CPJ needs to be fired

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me watching these games that Marshall missed a TON of reads this season, and not just at the beginning either. I'm not even sure how much of our offense he was able to execute, how much true triple-option we were even able to run this year? Maybe some of the Triple-O gurus can chime in...

Animal02

Banned
Oh, great googley-moogley.

The Pitt game was 28-17 until we scored a TD to make it 35-17 ... WITH 6 MINUTES LEFT. You're telling me in a 28-17 game in the 4th quarter you want to put in a backup with only a couple snaps to get some experience?

Lucas got snaps against UNC.

And Wake Forest was 31-24 until Taquon's run ... WITH 1:57 LEFT IN THE GAME. You're telling me in a 31-24 game in the 4th quarter you want to put in a backup with only a couple snaps to get some experience?

Putting in a backup in those situations is not a good idea.

I'm not against getting backups some experience, but other than North Carolina, what other game would you put him in and possibly jeopardize the game? Lucas fumbled his only snap against UGA. It'd be a disaster if you stuck him in against Wake Forest when it's 31-24 and he fumbles the snap and WF ties it at 31.
Arm chair coaches always know better than CPJ. :rolleyes:

Animal02

Banned
It seems to me watching these games that Marshall missed a TON of reads this season, and not just at the beginning either. I'm not even sure how much of our offense he was able to execute, how much true triple-option we were even able to run this year? Maybe some of the Triple-O gurus can chime in...
Yes, it looked like he missed reads, as did every other rookie QB. The coaches still are in the best position to evaluate and determine who best to play.

J_Trouche

Georgia Tech Fan
Agreed. and that doesn't make you an "arm chair coach" either by simply wondering why Clinton Lynch got the ball 2 times a game and only off a rocket toss or a misdirection. Lord forbid you question a coaching decision after the team went 5-6

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

I wonder how much of this is an issue because we finished 5-6?

Warning: I'm going ramble.

In 2009 against Clemson in the ACCCG, a highly-experienced Joshua Nesbitt missed several reads, to the point where after he missed yet another read on the triple Johnson glowered at Nesbitt and made the "PULL" motion with his hands at Joshua (it happens in the 4th quarter and was caught by the ESPN cameras). Yet we won and nobody groused about how much of the offense Joshua could run.

In 2015 people on this board were up in arms about how selfish Justin Thomas was and how he was trying to do too much. Then 2016 happened and nobody really complained about his "selfishness".

Let me give you an analogy of what I think happened in the Tennessee game. Let's say you're a basketball player. You're 16-20 shooting with 40 points. You've gone 8-8 from 3-point range. Your team is down 2 with 5 seconds left and you're coming out of a timeout. The coach draws up a play for you and tells you, "Catch the ball, if you're open, shoot, if not, pass it to #20, he'll be open in the corner." You catch the ball off the inbounds pass and dribble to your right. Your defender is sagging off of you and you're 3' behind NBA 3-point range. You jack the shot up.

And I think *that* one play has compounded the problem: both on Taquon's side and on ours.

I don't know that I would say that Taquon has missed "TONS" of reads. That makes it sound like 75% of the time he's failing which is definitely not the case. I'd have to review all the games (I wasn't able to catch them all) but in the ones I did catch Taquon did "OK" (PJ-speak) on the first phase of the triple, other than that dadgum Bud Foster C-Stunt/Mesh Charge switchup which, surprise, every GT QB has struggled with at times.

As for the pitch phase of our option game, again, I wonder if Tennessee was an eye-opener for both fans and Taquon. Every missed read is magnified when we have to punt, and every missed read is vilified when we lose.

I'd have to check and see if Taquon is missing more reads than Joshua or Tevin or Vad or Justin, but my gut tells me that he really isn't; it just seems that way because we're 5-6.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I saw at least 3 TDs that TM ran in that could have been pitches(and maybe should have). Of course,the Tenn game set the trend.This is like 2012 or so , the QB gets the ball and keeps it.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I saw at least 3 TDs that TM ran in that could have been pitches(and maybe should have). Of course,the Tenn game set the trend.This is like 2012 or so , the QB gets the ball and keeps it.

I don’t claim to be an expert but I would think that there is a direct correlation with the QB’s experience level and their willingness to pitch. I would think that keeping the ball would seem like a safer bet unless the DE and OLB are up in your grill (safer as ball security goes).Seems like JT pitched more later in his career than when he started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’m really not following that logic...he scored a TD but should’ve pitched it???
What he's getting at is the guy is a freak athlete and makes someone miss even though it was the wrong read....in several cases he probably made 2-3 guys miss after not pitching it. For the few times that he should have pitched it and ended up scoring there are a dozen or so more where he should have pitched it and was tackled for a loss. The guy is a freak athlete and needs to have the ball in his hands. At QB he gets to do this every down...at AB he will only get to do it 5 or so times a game, if that, unless we game plan to get him the ball on counters, rocket tosses, etc. So basically the gamble is this...do we play another QB who may not have TQM's game breaking ability to possibly improve reads and get more long, grinding drives (if we even have a QB that can do that)? I don't know know the answer...honestly, what I would prefer is for him to work his *** off over the summer on reads to improve the mesh and pitch and also somehow significantly improve his timing on passes. If he were to do that and retain the explosive ability on his runs we'd be ridiculous on offense. That's just a LOT to ask of a guy who only has one year remaining...almost wish we'd been able to redshirt him a year early on and keep him at QB instead of AB...too late now

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Very good point. It should be noted that if we are facing teams that are running 7 and 8 man fronts with multiple linebackers waiting for our A backs on the outside, the pitch is not going to be there. I would like to be hopeful for the immediate future but I do not see improvement on offense until there is the threat of wide receivers beating one on one coverage AND perimeter blocking is much improved. Until those two things occur, it may not matter who the quarterback is.

