Dec 2

GTFLETCH

Banned
Not that it would matter if we were in the ACCCG, but with finals at Tech being the week after December 2, I have to wonder how the players feel about the prospect of playing a meaningless game that weekend. I wasn't an athlete when I was at Tech, but I don't ever recall the week before finals being a very fun time.

So a 12th game is meaningless? Interesting... Wonder why we schedule 12 games...I could go on and explain how a 8 win season gets us a better record and better Bowl placement and the oppurtunity to have the team finish at 9 games if we win the Bowl Game.

However, if the players and/or anyone in GTAA view any game meaningless we need to end the football program ASAP.

I guess this line of thinking is why the Georgia Tech Football program is in the current state it is in... smh

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
So a 12th game is meaningless? Interesting... Wonder why we schedule 12 games...I could go on and explain how a 8 win season gets us a better record and better Bowl placement and the oppurtunity to have the team finish at 9 games if we win the Bowl Game.

However, if the players and/or anyone in GTAA view any game meaningless we need to end the football program ASAP.

I guess this line of thinking is why the Georgia Tech Football program is in the current state it is in... smh

It's not GT (unless you blame us hiring someone running the TO, in which case it's entirely GT). Scheduling is a two way street and for most teams the game is meaningless unless they are on a verge of a bowl. It sucks UCF bailed but good god it's not Just GTs fault another school doesn't want to voluntarily play a triple option team on short notice.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

So in your opinion finals are meaningless? Why should student athletes care anything about school work? They should only concentrate on sports as sports is what will provide for them their entire life?

I believe the post be rev was saying that the week will be a difficult one for the players in other areas of their lives. I think his point was that if they were playing in a game scheduled at the last minute which doesn't affect their ability to go to a bowl or to win a championship, that it will be asking a lot of them. Potentially the only benefit would be to fans who want to watch another game.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

GTFLETCH

Banned
So in your opinion finals are meaningless? Why should student athletes care anything about school work? They should only concentrate on sports as sports is what will provide for them their entire life?

I believe the post be rev was saying that the week will be a difficult one for the players in other areas of their lives. I think his point was that if they were playing in a game scheduled at the last minute which doesn't affect their ability to go to a bowl or to win a championship, that it will be asking a lot of them. Potentially the only benefit would be to fans who want to watch another game.

If the only benefit would be for fans to watch a 12th game and Georgia Tech Football players do not want to play a 12th game and coaches do not want to coach a 12th game, even though 12 games are the standard.

Georgia Tech has a huge problem.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Thankfully, Tech has a great student athlete support program with study halls, tutors, etc., and that support has contributed to a good graduation rate. That support helps the SAs to organize their time, complete assignments, keep up with classwork AND do all those things necessary to compete athletically at the highest level. Our SAs are dedicated and want to compete and play games or else they leave their teams. They will be alright if a Dec 2 game does miraculously appear.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
In writing earlier about a 12th game, it crossed my mind that someone might harp on my use of the word "meaningless". (RonJohn, I thank you for your very eloquent and precisely accurate defense of my comment. )
GTFletch, like you, I do very much wish we had a 12th game. I've made suggestions before about possible opponents. I wish we had a game on 12/2... in Charlotte, against Clemson...
But since our present prospects for a 12/2 game likely won't affect our bowl destination, we shouldn't let ourselves fall into the mindset of thinking that GT exists solely for the purpose of providing its alumni with a decent football team.
I have long been a passionate fan of GT football, but we have to keep things in perspective. At the end of the present semester, the young men on our football team are going to benefit far more from the work they do towards their degree than the preparation they put into a game that might add a W to our overall record. I certainly don't see that perspective as a huge problem. Besides, if we beat Duke and Georgia, we won't care a twit about a game on December 2.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
In writing earlier about a 12th game, it crossed my mind that someone might harp on my use of the word "meaningless". (RonJohn, I thank you for your very eloquent and precisely accurate defense of my comment. )
GTFletch, like you, I do very much wish we had a 12th game. I've made suggestions before about possible opponents. I wish we had a game on 12/2... in Charlotte, against Clemson...
But since our present prospects for a 12/2 game likely won't affect our bowl destination, we shouldn't let ourselves fall into the mindset of thinking that GT exists solely for the purpose of providing its alumni with a decent football team.
I have long been a passionate fan of GT football, but we have to keep things in perspective. At the end of the present semester, the young men on our football team are going to benefit far more from the work they do towards their degree than the preparation they put into a game that might add a W to our overall record. I certainly don't see that perspective as a huge problem. Besides, WHEN we beat Duke and Georgia, we won't care a twit about a game on December 2.

FIFY

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If the only benefit would be for fans to watch a 12th game and Georgia Tech Football players do not want to play a 12th game and coaches do not want to coach a 12th game, even though 12 games are the standard.

Phil Mickelson missed the US Open to attend his daughter's graduation. Does that mean that golf isn't important to him?

You seem to be saying that the players should want to play a 12th game. I'm sure that they do want to. High school kids would like to stay up all night in school nights chatting with their friends. Most adults are wise enough to not allow that because it would interfere with their ability to learn at school. Rev is trying to say that if the stakes of twelfth game are not high, maybe the adults should let them concentrate on other things that in life end up being more important.

