Current BBack Situation: What say you???

MountPGT1990

Banned
My first thoughts exactly when I heard the news.

Yep, why not give him a shot?

I see nothing to lose with trying BJS at BBack if he's currently only slated to contribute as a special teamer. That's a whole other issue I don't want to get started on, but pisses me off we have to waste years of eligibility on guys that just play special teams especially with a guy as talented as BJS

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yep, why not give him a shot?

I see nothing to lose with trying BJS at BBack if he's currently only slated to contribute as a special teamer. That's a whole other issue I don't want to get started on, but pisses me off we have to waste years of eligibility on guys that just play special teams especially with a guy as talented as BJS

Someone as talented as BJS is not going to stay a 5th year. You're not wasting a year of eligibility if you know it would never be used.

Also, he will make contributions on special teams, and it's not certain that he won't at LB this year as well. Our depth behind the starters isn't great there.

Finally, he wants to play LB.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Our very deep and talented Bback position just went from loaded to potentially a liability.
I'm thinking with Mills gone and Benson banged up we went from a Solid A for the position to a C. One of our strengths has just turned into a liability .....

Does anyone know when Benson is returning?
Seems like he has missed most of fall camp and when someone asked CPJ how he was doing yesterday, he said he hasn't been practicing.

Howard has been getting some good remarks but with Benson out, that means we are heading into Tenn with a true frosh and Quaide leading the way....Ouch

Not a good position to be in, CPJ just recently said QW runs way too high and I was thinking he was 4th on depth chart and probably wouldn't see the field this year unless it was mop up time. Now he may get significant time against Tenn.....Dang it DM, I am so pissed right now

Without Mills, don't be surprised to see MJ at QB. We will need a threat up the middle and NO is the strongest of our QB's.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
BJS may have been a good BB. Just like Jamal Golden may have been a good QB. But both had NFL potential on the D side. The talent infusion we need at LB is far greater than the need for a new BB. Losing DM hurts more than some want to admit, not as much as others want to admit. GT's season success rides more on the D over the next few years IMO.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
When you say we have guys that can play Bback let me summarize where we stand:

We have not one but two True Frosh that prob know about 25% of the playbook and have been on campus playing in a GT uniform for about two weeks. One of these has spent half his time as an Aback so he really only has about a week in our system as an actual Bback

KB who has been injured his entire career and seems to be as fragile as my grandma's China. He is currently banged up and no one knows if he will be ready for Labor Day and if he does return it prob won't be for long due to fragility.

We have QW who was burried on the depth chart because he runs too high and a True Frosh blew by him in less than two weeks of being on campus. I'm sorry but QW would not have sniffed the field this year with DM, KB,and JH ahead of him and now he looks to be a major contributor.

Everyone keeps saying next man up but I'm sorry I don't think replacing DM with this group is going to be as easy as a lot on here are trying to make it out to be. Losing DM is is huge blow to this season and will cost us a couple if not several wins this year.

If BJS is buried on depth chart at LB this year and only a special teamer then I say throw him in the mix with other two true frosh and see if we have our next Tony Hollings. BJS was supposed to be the biggest get of our freshman class this year, don't just waste a year of his eligibility on special teams. If he isn't successful then no harm no foul move him back to LB next year when he might actually make the two deep.

Two main problems with your logic. First is the assumption he can step in as true frosh and be an impact player or contribute more than the guys we already have there. Guys who have been getting praise from CPJ btw. Second is an assumption he would desire to switch. Which I have seen zero proof of. Recruiting info was actually quite contrary to this.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Edit: Without Mills, don't be surprised to see MJ at QB. We will need a threat up the middle and MJ is the strongest of our QB's.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
When you say we have guys that can play Bback let me summarize where we stand:

We have not one but two True Frosh that prob know about 25% of the playbook and have been on campus playing in a GT uniform for about two weeks. One of these has spent half his time as an Aback so he really only has about a week in our system as an actual Bback

KB who has been injured his entire career and seems to be as fragile as my grandma's China. He is currently banged up and no one knows if he will be ready for Labor Day and if he does return it prob won't be for long due to fragility.

We have QW who was burried on the depth chart because he runs too high and a True Frosh blew by him in less than two weeks of being on campus. I'm sorry but QW would not have sniffed the field this year with DM, KB,and JH ahead of him and now he looks to be a major contributor.

Everyone keeps saying next man up but I'm sorry I don't think replacing DM with this group is going to be as easy as a lot on here are trying to make it out to be. Losing DM is is huge blow to this season and will cost us a couple if not several wins this year.

