CPJ needs to be fired

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, MBob was extremely bad for GT athletics all around.
I will never forget calling MBob and asking why he gave Brian Gregory an extension...he said as an act of good faith and that he saw us making the tournament the following year. I asked with what roster were we going to make the tourney...he hemmed and hawed and said they could be having some transfers come in. I said didn't see it happening. I am an alum and fan and I could see what the AD couldn't see?! That's when I figured out that ADs are good at pissing money away.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Did I mention anything about 5 star players ? Have you been down to yellow jacket alley this year ? We are so undersized at almost every position. TM is the size of a D back at 99.9 % of all D1 school. If you don't see that the Offense pushes more talented kids away , than maybe you should take a long hard look into the modern age of 2017 college football. Now , am I saying our players suck ? No absolutely not. Our players are decent and they fight and play their butts off! I don't see Johnson and his offense winning at the highest level. Never going to happen.

I pulled this query on www.sports-reference.com. This query shows the top 20 rushing teams from 2000 to 2017. In my mind, there is little doubt that this type of offense works, and works very well, even though I’m sure some athletes are not interested in coming to Tech because they might see it as a “high school” offense. http://cfbref.com/tiny/eocFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Man, if we had one of them fancy shotgun offenses, we could be getting shutout by Clemson at home. Or shutout by Washington. Or getting smacked by LSU. Or getting smacked by Louisville. Or losing to Purdue. Or getting hammered by Penn State. Or we could be Carolina and go 3-9. But at least we’d be the same as everyone else, so the people without any self confidence would feel better. The style of offense is not the friggin’ problem. You’d think after ten years people would get that. But you’d be wrong!

See, the problem with stupid people is that they’re stupid.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't CPJ change his offense to shotgun and more passing attack when Vad Lee was QB?

For, perhaps, 6 quarters. Then he was able to say (despite not having the guts to work harder at it, or put players in a better position for success), “ok, see I tried what y’all wanted and it does not work. Therefore we will go back to what I wanted to do.” Design and execute something you know your kids can not due simply to make yourself look like the chosen one with only one way to do things.

Self fulfilling prophecy.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Actually both happened. Auburn brought in Lindsey this year and their defense is great this year.

Lindsey might be calling plays but Auburn has not changed their scheme imo. It's been tweaked a bit due to personnel. CPJ tweaks his as well. And it's obvious whether you acknowledge it or not.

And yes Auburn has a great D this year. Imagine how our struggling O (this year) might have looked paired with that D. Probably a good bit better.

What does Auburn's D have that we don't? Future NFL Dlinemen. High picks to boot. If we hired the Auburn DC at the end of this year would he get the same results with our guys?

Maybe Roof isn't the right fit. Maybe a different DC could recruit better, coach and scheme better. I would be surprised if the results weren't similar though, either a little better or a little worse possibly.

The Dline has actually improved in the last 3 years. From pretty bad to somewhere around the median. Next year the DL will be a bit better. Still not likely to be elite but will be improved again I think. Even fairly marginal improvement on the DL can make for a fairly big difference in this game of inches. So I think the D will improve overall again next year whether Roof is the DC or not.

What we most have to improve on, as always, is recruiting. Hopefully the school will fund that endeavor competitively moving forward. Lord knows we probably need to find it twice as much as our competition to overcome our built in obstacles.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Did I mention anything about 5 star players ? Have you been down to yellow jacket alley this year ? We are so undersized at almost every position. TM is the size of a D back at 99.9 % of all D1 school. If you don't see that the Offense pushes more talented kids away , than maybe you should take a long hard look into the modern age of 2017 college football. Now , am I saying our players suck ? No absolutely not. Our players are decent and they fight and play their butts off! I don't see Johnson and his offense winning at the highest level. Never going to happen.

I guess those ACC championship game appearances were figments of my imagination. That Orange Bowl win over a team led by one of the better QBs in the NFL must have been a fantasy also. Yup....never happened...because you are mad today and slept in s Holiday Inn Express last night. Definitively.