GTFLETCH

Banned

No finals are not meaningless... But if we are using an excuse not to pay a team to play us on Dec 2 and trying to use finals as an excuse.... Then we have an issue. Why?? Because no one would be using finals as an excuse to play in the ACCCG if we would have qualified for that game.

Bottomline there has been a team who said they would play us, we would have to go to their house... We have a a team that would come to our house, but they need $ome $$... It is what it is!!!!!!

Animal02

Banned
No finals are not meaningless... But if we are using an excuse not to pay a team to play us on Dec 2 and trying to use finals as an excuse.... Then we have an issue. Why?? Because no one would be using finals as an excuse to play in the ACCCG if we would have qualified for that game.

Bottomline there has been a team who said they would play us, we would have to go to their house... We have a a team that would come to our house, but they need $ome $$... It is what it is!!!!!!
It is one thing to pay a team to play us as part of the regular season / ticket package. Now you are expecting Tech to pay out for a game that would have very questionable attendance and the only reason is having a 12th game.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow

Which teams are you referencing? I don't recall any member of the GTAA or team saying this. But, I'm not even close to "in the know."

GTFLETCH

Banned
I have long been a passionate fan of GT football, but we have to keep things in perspective. At the end of the present semester, the young men on our football team are going to benefit far more from the work they do towards their degree than the preparation they put into a game that might add a W to our overall record. I certainly don't see that perspective as a huge problem. Besides, if we beat Duke and Georgia, we won't care a twit about a game on December 2.

First your thought that if we schedule an additional game on 12/2 and we win will not affect Bowl bids is crazy... (Lets say we beat duke and lose UGAg, but beat a G5 team on 12/2 (UTSA/Fresno St. Col St) we would finish 7-5, much better than a 6-5 schedule.... (If we run the tables and win the last three games and end up 8-4... that is a better Bowl slot then say 7-4)

I understand your position about finals and at the end of the day if finals are more important than playing football on Dec 2, then it should be more important every Dec 2. So there lies the rub.

Third GT can't find a team interested in playing at home for the price "they" GTAA wants to pay. That is different than college teams being scared to play us. Again supply and demand the longer we wait the higher the price...

Lastly it is ok if we do not play a 12th game, but folks are not being transparent. We could have had GA State in Oct but we did not want to pay the fee or price to move the sunbelt game... we are in Bigboy P-5 football but are being ran on a FCS budget. Who changes that?? Starts with the GTAA and their leadership, but also all the fans who are using the excuse of finals as a reason not to play on Dec 2 need to take a long hard look at themselves and maybe just maybe make a call or send an email and say enough is enough, lets start acting like a P-5 football program!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

There are way too many “if’s” in your statement and in general here to have the level of anger you’re showing about this issue. This is not a unilateral decision by us, we need to find an opponent willing to schedule us on short notice. In case you haven’t noticed, teams aren’t really lining up to schedule us even 10 years down the road.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We could have had GA State in Oct but we did not want to pay the fee or price to move the sunbelt game... we are in Bigboy P-5 football but are being ran on a FCS budget. Who changes that?? Starts with the GTAA and their leadership, but also all the fans who are using the excuse of finals as a reason not to play on Dec 2 need to take a long hard look at themselves and maybe just maybe make a call or send an email and say enough is enough, lets start acting like a P-5 football program!

Where did you get information that all it took to get Ga State was money? That move would have involved moving conference games for their league. I'm sure the ACC would not move conference games to allow a pac-12 team to schedule a game quickly.

Also, if you aren't happy with the GTAA budget, then the only solution is to donate more money. They can't spend money that they don't have, and GT fans are pathetic when it comes to donating.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

If you’re gonna make a claim like that and use it to bash our school, you need to back it up. Who are these teams, and where did you see this info? Otherwise I’ll take this with the same level of skepticism as a rando tweet from a jabroni.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It is one thing to pay a team to play us as part of the regular season / ticket package. Now you are expecting Tech to pay out for a game that would have very questionable attendance and the only reason is having a 12th game.

Since nobody really “gets out” within 4 years, make it “super senior” night to honor the Van Wilders among us who took our time (6 year undergrad here!). Make it a party atmosphere and we’ll be there!

GTFLETCH

Banned
There are way too many “if’s” in your statement and in general here to have the level of anger you’re showing about this issue. This is not a unilateral decision by us, we need to find an opponent willing to schedule us on short notice. In case you haven’t noticed, teams aren’t really lining up to schedule us even 10 years down the road.
I agree with your statement.... We are going to have to pay to play teams. G5 and FCS teams, that is not new... But the price has gone up... look at Ohio State and Tulane.. Ohio State paid them a cool 1 Million, and they canxed us... Does anyone expect GTAA to pay a million for a G5 game, nope.... But that million payout just ensured we are going to have to start paying G5 teams what we use to pay FCS teams...

GTFLETCH

Banned
If you’re gonna make a claim like that and use it to bash our school, you need to back it up. Who are these teams, and where did you see this info? Otherwise I’ll take this with the same level of skepticism as a rando tweet from a jabroni.
Mark Roundtree said we may have to travel to play a G5 team, not sure why that fell through. Maybe it has not. If you are a season ticket holder why don't you email or call him! 404.894.5411 or email him at [email protected]