If BJS is buried on depth chart at LB this year and only a special teamer then I say throw him in the mix with other two true frosh and see if we have our next Tony Hollings. BJS was supposed to be the biggest get of our freshman class this year, don't just waste a year of his eligibility on special teams. If he isn't successful then no harm no foul move him back to LB next year when he might actually make the two deep.
I'm not too worried about the lack of experience from the true freshman or any of the BBacks in general. Our leading rushers at B-Back the last couple years have been Synjyn in 2014 (switched to BBack that year), Marcus Marshall in 2015 (true freshman), and Dedrick Mills in 2016 (true freshman). They all did pretty well. As CPJ is saying, whoever is in that position is going to have a big year. He's seen a lot of BBacks in his time and they've pretty much all worked out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's the reality of our BB situation:

None of the guys have taken an meaningful snaps at BB for us. Maybe QFro took a few snaps at BB in a mop up type situation? I forget.

Kirvonte hasn't played a real game in 2 years due to injury. He showed some nice things during the spring. He's got breakaway speed, but he's a smaller back like Marcus Marshall, so will he be consistent in giving us positive yardage on each carry like Mills did? Or Kirvonte be more in the mold of Marcus....minimal yardage for 2-3 carries, but he'll pop off a 7-20 yard run all of a sudden?

Howard, probably the most promising BB in the group is a true freshmen. From reports, all the tools are there, but given the BB position and our first opponent, I'd rather see him getting eased in.

We've got capable guys at BB, but there are definitely questions at BB.

MountPGT1990

Banned
I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this but if you truly remove your gold colored glasses for just a couple minutes then I think you might not think next man up is going to do the job quite as well as DM.

When you say next man up will do a fine job, please elaborate because that way I see it we have KB who has been injured his entire career and is currently out with no time table for a return. If he does return how long does he make it before injury bug gets him again? Prob not going to be a major contributor or someone we can count on due to fragility

Next we have a true frosh who coach has said is tailor made for our offense which is encouraging but at the same time CPJ said he doesn't know where to go on a majority of plays. He has been playing football in a GT uniform for less than two weeks, how much of the offense do we really think he can digest in two weeks?

Our next guy has been riding the pine because coach says his running style is not a fit for being a bback because he runs with his pads too high and I believe his only carry in a game resulted in a fumble. He would not have sniffed the field this year if not for injuries and a failed drug test. A guy who has been in our system for less than two weeks was able to blow by him on the depth chart

Finally, we have another true frosh who also been playing in our system for less than two weeks and he has spent more time at Aback thank BBack.

So when you say next man up, I'm looking at our list of next men up and don't have the same confidence as you for some reason

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We're not "fine" at BB. We just lost one of the best RBs probably in the nation. That's not something that's easily dismissed.

That said, dude, stop with the doom and gloom. It hurts, but what do you want the team to do? Call off the season because someone made a mistake and will no longer play for GT?

Put it this way: I have more faith in CPJ that he recruited and developed the players to make his offense work than messageboarders.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this but if you truly remove your gold colored glasses for just a couple minutes then I think you might not think next man up is going to do the job quite as well as DM.

When you say next man up will do a fine job, please elaborate because that way I see it we have KB who has been injured his entire career and is currently out with no time table for a return. If he does return how long does he make it before injury bug gets him again? Prob not going to be a major contributor or someone we can count on due to fragility

Next we have a true frosh who coach has said is tailor made for our offense which is encouraging but at the same time CPJ said he doesn't know where to go on a majority of plays. He has been playing football in a GT uniform for less than two weeks, how much of the offense do we really think he can digest in two weeks?

Our next guy has been riding the pine because coach says his running style is not a fit for being a bback because he runs with his pads too high and I believe his only carry in a game resulted in a fumble. He would not have sniffed the field this year if not for injuries and a failed drug test. A guy who has been in our system for less than two weeks was able to blow by him on the depth chart

Finally, we have another true frosh who also been playing in our system for less than two weeks and he has spent more time at Aback thank BBack.

So when you say next man up, I'm looking at our list of next men up and don't have the same confidence as you for some reason
I can't wait for this to be the best group of b backs we've had . Just so I can see you eat crow.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Why don't you just admit that your real problem is with CPJ. ( Which IMO is a great coach ) You do understand we still have other players who give +100% to win . If the OL does their job we will be fine.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer

Do you feel better posting a negative thread like this, right after the Team got a kick in the groin? Let me remind you that Mills missed three games LAST Season, and the Team went 3-0 with the "next-man-up". In fact, we've had to do this several times in the past (when Laskey went down as an example) and our "next-man-up" did fine, thank you very much.

I shouldn't have to defend our Team right before the start of the Season like this. There's no place for negativity. If you aren't ready to support the Team, take it offline and stop dragging the rest of us down with you.