CPJ needs to be fired

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don’t want a change at HC. My understanding from various sources is that we will make a change at DC. If that is true I will throw a name out.

Blake Baker - he followed Diaz of Miami around and I think he is the DC at La Tech. He runs a 4/2/5 and a 2/4/5 defense. I like the idea of a 2/4/5 lineup against a lot of the spread teams. We have a hard time landing the typical dominant inside guys to run a 3-4 or 4-3. The 2-4-5 stands the ends up and relies on speed and aggression to generate pressure. I think we have a better shot at making that successful than running the same nickel scheme everyone else runs.

I also like the idea of a 4-4 defense like Bud Foster runs, but I don’t think we have a shot at getting him.

I would also like to see 4 adds to the recruiting staff to help find good talent.

The offenses we face dictate alignments for the most part. Doesn't matter what alignment we use. We neee players that can control the line of scrimmage.

We have gone from being unable at all in that regard to able to hold our own....50/50ish. The more elite teams are still exposing us but we have closed the gap a bit and have recruited much better the past 3 years.

Even with some unexpected attrition I think dividends are starting to pay off and will continue to. The head scratcher that really needs to be solved are the complete breakdowns we experience in some games annually. UNC and Duke year before last. UT, Duke, uga this year. We have to be able to stop the bleeding in those type games and prevent the total meltdowns that ensue.

I don't know what the answer to that problem is but I hope someone does.

(Yeah, yeah, Roof haters....I know your takes...I just don't think you have any personal knowledge or expertise in the matter to give you much credence. I will concede he and CPJ own the problem and it's their job to fix it. There is certainly reason to be frustrated with overall results; I concede that also)

Animal02

Banned
The offenses we face dictate alignments for the most part. Doesn't matter what alignment we use. We neee players that can control the line of scrimmage.

We have gone from being unable at all in that regard to able to hold our own....50/50ish. The more elite teams are still exposing us but we have closed the gap a bit and have recruited much better the past 3 years.

Even with some unexpected attrition I think dividends are starting to pay off and will continue to. The head scratcher that really needs to be solved are the complete breakdowns we experience in some games annually. UNC and Duke year before last. UT, Duke, uga this year. We have to be able to stop the bleeding in those type games and prevent the total meltdowns that ensue.

(Yeah, yeah, Roof haters....I know your takes...I just don't think you have any personal knowledge or expertise in the matter to give you much credence. I will concede he and CPJ own the problem and it's their job to fix it. There is certainly reason to be frustrated with overall results; I concede that also)

I took a benchmark of the D needing to hold to 24 and the O needing to score 28 to win the game.
Over the last 6 years, the O lost 8 games, the D 12 and as a team 15. (There were a couple of 2OT games in there that could skew it a bit)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I took a benchmark of the D needing to hold to 24 and the O needing to score 28 to win the game.
Over the last 6 years, the O lost 8 games, the D 12 and as a team 15. (There were a couple of 2OT games in there that could skew it a bit)
as a team means both O and D failed to make your target?

LamboJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with the OP we need to dump CPJ! I'm so tired of watching his "magic" offense, and he's been here long enough, let's get back to more exciting style of play! Just think if we could hire a guy like Dabo and how he has turned Clemson into a top contender and who could really give our team some juice and get the motor going full throttle!

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

Alignments are dictated in part by the offense, but not 100%. You can play zone/man/combo in just about any scheme vs just about any of the offenses we see in our schedule. What we have to figure out is a scheme that allows us to cover with 5 and get home with our other 6.

Personally I want us to figure out how to use our speed (we don’t have size) to generate pressure. We don’t have the size/speed to generate coverage sacks, so we are going to need to overload and stunt to get home. That may mean playing man with no help over the top.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Alignments are dictated in part by the offense, but not 100%. You can play zone/man/combo in just about any scheme vs just about any of the offenses we see in our schedule. What we have to figure out is a scheme that allows us to cover with 5 and get home with our other 6.

Personally I want us to figure out how to use our speed (we don’t have size) to generate pressure. We don’t have the size/speed to generate coverage sacks, so we are going to need to overload and stunt to get home. That may mean playing man with no help over the top.

I'm not sure we have as much speed as you think. If anything we have improved most in size up front.

The fan in me wound like to see us be able to move Branch back out to DE next year.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I don't receive the AD's salary, so it's not up to me to know "who." I just hope we don't keep making the same mistake that the athletic board has made with the last 2 hires.

1. Don't hire a coach without prior Power 5 experience. Gailey and Johnson had a combined 0 years when hired--I am including years as an assistant. Gailey had 0 years FBS experience.
2. Don't hire a head coach. We can't afford the head coach we would want. We have to hire an up and coming assistant.
3. Hire a proven recruiter. People complain that we have recruiting disadvantages, then we bring in a staff from Navy that doesn't have experience recruiting at the P5 level. Recruiting at Navy and Ga So. are different deals than ACC/SEC recruiting.
4. Hire someone with good administrative skills. That was George O'Leary's strength, and not X's and O's.
5. Hire a great work ethic. That's what Ross, O'Leary and Friedgen had in common. They weren't great golfers. The first day that Bobby Ross took off after the beginning of 1988 fall practice was July 4 weekend in 1989.

