CPJ interview - Nov 11

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Well, I suppose this thread was bound to go in a certain direction. I will give this a listen later. Been wondering what the ole' Coach has been up to.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple of more detailed notes from last night at Macon Touchdown Club:

1. NCAA investigation that led to vacating ACC Championship was started under claim that a student had his cell phone paid by someone. Student was able to produce records of his mother paying all his cell phone bills. So when that lead dried up, instead of saying "glad we got that cleared up" - the NCAA went on to perform a fishing expedition by interviewing EVERY player one-on-one, where they found the jacket and hat gift. The rest is history....

2. While at Navy, CPJ was contacted by Nebraska the weekend before the Army/Navy game. They asked him to interview for the head coach job on Monday in ATL. He told them out of respect to Navy and its players, he wouldn't be free until after the game. An hour after the call Osborn himself called and said they couldn't wait and were gonna move on. GT called the next day and said they'd wait a week to interview. The rest is history...

3. He confirmed what we all know at this point, payers are getting paid already by the big teams. Said a top notch D-lineman is gonna run $200k! He feels the only way paying players doesn't get out of hand is if every college player gets paid the same amount. Otherwise, recruiting visits will just become discussions about what sponsors each school will be able to line up to pay the player. He thinks theres a good chance of another realignment over paying players. Said big programs will split off and smaller low budget schools would be left out, thus hurting schools like Mercer who schedule paid games against bigger schools to fund their athletics.

4. At the time CPJ retired, Duke had (has?) 6x the recruiting staff of GT. just damn!

5. He had lunch with a prominent SEC coach recently who complained about two other SEC schools who were "cheating". Someone yelled out "hows Saban doing" and he said it wasn't him. I'm thinking it was Gus, cheaters were probably Alabama and UGA I'd guess.

6. Lastly, he said he was contacted by numerous P5 schools for head coaching jobs while at GT but declined. Said it'd take a very special situation to draw him back in and that Susan is happy doing what they're doing now and being able to see his daughter perform out west.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow

5. He had lunch with a prominent SEC coach recently who complained about two other SEC schools who were "cheating". Someone yelled out "hows Saban doing" and he said it wasn't him. I'm thinking it was Gus, cheaters were probably Alabama and UGA I'd guess.

I think Tenn Vols just had that happen with Auburn over defensive line recruit.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Coach said that Gt alums dont donate enough money because they think it gets money from the endowment.

Looking On knight commissioning ncaa finances I see they Donate 21, 000,000 and we donate 11,000,000.
Looking up the Purdue s debt verses Gt. Their debt service is down to 5,000,000 per year. We are still at 12,000,000 per year interest only and owe 200,000,000.
Gt alums need to step up.
Coach Johnson said so.

Here is the thing. I think the Endowment should help GTAA because GT athletics has over the decades benefitted the school as a whole.

Yet, I don’t think I have ever heard anyone on our sports boards thinking the endowment helps the GTAA , but I have definitely heard almost all say that if that were done “they wouldn’t donate anymore” or “we are GT and we don’t do that like all the other trash in college athletics” or things along those lines.

So I am curious now if people think the Alum Assn should help GTAA or are they willing to give more to GTAA directly?

Here is the thing. I think the Endowment should help GTAA because GT athletics has over the decades benefitted the school as a whole.

Yet, I don’t think I have ever heard anyone on our sports boards thinking the endowment helps the GTAA , but I have definitely heard almost all say that if that were done “they wouldn’t donate anymore” or “we are GT and we don’t do that like all the other trash in college athletics” or things along those lines.

So I am curious now if people think the Alum Assn should help GTAA or are they willing to give more to GTAA directly?

Question, where does our ticket donation go? Not the ticket itself but the extra donation.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
3. He confirmed what we all know at this point, payers are getting paid already by the big teams. Said a top notch D-lineman is gonna run $200k!

Apparently we should give it directly to interested DL...

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
He clearly left GT because of all the admin type of things - didn't have anything to do with the roster. Either that or you believe CPJ is the type to lie. Miss how he told it like it is. Love the recruiting talk for those who constantly say he hated recruiting.

He admitted the mistake of not capitalizing off of the early success with a bigger marketing plan to drum up more money. Looks like this is an area that CGC has more acumen. Maybe with his endless promoting he can get the money rolling in.

