'd like to attend the games, but for where I am at this point in my life, it's a great way for me to get to more games without having to worry about the ones I may need to miss.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I hadn't even heard of the Mobile Pass until I read this article. Sounds interesting and I may jump on that next year.

I think it's just too enjoyable nowadays to watch games at home. TVs have gotten too nice, beer is better/cheaper at home, food is better, it costs me nearly nothing, and I can invite over a large group of people who would otherwise be unwilling to drop big cash on the game. I'm still going to attend as many games as I can, but I no longer feel like I'm missing out too much when I end up watching at home. I think things like the Stinger Mobile Pass and the some other additions will go a long way for getting people back to the games. But as the article said, this isn't a unique problem to Tech.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I saw this late last month when they announced it and will b e getting this next year. For some one like me who is only able to make 2-3 games a year, $149 is not bad. Just non-transferable if I can't go, so it's going to make me take a day off work and drive up from southeast Georgia for the Thursday games. Aside from the tickets, are there any other benefits @sc jacket 22?

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
The Stinger Mobile Pass is also available for basketball - or at least I'm assuming it will be this season. Last year they sold out in 2 hours, hope they add more so more people can snag them!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It’s only going to get worse. Millennials are too into technology and social networking. I look for participation activities to drop significantly in the coming decades. Plus with the rising cost of everything, there’s only so much money to go around. Proof is in the ESPN drop in viewership.

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow
What happens to the Mobile Pass seats that don't get used for a particular game? Just empty?

I'm no expert, but my guess is technically no. I'm betting that the app works via some kind of algorithm that determines the value of empty seats vs the potential of those seats being sold. In other words, Tech has figured out a way to make money on seats that would most likely be empty any way, while still capitalizing on the value of good seats. Thus my guess that the closer I wait to kick time to check in, the better my seats will be.

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw this late last month when they announced it and will b e getting this next year. For some one like me who is only able to make 2-3 games a year, $149 is not bad. Just non-transferable if I can't go, so it's going to make me take a day off work and drive up from southeast Georgia for the Thursday games. Aside from the tickets, are there any other benefits @sc jacket 22?

No benefits other than being "guaranteed a ticket for every home game." And actually you can "transfer" the tickets if you're willing to give someone your username and password to access them. I actually went in on this with my parents - they paid for a pass, and my wife and I paid for a pass - and we are going to mix who goes to what game. You can purchase up to 2 seats together.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
For increasing game attendance, look at whatever the heck Atlanta United is doing - crazy attendance records and an avid fanbase. Granted they're different games / professional levels but worth a look into IMO

20170430_atlutd_dcunited-3218.jpg

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
What happens to the Mobile Pass seats that don't get used for a particular game? Just empty?
This is only relevant if we have a sell out so it won't matter this year. I'm not sure what they would do in the case of a sellout.