CPJ needs to be fired

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have a suggestion. Let's de-fund the ME, CE and what used to be called EE departments. We can use that money to hire Saban. With the loss today, Bama will be looking to dump him.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't CPJ change his offense to shotgun and more passing attack when Vad Lee was QB?

He did, but he barely even finished the year with it. I am not even advocating a wholesale switch to the gun or anything, just try and be more creative. What's wrong with having a TE package? Or maybe run the offense with 3 or 4 wide at time - not just stick a backs out there, but truly be 3-4 wide from a personnel standpoint. If he were to do that and actually make it a bigger priority to get guys who can throw (and let them do it some), I don't think anyone would be able to run down the offense as stuck in the old days. Hell it's not like you do would have to do that a lot, you could do that stuff as little as 20% of the snaps and the perception begins to change. Instead we will continue to try and spend the entire off-season largely working on reads and the option game from under center only with the heave and hope passing and then when we can't run we're screwed because at that point you can't do anything else.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
It didn't work out very well that year after people were criticizing CPJ the years before for not changing the offense. He went back to the basics and then we had the great 2014 season. I'm just tired of people on here saying CPJ never changes and is so stubborn. We've had great success with this offense.

I agree that we have had some really good years with this offense. I prefaced my comments with the statement that the offense largely gets a bad rap because we have a few bad games and always have mediocre passing. The years like this year are the outlier (for now).

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
He did, but he barely even finished the year with it. I am not even advocating a wholesale switch to the gun or anything, just try and be more creative. What's wrong with having a TE package? Or maybe run the offense with 3 or 4 wide at time - not just stick a backs out there, but truly be 3-4 wide from a personnel standpoint. If he were to do that and actually make it a bigger priority to get guys who can throw (and let them do it some), I don't think anyone would be able to run down the offense as stuck in the old days. Hell it's not like you do would have to do that a lot, you could do that stuff as little as 20% of the snaps and the perception begins to change. Instead we will continue to try and spend the entire off-season largely working on reads and the option game from under center only with the heave and hope passing and then when we can't run we're screwed because at that point you can't do anything else.

I definitely get your point. I think this season though showed us how special Justin Thomas was.

75southjacket

Banned
I agree that we have had some really good years with this offense. I prefaced my comments with the statement that the offense largely gets a bad rap because we have a few bad games and always have mediocre passing. The years like this year are the outlier (for now).
We need a more balanced attack. I think Johnson has done enough for the program in 10 season. He gave us some wins against UGA, VT , and Clemson that I am grateful for. Do I think he is going to take Tech to another NC ? Heck no! Does the school need to back up the football program more ? Hell yea ! Johnson and his offense is killing the recruiting excitement. Some of you might disagree with that but that's your opinion. It's time to clean house and bring in somebody with energy! We need a coach who has a great relationship with the media. Someone who can give guys a great degree AND A CHANCE at the next level.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
We need a more balanced attack. I think Johnson has done enough for the program in 10 season. He gave us some wins against UGA, VT , and Clemson that I am grateful for. Do I think he is going to take Tech to another NC ? Heck no! Does the school need to back up the football program more ? Hell yea ! Johnson and his offense is killing the recruiting excitement. Some of you might disagree with that but that's your opinion. It's time to clean house and bring in somebody with energy! We need a coach who has a great relationship with the media. Someone who can give guys a great degree AND A CHANCE at the next level.
He's not getting fired this off season so it doesn't matter that you think the 3O is holding us back.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck

Are we really missing out on 5 star players because of our offense?