75southjacket

Banned
I guess those ACC championship game appearances were figments of my imagination. That Orange Bowl win over a team led by one of the better QBs in the NFL must have been a fantasy also. Yup....never happened...because you are mad today and slept in s Holiday Inn Express last night. Definitively.
Whiskey, you can not let one or two good season control your mind and the eye test. 2014 was a great season and I'm very grateful for that. That was 3 years ago. I'm not upset about today. I expected this but much worse(45-0). We are in year 10 with Johnson and we continue to have major issues. Our passing attack is dead last among power 5 schools.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't talk to high school recruits on a daily basis and never will. But what I can assure you is , most of the talent you need to win at a consistent level is not coming to tech to play football.

LMFAO...I love the way you admit to having no first hand knowledge or experience on an issue...and then make an "assurance" about same. Well done sir.(y)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Whiskey, you can not let one or two good season control your mind and the eye test. 2014 was a great season and I'm very grateful for that. That was 3 years ago. I'm not upset about today. I expected this but much worse(45-0). We are in year 10 with Johnson and we continue to have major issues. Our passing attack is dead last among power 5 schools.

Who's eyes? My eyes aren't as worried as yours appear to be.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Lindsey might be calling plays but Auburn has not changed their scheme imo. It's been tweaked a bit due to personnel. CPJ tweaks his as well. And it's obvious whether you acknowledge it or not.

And yes Auburn has a great D this year. Imagine how our struggling O (this year) might have looked paired with that D. Probably a good bit better.

What does Auburn's D have that we don't? Future NFL Dlinemen. High picks to boot. If we hired the Auburn DC at the end of this year would he get the same results with our guys?

Maybe Roof isn't the right fit. Maybe a different DC could recruit better, coach and scheme better. I would be surprised if the results weren't similar though, either a little better or a little worse possibly.

The Dline has actually improved in the last 3 years. From pretty bad to somewhere around the median. Next year the DL will be a bit better. Still not likely to be elite but will be improved again I think. Even fairly marginal improvement on the DL can make for a fairly big difference in this game of inches. So I think the D will improve overall again next year whether Roof is the DC or not.

What we most have to improve on, as always, is recruiting. Hopefully the school will fund that endeavor competitively moving forward. Lord knows we probably need to find it twice as much as our competition to overcome our built in obstacles.

You said their coach didn't change. I agree with you that the offense is largely the same, but I do think that Lindsey calls a different game than Lashlee (spelling) did.

CPJ does tweak the offense a little, not all that much. He recycles plays from year to year - surely some to break tendencies and surely some based on personnel. For example, the a back counter that we popped on VT was a redux of the same play from a few years back when he ran it with Orwin Smith all the time. BTW I largely advocate some tweaks not as much for effectiveness in most games, but rather to maybe have a shot at execution when we can't run our base or to help attract a QB who is a legit passer and runner instead of a good runner and a highly suspect passer. Clearly, based off most games, we don't need to change anything.

Agree on Kevin Steele's success at Auburn. Couldn't replicate that at GT (hell he couldn't do it at Clemson).

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
For, perhaps, 6 quarters. Then he was able to say (despite not having the guts to work harder at it, or put players in a better position for success), “ok, see I tried what y’all wanted and it does not work. Therefore we will go back to what I wanted to do.” Design and execute something you know your kids can not due simply to make yourself look like the chosen one with only one way to do things.

Self fulfilling prophecy.

I'm pretty sure it was more than 6 quarters, but ok. I have a feeling you're in the fire Paul Johnson camp.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Passing game sucked this year and needs some fixes. That I agree with wholeheartedly. But if you make a coaching change at Tech after every disappointing season you will be making a change every two years.

Are we doing as good in year 10 as I foresaw 4 years ago? No. Has our staff been unnecessarily and unfairly handcuffed while other programs expand their operations during this time? Absolutely.

You have to look at the big picture. Not make decisions off emotions if you want to succeed.