CPJ needs to be fired

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There's zero percent chance Johnson would be fired this year.
If they wait one year the buyout terms change and he is owed just $2MM.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There's zero percent chance Johnson would be fired this year.
If they wait one year the buyout terms change and he is owed just $2MM.
This may be somewhere else so I apologize but is the deal if he were fired now, he is owed $6MM and after next year $2MM? And that is because the buyout goes from $2MM to $1MM per year and his contract goes through 2020?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
And I haven't seen quite that. I have seen discussions about Stanford that say:

Stanford has some very good degrees, but they also have some degrees that even their own student body considers almost laughable.
GT has no such almost laughable degrees. Even the business school is in the top 30 in the country.

That discussion does not say that a GT degree is the only degree in the world. It does say that every degree from GT is a respected degree.

I was working in Los Angeles, while on a university campus I came to find out by happenstance that the starting quarter back took one course of study during his semester concurrent with football season, "ballroom dancing" how can a STEM based institute compete with that curriculum?...more importantly I am glad we don't have that mind set and wonder how an academic institution, can accept and defend this as a policy...

Nothing will matter if Sewak is still here. Offensive line play is awful. JT covered up a lot. Shaq covered up before him.
For the few talking about CPJ needing to be fired, are you paying attention to the other coaching vacancies right now? We would be one of, if not the lowest, on the pecking order of open P5 jobs.
I would take several of those fired coaches here. Kevin Sumlin for starters.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I'm embarrassed

So am I but our problems are not fixed by firing the coach. Until something is done to level the playing field regarding recruiting changing coaches will not matter. Recruiting and the inherent problems caused by the Hill are the major reason for coaches as varied as Dodd to Ross to O'Leary basically throwing up their hands and saying it is more trouble than it is worth. If you want a quality football program that is a consistent winner in today's ACC you need buy in from everyone: alumni, sidewalk fans, administrators, coaches, players, EVERYONE. Right now, Coach Johnson gets little, if any, support from the Tech administration that is indifferent at best and sometimes seemingly openly hostile to football. We are approaching a crossroads in Georgia Tech athletics.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Anyone who thinks changing HC fixes what ails us ... well, they're just not paying attention.

It is more of a "Georgia Tech problem" than it is a coaching problem. Change coaches all you want but until that is addressed you will have more of the same. IMHO

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Duke is a brand. Georgia Tech is not. No matter how hard you want it to be either. Duke has put a lot more money into their athletic program that GT is willing too. They’ve got good players and good coaches too. Not everybody wants to be an engineer (and I’m an engineer saying this). Duke has a lot to offer their recruits.
You are new to the board I see. Soon you will know saying this is heresy. In their minds everybody wants to be some sort of engineer and if not should be forced to do it.