CPJ interview - Nov 11

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
But you based your argument on the average stars from the 2010 class - 4 of the 5 '4 star' recruits were not even on the 2014 team.

So therefore the weight of the 23rd ranked class, based on average stars from 2010 was no longer in the program in 2014 and only attributed to seasons where the team went a combined 28-25 (2010 - 2013).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The ACC Coastal this year is real bad. I mean, it is usually bad, but I consider this year even worse than normal. In 11 years under CPJ, we finished with a sub .500 ACC record only once. 7 of 11 years we won 5 or more ACC games. I think it is very very easy to assume that, with all of our returning offensive talent, we would have picked up 5 ACC wins + Temple, USF, and Citadel. That is 8 right there, with a potential for 9 with a bowl win. Personally, I think there was a better chance of 8 wins with this roster under CPJ than 6. Just my opinion. Outside of UGA and Clemson, there is literally no game on this schedule I would have been scared of.
I don’t care how bad the Coastal is, as we are one of the two basement teams in talent this year. I’m a CPJ backer, but reality tells me we have had 3 losing records and the long bowl streak snapped(plus the streak of ACC seasons of .500% or greater)during his tenure.

The 2017 team with 5 wins and the 2015 squad with only 3 total victories both had more talent than 2019 does. It’s only my opinion, although this in no way is an 8 win team. I was hoping 6 before the season started, however I placed too much faith in the enthusiasm of the new coach. I still think we have a greater upside, although GT needs to have patience for a few more years. This roster will almost need a total turnover. I know it’s not what most of us want to hear.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
As much as I hate CPJ personality and stubbornness and scheme. He was a good Gameday coach. I do get the feeling though that he and Tech mutually felt he had ran his course here. It sucks he did not get the funding he thought he needed but it was encouraging to hear that apparently some are saying the funding is here now.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
The roster had a lot to do with the precise timing of his retirement. He wouldn’t have won 6+ games with this crew.
I really doubt that. Graham, Tobias, Carter, Sanders, Mason, Howard, Cottrell, etc. on offense is definitely not a steep drop off by any means. Plus, the our current secondary and linebackers minus Knight. Dline would still be low, but not much different from recent years. We would have beaten Citadel, and likely Duke and Pitt this year so far with 3 to play at 5-4 at the worst.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
I think one thing that should bind us all together is that bobinski kept cpj from reaching his full potential at GT. Why, because the fan base didn't make it known that football was important.

I'll admit my opinion has changed on this over 20+yrs as an alum. My background is BSME then med school so I'm the classic analytical mindset and at my core think college is about education and not amateur youth sports.

With that being said, I have come to adopt the viewpoint in the past decade that's become known now as "how u do anything is how you do everything". When we operate a athletic endeavor to represent the institution, it should be at the best of our ability. Anything less tarnishes our reputation, fairly or unfairly.

Every time I talk to President Cabrera I say this, and I hope others will too. Sometimes reality is different than what you'd wish it to be and you can adjust or not.

Scubapro

Banned
As much as I hate CPJ personality and stubbornness and scheme. He was a good Gameday coach. I do get the feeling though that he and Tech mutually felt he had ran his course here. It sucks he did not get the funding he thought he needed but it was encouraging to hear that apparently some are saying the funding is here now.
How many staff recruiters do we have? Not asking to spitball I want to know if we have as many as Duke

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
How many staff recruiters do we have? Not asking to spitball I want to know if we have as many as Duke
Not sure on the numbers, but during the cpj years we had less. I'm not sure if collins has been able to add anymore

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Our academics are elite. Our academic reputation and brand are global. We don’t really need help there. I’ve read before something like 35% of GT alumni give back to the school and 8% to sports. I encourage people to give more to the GTAA, and I’d even go so far to say at the expense of your donations to the regular school if that’s what it takes to give more. One side doesn’t really need a lot of help and the other does.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
For the record I didn't dislike CPJ, I thought he was a straight-shooter with a will to win, although I was not a big TO fan, I cheered as hard as anyone because I'm a GT fan.
The bottom line should be ... CPJ was our coach for 10 years, for whatever reason(s), HE chose to leave (retire), we then hired a new coach who needs to be given a chance !!

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I really doubt that. Graham, Tobias, Carter, Sanders, Mason, Howard, Cottrell, etc. on offense is definitely not a steep drop off by any means. Plus, the our current secondary and linebackers minus Knight. Dline would still be low, but not much different from recent years. We would have beaten Citadel, and likely Duke and Pitt this year so far with 3 to play at 5-4 at the worst.

Please tell me how you are chalking Duke up as a win? This is the same team that outscored us 71-34 the last two time a CPJ coached team played them.

Also please tell me how we would’ve beaten Pitt. Who has taken 2 of the last 3 against CPJ coached teams.

I’ll give you Citadel. I’m willing to concede USF too. Temple not as much, but let’s say we win that. We are 3-6 instead of 2-7.

I think far too many on here think that just because our offense would better that we would just automatically win more games. Our defense, while not great, is much better than last year’s and they don’t have the advantage of winning the TOP every game.

It is possible that we would have 5 wins at this point in the season. I would not say it’s probable. Paul knew this. Coupled with all the other bs he had to deal with, he decided to leave. If he thought this was an 8/9 win team, he would still be coaching.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Please tell me how you are chalking Duke up as a win? This is the same team that outscored us 71-34 the last two time a CPJ coached team played them.

Also please tell me how we would’ve beaten Pitt. Who has taken 2 of the last 3 against CPJ coached teams.

I’ll give you Citadel. I’m willing to concede USF too. Temple not as much, but let’s say we win that. We are 3-6 instead of 2-7.

I think far too many on here think that just because our offense would better that we would just automatically win more games. Our defense, while not great, is much better than last year’s and they don’t have the advantage of winning the TOP every game.

It is possible that we would have 5 wins at this point in the season. I would not say it’s probable. Paul knew this. Coupled with all the other bs he had to deal with, he decided to leave. If he thought this was an 8/9 win team, he would still be coaching.

I would bet CPJ wins the Duke game mainly on the basis that the Duke QB from the two games you mentioned is now in the NFL.

Also, the Pitt team we faced this year is not exactly the same Pitt team we faced the last few years either.

martinezjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I would bet CPJ wins the Duke game mainly on the basis that the Duke QB from the two games you mentioned is now in the NFL.

Also, the Pitt team we faced this year is not exactly the same Pitt team we faced the last few years either.

Duke has had our number over the last five years. There is no reason to believe it would have been any different. The last two years we could not move the ball, and JT went crazy to win the game in 2016.

Pitt may be the same team they have been over the last few years.... we may have scored more... but I would put money down they would have as well.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don’t care how bad the Coastal is, as we are one of the two basement teams in talent this year. I’m a CPJ backer, but reality tells me we have had 3 losing records and the long bowl streak snapped(plus the streak of ACC seasons of .500% or greater)during his tenure.

The 2017 team with 5 wins and the 2015 squad with only 3 total victories both had more talent than 2019 does. It’s only my opinion, although this in no way is an 8 win team. I was hoping 6 before the season started, however I placed too much faith in the enthusiasm of the new coach. I still think we have a greater upside, although GT needs to have patience for a few more years. This roster will almost need a total turnover. I know it’s not what most of us want to hear.

This. 6 wins this year would have surpassed the coaching job it took to get 7 with last year's group, IMO. And I think last year was some of his best coaching work. People took his ability to do more with less for granted and he was stretching the upper limits of that ability in recent years. TStan said something to the effect that he admired our ability to punch above our weight but would rather we not have to punch so far above it. Thus the direction we are headed and why it's kind of silly to quibble over what CPJ's record would have been this year.

But it's no wonder he is worn out and I am glad he seems to be enjoying a break.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Duke has had our number over the last five years. There is no reason to believe it would have been any different. The last two years we could not move the ball, and JT went crazy to win the game in 2016.

Pitt may be the same team they have been over the last few years.... we may have scored more... but I would put money down they would have as well.

Well, being that TQM had graduated and we would be running behind TO, who never had a problem moving the offense, I wouldn't chalk it as a loss.

Pitt this year is BAD. We barely lost to a BAD team even with our new offense struggling to make the transition this year.