Animal02

Banned
thats fair
I will never forget the "fans" booing TW because the wanted Vad. So when I see others posting that TM or any other player should be benched, or Freeman didn't have the proper leadership, etc. it really pisses me off. As I have posted multiple time, I will continue to believe the coaches are putting the best available player on the field.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been on record criticizing TQM's play for quite a few weeks. I don't think he is our answer at QB. The biggest reason I want to see LJ is because CPJ said at the beginning of the year that he felt really good about all the QBs and that he could call a game for any of them.

So we know that through spring and fall practice CPJ felt really good about LJ and TQM among others. We've seen TQM, and frankly I think he leaves a lot to be desired as a QB. Why not give the other guy that CPJ felt really good about in the preseason a chance? Instead LJ had what? 5 snaps all year?

Also, can we change the title of this thread? The thread has woven its way through numerous topics at this point, and I don't like bumping a "Fire CPJ" thread, because I don't think we should fire CPJ.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I will never forget the "fans" booing TW because the wanted Vad. So when I see others posting that TM or any other player should be benched, or Freeman didn't have the proper leadership, etc. it really pisses me off. As I have posted multiple time, I will continue to believe the coaches are putting the best available player on the field.

I have posted before that I remember a press conference TW's last year. Someone asked why VL wasn't playing more and starting. CPJ said basically that VL at the time could only run a small portion of the offense. He put him in and ran that small portion. He wasn't comfortably using him the whole game because if he did the D would pick up on what they were running and stop it. The next year pretty much proved that he was telling the truth. However, people on here keep believing that the coaches are playing favorites instead of trying to win. The people on here continue to believe that they know the players, their abilities, their knowledge, and the chemistry of the team better than the coaches that are with them every day.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I have posted before that I remember a press conference TW's last year. Someone asked why VL wasn't playing more and starting. CPJ said basically that VL at the time could only run a small portion of the offense. He put him in and ran that small portion. He wasn't comfortably using him the whole game because if he did the D would pick up on what they were running and stop it. The next year pretty much proved that he was telling the truth. However, people on here keep believing that the coaches are playing favorites instead of trying to win. The people on here continue to believe that they know the players, their abilities, their knowledge, and the chemistry of the team better than the coaches that are with them every day.
May be true. But if that’s the best our O can look with the players we have then we are in trouble next year.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I've been on record criticizing TQM's play for quite a few weeks. I don't think he is our answer at QB. The biggest reason I want to see LJ is because CPJ said at the beginning of the year that he felt really good about all the QBs and that he could call a game for any of them.

So we know that through spring and fall practice CPJ felt really good about LJ and TQM among others. We've seen TQM, and frankly I think he leaves a lot to be desired as a QB. Why not give the other guy that CPJ felt really good about in the preseason a chance? Instead LJ had what? 5 snaps all year?

Also, can we change the title of this thread? The thread has woven its way through numerous topics at this point, and I don't like bumping a "Fire CPJ" thread, because I don't think we should fire CPJ.

I think TaQuon might be the best athlete on the field but he may be at the wrong position. Of course, if you believe this then where do you put him besides QB? Too small for B-back and not enough touches at A-back. Maybe we should work on the I-formation and have him at tailback with KirVonte at fullback. Kidding, kind of. [emoji106]

I believe the reason TaQuon got the nod for QB this year was because he probably did the best job reading the D. Lucas has an arm and he’s athletic but he didn’t seem comfortable with his reads. Jay looked like he could be really exciting, athletic and a good arm, but he seemed a bit volatile and probably needs more reps. Based on the Spring game, I felt like TaQuon would get the starting job if he continued to progress after the Spring game.

Save CPJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Oh, great googley-moogley.

The Pitt game was 28-17 until we scored a TD to make it 35-17 ... WITH 6 MINUTES LEFT. You're telling me in a 28-17 game in the 4th quarter you want to put in a backup with only a couple snaps to get some experience?

Lucas got snaps against UNC.

And Wake Forest was 31-24 until Taquon's run ... WITH 1:57 LEFT IN THE GAME. You're telling me in a 31-24 game in the 4th quarter you want to put in a backup with only a couple snaps to get some experience?

Putting in a backup in those situations is not a good idea.

I'm not against getting backups some experience, but other than North Carolina, what other game would you put him in and possibly jeopardize the game? Lucas fumbled his only snap against UGA. It'd be a disaster if you stuck him in against Wake Forest when it's 31-24 and he fumbles the snap and WF ties it at 31.

Agree.

It was sad that Lucas fumbled the one snap IN MOP UP TIME (last play of the game)