Remember that Dabo was a position coach when Clemson promoted him to HC. He was selling real estate in Alabama before that. He isn't an X's and O's genius, but he is a good recruiter and a good administrator.

So, no, I don't know "who" our coach should be, because I don't know every P5 assistant out there who is ready to move up. But our AD should.

I agree with everything you aid. What I fin interesting is that folks were Pissed that Bobby Ross was replacing Bill Curry a local legend. Even the players a ton of players hated Coach Ross that first year, it took a few bumps before the program took off. Also worth noting is that George O'leary who worked for Bobby came back and had GT in a good spot before Chan Gailey came in and dorked everything up.

Also hiring a P-5 Assistant should allow for that coach to create more donors! It has become much more about X's and O's at the P-5 level and we will need a Coach who understands that and is not afraid of the challenge!

northgajacket

Banned
I agree with everything you aid. What I fin interesting is that folks were Pissed that Bobby Ross was replacing Bill Curry a local legend. Even the players a ton of players hated Coach Ross that first year, it took a few bumps before the program took off. Also worth noting is that George O'leary who worked for Bobby came back and had GT in a good spot before Chan Gailey came in and dorked everything up.

Also hiring a P-5 Assistant should allow for that coach to create more donors! It has become much more about X's and O's at the P-5 level and we will need a Coach who understands that and is not afraid of the challenge!

A bunch of players basically tried to sabotage Ross in his first years at Tech.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the OP we need to dump CPJ! I'm so tired of watching his "magic" offense, and he's been here long enough, let's get back to more exciting style of play! Just think if we could hire a guy like Dabo and how he has turned Clemson into a top contender and who could really give our team some juice and get the motor going full throttle!
For every one Dabo, there's 4 other assistants that are given HC positions and then fired 4 years later. Everybody talks about Dabo but go look at the amount of money his assistants are paid, how large their support staff is and how much other money they've poured into that program since he took over. Dabo isn't doing it all by himself.

Animal02

Banned
So if the O scored 27 and the D gave up 40 and the O was playing from behind the whole game you would put that as a team loss? Honest question.
Yes, but there were few like that. I was just a quick look, and you can pick different numbers and get different results...just seemed reasonable for the O to score at least once a quarter.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
What is more concerning is the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes that Ted Roof was credited for has missed bowl games in 2015 and 2017. I am concerned that maybe our recruiting efforts were over stated!
Yep. I asked in the Fire Roof thread for someone to explain to me, as I’m a bit slow, why Roof is thought of as a great recruiter, but no one has told me yet. Maybe someone on this thread will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yep. I asked in the Fire Roof thread for someone to explain to me, as I’m a bit slow, why Roof is thought of as a great recruiter, but no one has told me yet. Maybe someone on this thread will.

Might want to consider starting to follow the recruiting forum. He has been cited as a big reason we have landed several guys and made progress in talent rich Gwinnett.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Who hired George O'Leary as DC in 1994? Homer Rice. I don't believe Homer was HC. So it does happen. It's happened at GT.

If Radakovich had hired an OC, Gailey might have turned out to be a good HC. Gailey's failure was thinking that he knew how to coach offense at the P5 level. He was actually pretty good otherwise, but the flaw was a fatal one.

I agree that Johnson will be back next year, even though the only positive thing that Bobinski did was reduce the buyout for 2018-2020 to $1 million/year. We need to at least get Hewitt off the payroll before any coaching change is made.

My bad. You are right. The one offs are the norm. Sorry. Lol. 1994. Do you remember that year. Hmmm. I wonder why. Jeez dude. Classic tech person find the one example in 90 years to prove nothing.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Hes not. He is not anything more than a avg to below avg coordinator and avg recruiter. But he has an above avg salary. Tech guys are smart.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Hes not. He is not anything more than a avg to below avg coordinator and avg recruiter. But he has an above avg salary. Tech guys are smart.

That’s what I think, too, but others on here talk of him as a great recruiter. I’ve see zero evidence of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Also hiring a P-5 Assistant should allow for that coach to create more donors! It has become much more about X's and O's at the P-5 level and we will need a Coach who understands that and is not afraid of the challenge![/QUO
Hire "a guy like Dabo"? Swinney won six games his first year as interim coach and expected to be fired. An AD with guts who knew talent instead hired him fulltime, and in the nine years since they have made incredible resources available to him, he has created and hired one of the most highly paid coaching staffs in the country, a huge support staff, (my goodness, the support staff has support staff) all within NCAA rules, cultivated a culture that is remarkable in the community. Others are right. He didn't do this by himself. They all made commitments, and he delivered. It is fair to assume that if a) one found another Dabo then b) the university better be prepared to cough up all that support he demanded and got at Clemson. Is Georgia Tech ready? From what I read, no. Besides which there is that athletics-unfriendly curriculum.