But the “admin type of things “ were greatly improving weren’t they?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
He entered the transfer portal vs taking a medical scholly to stay at Tech, indicating he was willing to play for another school if given the chance. I'd say the assumption is pretty safe.

Do you think our issues are at RB? Not saying Benson couldn’t help this team now or hypothetical 2019 team with CPJ at the helm, but our issues aren’t at that position. Mason has been the only constant this year on either side of the ball (save Harvin).

Nobody really knows what the record would be with PJ coaching this year. Most likely it would be better, but it’s not provable. We most likely would’ve beat the Citadel, probably USF and Temple. Most likely lose to Miami. I think we still lose to Pitt and UVA. Would we have scored more points? Most likely based on past history? Would the other team as well? Most likely based on past history. So while our offense would have put up more points, we still likely only have 3, maybe 4 wins right now.

I’m in the camp of folks that feel the man is too competitive to walk away from a team that he felt could win 8/9 games. He’s been frustrated with outside forces for a while and dealt with it. If he genuinely thought this team had potential to be above his average team, he would have stuck it out. Especially if he thought Yates was the qb that would allow him to have another great year.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

1. NCAA investigation that led to vacating ACC Championship was started under claim that a student had his cell phone paid by someone. Student was able to produce records of his mother paying all his cell phone bills. So when that lead dried up, instead of saying "glad we got that cleared up" - the NCAA went on to perform a fishing expedition by interviewing EVERY player one-on-one, where they found the jacket and hat gift. The rest is history....

2. While at Navy, CPJ was contacted by Nebraska the weekend before the Army/Navy game. They asked him to interview for the head coach job on Monday in ATL. He told them out of respect to Navy and its players, he wouldn't be free until after the game. An hour after the call Osborn himself called and said they couldn't wait and were gonna move on. GT called the next day and said they'd wait a week to interview. The rest is history...

3. He confirmed what we all know at this point, payers are getting paid already by the big teams. Said a top notch D-lineman is gonna run $200k! He feels the only way paying players doesn't get out of hand is if every college player gets paid the same amount. Otherwise, recruiting visits will just become discussions about what sponsors each school will be able to line up to pay the player. He thinks theres a good chance of another realignment over paying players. Said big programs will split off and smaller low budget schools would be left out, thus hurting schools like Mercer who schedule paid games against bigger schools to fund their athletics.

4. At the time CPJ retired, Duke had (has?) 6x the recruiting staff of GT. just damn!

6. Lastly, he said he was contacted by numerous P5 schools for head coaching jobs while at GT but declined. Said it'd take a very special situation to draw him back in and that Susan is happy doing what they're doing now and being able to see his daughter perform out west.

# 5 & 6. If he is being so forthright about things at GT then I would like him to do the same with all these other names.

Scubapro

Banned

From what I understand the Institute or Roll Call do not help the GTAA. They won’t allow AT to fundraise with them or share donor’s contact info.
There is a ‘law’ that prevents the Institute from contributing more than 10% of the GTAA budget. To which they, the school, doesn’t even contribute the full 10%

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Do you think our issues are at RB? Not saying Benson couldn’t help this team now or hypothetical 2019 team with CPJ at the helm, but our issues aren’t at that position. Mason has been the only constant this year on either side of the ball (save Harvin).

Nobody really knows what the record would be with PJ coaching this year. Most likely it would be better, but it’s not provable. We most likely would’ve beat the Citadel, probably USF and Temple. Most likely lose to Miami. I think we still lose to Pitt and UVA. Would we have scored more points? Most likely based on past history? Would the other team as well? Most likely based on past history. So while our offense would have put up more points, we still likely only have 3, maybe 4 wins right now.

I’m in the camp of folks that feel the man is too competitive to walk away from a team that he felt could win 8/9 games. He’s been frustrated with outside forces for a while and dealt with it. If he genuinely thought this team had potential to be above his average team, he would have stuck it out. Especially if he thought Yates was the qb that would allow him to have another great year.

Not what I was saying. Someone asked to provide an instance of a senior that was processed. I provided one.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No one picked him up. Sorry you don't agree.

I swore I'd sit this one out, but Benson was a RS Sr. We didn't need his scholarship to open up, so I can't see how processing applies in his case. Cottrell and Jarrett were in the same boat, even more so, considering their position no longer exists, and they stayed and we were happy to let them stay. Seeing that he was likely the # 3 RB at best and deciding to try to go elsewhere? Yeah.

Enjoyed the interview with CPJ and didn't disagree with anything he said.