Dec 2

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
How does anyone know the Seniors would even want this instead of more rest before a bowl game?

Could the coaches use that time recruiting instead?

And I see this, potentially, being a financial and/or PR disaster. Are the students in school then? I would think so.

If this does happen, it likely would be best to play an FBS team on the road. We are trying to replace a road game.

Just reminds me of our long ago experiment of playing Clemson in the Omni, when Dwayne Morrison was our coach. I am a little gun-shy about things like this. And also, in 1980, one week after tying #1 ranked n.d. @ Grant Field, we played navy in front of 17,000 @ Grant Field.

Thinking of going thru things like this hurts an old supporters soul.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I want Florida, here or in the swamp, doesn’t matter. We would pound them til they begged for mercy. No way would they even consider it, though.

GTFLETCH

Banned
How does anyone know the Seniors would even want this instead of more rest before a bowl game?

And I see this, potentially, being a financial and/or PR disaster. Are the students in school then? I would think so.

If this does happen, it likely would be best to play an FBS team on the road. We are trying to replace a road game.

Just reminds me of our long ago experiment of playing Clemson in the Omni, when Dwayne Morrison was our coach. I am a little gun-shy about things like this. And also, in 1980, one week after tying #1 ranked n.d. @ Grant Field, we played navy in front of 17,000 @ Grant Field.

First...we are talking about Dec 2nd, same day as the ACC title game, so students in school wouldn't be an issue, unless it is an issue when we have played in the ACC title game before... If this is true, we need to drop our Football program immediately.

Second, if the football players do not want to play a 12th game then this might be another reason to drop our program.

Third when we play in the ACC title game we never hear about how the extra game week hurts recruiting, because it doesn't.

Basically what has happened is that GTAA has failed the team and the fans once again. They should have secured a 12th game and they have not.

Do you want to know why GT fans have quit coming and supporting the team? (Why we only have about 30K in season ticket holders, instead of more)

Because it seems like the GTAA is not committed to the program. This is yet again another let down. I can name some of them... but I won't, what I will say if the GTAA was serious about the 12th game, we would have one lined up. Everything else is smoke and mirrors... It is what it is.

GTFLETCH

Banned
The Florida Gaytors will never agree to play us we already embarrass the esecpn conference when we get the chance.
It comes down to GTAA commitment... Being one of the lowest funded ACC football programs in the ACC really is highlighted during this nonsense.

Teams we would be able to contact at FBS level are:

Florida
Houston
UTSA
Colorado State (Hawaii Rule)
San Diego St ( Hawaii Rule)
Fresno State (Hawaii Rule)

FCS
Northern Colorado (UF game was canx, never scheduled make-up game )
Western Carolina (Hawaii rule)

So while Florida may not want to play us we should be able to pay a G5 or FCS team eligible to come to us. However being Georgia Tech we do not want to pay.(same reason we the GA State game stalled, we wouldn't pay for another team to move)

Ok say travel to UTSA or another G5 team of pay for a FCS team to come to u( after the Duke win and only after a Duke win should a FCS be considered)

However I do not think the GTAA is committed to the program. Just another example of Tech running our program like a CUSA or Sunbelt program. It is what it is.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

My guess is that most seniors want to play as many games as possible. For most of them, they will never play football again after this season ends. They’ve put so much work into preparation over the 4 to 5 years of their college career, I can all but promise you that they would relish one more game.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It comes down to GTAA commitment... Being one of the lowest funded ACC football programs in the ACC really is highlighted during this nonsense.

Teams we would be able to contact at FBS level are:

Florida
Houston
UTSA

FCS

So while Florida may not want to play us we should be able to pay a G5 or FCS team eligible to come to us. However being Georgia Tech we do not want to pay.(same reason we the GA State game stalled, we wouldn't pay for another team to move)

Ok say travel to UTSA or another G5 team of pay for a FCS team to come to u( after the Duke win and only after a Duke win should a FCS be considered)

However I do not think the GTAA is committed to the program. Just another example of Tech running our program like a CUSA or Sunbelt program. It is what it is.

You do realize that the other team has to agree to play you as well, right? Perhaps we were turned down by those 8 schools...it's not like we have 120 teams to choose from

GTFLETCH

Banned
You do realize that the other team has to agree to play you as well, right? Perhaps we were turned down by those 8 schools...it's not like we have 120 teams to choose from

We reached out to...
Florida
Houston
UTSA (UTSA is open to us traveling to them, maybe)

I do not think they reached out to

or
FCS

I could be wrong (But that is not what is reported).... But if we want a 12th home game we will have to pay...

GTFLETCH

Banned
To be fair I do not think the GTAA would reach out to a FCS program until /if we beat Duke.

If Western Carolina travels better than Fresno State.... maybe Western Carolina makes better sense... But that traveling to San Antonio is ok also if we get a 12th game... An away game is OK!!

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What about talking to the NCAA to see if they’ll let us play a 5-7 team that won’t get to go bowling. Perhaps, FSU :)

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
First...we are talking about Dec 2nd, same day as the ACC title game, so students in school wouldn't be an issue, unless it is an issue when we have played in the ACC title game before... If this is true, we need to drop our Football program immediately.

Second, if the football players do not want to play a 12th game then this might be another reason to drop our program.

Third when we play in the ACC title game we never hear about how the extra game week hurts recruiting, because it doesn't.

Basically what has happened is that GTAA has failed the team and the fans once again. They should have secured a 12th game and they have not.

Do you want to know why GT fans have quit coming and supporting the team? (Why we only have about 30K in season ticket holders, instead of more)

Because it seems like the GTAA is not committed to the program. This is yet again another let down. I can name some of them... but I won't, what I will say if the GTAA was serious about the 12th game, we would have one lined up. Everything else is smoke and mirrors... It is what it is.

You do realize we legitimately couldn’t even begin trying to schedule a Dec 2 game until we were officially eliminated from the championship picture, right? That probably hurt our efforts to make it happen more than anything else, along with our offense (VERY few teams would be willing to play us on short notice like that...everyone at least wants to start their GT/option prep in spring). I wouldn’t call this a “failure” by the GTAA in any way.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
UTSA in San Antone! Great road trip for y'all, just 2 hours up the Interstate for me. Buncha great restaurants and watering holes along the Riverwalk.

I would kill for this to happen. I lived in San Antonio for a couple of years and it was the best. I would buy several tickets and hit the road...

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
Not that it would matter if we were in the ACCCG, but with finals at Tech being the week after December 2, I have to wonder how the players feel about the prospect of playing a meaningless game that weekend. I wasn't an athlete when I was at Tech, but I don't ever recall the week before finals being a very fun time.

Last edited: