CPJ interview - Nov 11

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This crew was better than his average crew.

ehh.... Im not so sure about that. We gotta remember a lot of the OL walk ons a would’ve been in that rotation as well with Hansen being a midseason return, the Morgan Twins were looked at as backups and of course no Braun. Still no faith in the defense and TO being even more limited passer than TQM

Bottom line it was both. There was going to be a
generous amount of attrition (more than the avg 10 including Graham) and CPJ was tired of putting out fires EVERYDAY from the lowest of low levels. He simple said “No mas.... for now”

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Our travel roster has 6 seniors and 14 walk ons. I’m not sure how that could possibly translate to a “big year.” Yeah - we would’ve beat temple and the citadel. But all of our acc opponents are teams we’ve lost to multiple times in the last 4-5 years.

There is nothing metric wise that says we would beat Temple this yr or last.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
No one picked him up. Sorry you don't agree.

I think, and he can speak for himself, he agrees that nobody picked the young man up.

I would like a list of all the Jrs. and Srs. that were in such an evil manner “processed out” ( not transferred, not gave up the game, not flunked out, not put on medical ship, etc) under the watch of that uncaring AD TStan.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I swore I'd sit this one out, but Benson was a RS Sr. We didn't need his scholarship to open up, so I can't see how processing applies in his case. Cottrell and Jarrett were in the same boat, even more so, considering their position no longer exists, and they stayed and we were happy to let them stay. Seeing that he was likely the # 3 RB at best and deciding to try to go elsewhere? Yeah.

Enjoyed the interview with CPJ and didn't disagree with anything he said.

We absolutely needed the scholarship space.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
He sounded relieved to be honest. You could tell the last few years here wore him down...and I would venture to guess it was the off the field stuff and not the on the field stuff.

He also hints at what some of us have said: Bobinski made it hard on CPJ because he wanted CPJ out. I don't think CPJ said much that GTSwarm hasn't discussed ad nauseum for a while now. GT just needs more money.

On another note, I've seen some talk that Arkansas would be interested in CPJ. If you don't know, Arkansas recently fired Morris.

Now, that would sure shake some things up in the old SEC. I would love for that to happen, but I realize it probably will not.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Wish I shared your optimism. 5 or 6 wins tops, out of respect to his system on offense. Both LOS are not dominant enough to survive injuries, tragedy of Adams. Braun was going to leave as a Grad.-Trf. most likely anyway. I don’t think CPJ’s recruiting the two months after he announced would have been better than CGC. Special Teams he was stuck with, and they are a liability. Defense might be worse off. Pass blocking too!

The ACC Coastal this year is real bad. I mean, it is usually bad, but I consider this year even worse than normal. In 11 years under CPJ, we finished with a sub .500 ACC record only once. 7 of 11 years we won 5 or more ACC games. I think it is very very easy to assume that, with all of our returning offensive talent, we would have picked up 5 ACC wins + Temple, USF, and Citadel. That is 8 right there, with a potential for 9 with a bowl win. Personally, I think there was a better chance of 8 wins with this roster under CPJ than 6. Just my opinion. Outside of UGA and Clemson, there is literally no game on this schedule I would have been scared of.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
A couple of more detailed notes from last night at Macon Touchdown Club:

1. NCAA investigation that led to vacating ACC Championship was started under claim that a student had his cell phone paid by someone. Student was able to produce records of his mother paying all his cell phone bills. So when that lead dried up, instead of saying "glad we got that cleared up" - the NCAA went on to perform a fishing expedition by interviewing EVERY player one-on-one, where they found the jacket and hat gift. The rest is history....

2. While at Navy, CPJ was contacted by Nebraska the weekend before the Army/Navy game. They asked him to interview for the head coach job on Monday in ATL. He told them out of respect to Navy and its players, he wouldn't be free until after the game. An hour after the call Osborn himself called and said they couldn't wait and were gonna move on. GT called the next day and said they'd wait a week to interview. The rest is history...

3. He confirmed what we all know at this point, payers are getting paid already by the big teams. Said a top notch D-lineman is gonna run $200k! He feels the only way paying players doesn't get out of hand is if every college player gets paid the same amount. Otherwise, recruiting visits will just become discussions about what sponsors each school will be able to line up to pay the player. He thinks theres a good chance of another realignment over paying players. Said big programs will split off and smaller low budget schools would be left out, thus hurting schools like Mercer who schedule paid games against bigger schools to fund their athletics.

4. At the time CPJ retired, Duke had (has?) 6x the recruiting staff of GT. just damn!

5. He had lunch with a prominent SEC coach recently who complained about two other SEC schools who were "cheating". Someone yelled out "hows Saban doing" and he said it wasn't him. I'm thinking it was Gus, cheaters were probably Alabama and UGA I'd guess.

6. Lastly, he said he was contacted by numerous P5 schools for head coaching jobs while at GT but declined. Said it'd take a very special situation to draw him back in and that Susan is happy doing what they're doing now and being able to see his daughter perform out west.

On point #5, Saban does not have to "cheat" - guys are lined up (especially on the D side) because he has shown he gives them a great chance to reach the NFL with less chance of injury (he even has letters written by Belichick and others that he uses on the recruiting trail), since they have more depth and can play guys less downs. I say that with the understanding that I dislike Bammer almost as much as I dislike UGAG. Allbarn has always cheated to try to keep up with Bammer. There are many other schools that have to cheat to have a chance in the SEC - Ole Miss is one of them, but it could also by Texas A&M, UGAG, or other. I don't believe it is BAMMER that was being referred to, although I am sure that their alumni do the handshakes there as well as anywhere.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
On point #5, Saban does not have to "cheat" - guys are lined up (especially on the D side) because he has shown he gives them a great chance to reach the NFL with less chance of injury (he even has letters written by Belichick and others that he uses on the recruiting trail), since they have more depth and can play guys less downs. I say that with the understanding that I dislike Bammer almost as much as I dislike UGAG. Allbarn has always cheated to try to keep up with Bammer. There are many other schools that have to cheat to have a chance in the SEC - Ole Miss is one of them, but it could also by Texas A&M, UGAG, or other. I don't believe it is BAMMER that was being referred to, although I am sure that their alumni do the handshakes there as well as anywhere.

I actually agree with this. Oddly, teams like Alabama in football and Kentucky in basketball are not the teams that I think are cheating. They have established a culture of dominance and coaching staffs with a sterling track record of moving kids successfully to the next level high in their drafts. If I was a top level kid, I would want to go play there too.

It is the mediocre teams that all of a sudden start pulling in outsized talent out of nowhere that set off my alarm bells. (*cough* UGA basketball under Crean *cough*)

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The ACC Coastal this year is real bad. I mean, it is usually bad, but I consider this year even worse than normal. In 11 years under CPJ, we finished with a sub .500 ACC record only once. 7 of 11 years we won 5 or more ACC games. I think it is very very easy to assume that, with all of our returning offensive talent, we would have picked up 5 ACC wins + Temple, USF, and Citadel. That is 8 right there, with a potential for 9 with a bowl win. Personally, I think there was a better chance of 8 wins with this roster under CPJ than 6. Just my opinion. Outside of UGA and Clemson, there is literally no game on this schedule I would have been scared of.

This is absolute delusional. Why is Temple & USF labeled as win?

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
Stars can be a good indication but I go by offer list. We were getting 3 stars under CPJ but a lot didn't have other P5 offers or very few.

Still running my business, so don't have the hours necessary to do all 11 years, so I did review the offers according to 247 sports for year 2018. Not sure what your definition of "a lot" is, but for 2018 we had 17-3 star recruits. 4 did not have another P5 offer ( Maye, Harris, Jump, Mckeehan), and two had only 1 other offer (D. Smith, Walton) the other 10 had P5 offers ranging from 3 - 11. Interesting that 3 of the 4 with no additional offers were OL which would totally make sense. Perception unfortunately becomes reality for some. The recruit with the highest number of P5 offers 2018 is the same quarterback a number of people are proclaiming, can't play a lick. I submit that we had plenty of talent for what we were doing.

Deleted member 2897

Well our bad Coastal beat SEC teams and blew out 1-loss Wake Forest. There’s a good chance Everyone will go to a bowl game except us. I don’t think we’re great by any means, but I think most of the teams are playing pretty decent right now.

Still running my business, so don't have the hours necessary to do all 11 years, so I did review the offers according to 247 sports for year 2018. Not sure what your definition of "a lot" is, but for 2018 we had 17-3 star recruits. 4 did not have another P5 offer ( Maye, Harris, Jump, Mckeehan), and two had only 1 other offer (D. Smith, Walton) the other 10 had P5 offers ranging from 3 - 11. Interesting that 3 of the 4 with no additional offers were OL which would totally make sense. Perception unfortunately becomes reality for some. The recruit with the highest number of P5 offers 2018 is the same quarterback a number of people are proclaiming, can't play a lick. I submit that we had plenty of talent for what we were doing.

I focus on the 2010 recruiting class as the saying was CPJ couldn't recruit. By star average, which is a measurement that I would count more than rank since the number of players you are recruiting plays into that, this 2010 team was ranked 23rd. And why the 2010 team.....because they were the nucleus of the 2014 team.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The scheme as run by Cpj was perfect inmn our cross division games against the Atlantic. 2 crummie game wins plus the cross game = 3. Say cpj was at vt and did not play Clemson and uga every year he would have at least averaged 1 more win 4 of 5. Winning 4 of the remaining 7 games and u get 8 wins.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Perfect cpj interview, glad he talks about the high level issues at gt things that Collins is now dealing with. We can't be Clemson or even Duke if we don't fund the program and increase staff

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I focus on the 2010 recruiting class as the saying was CPJ couldn't recruit. By star average, which is a measurement that I would count more than rank since the number of players you are recruiting plays into that, this 2010 team was ranked 23rd. And why the 2010 team.....because they were the nucleus of the 2014 team.

Lol... i swear y’all talk as if people will not research the info you present

Not sure i would call 2010 the core of 2014 https://georgiatech.rivals.com/commitments/Football/2010

Deleted member 2897

Lol... i swear y’all talk as if people will not research the info you present

Not sure i would call 2010 the core of 2014 https://georgiatech.rivals.com/commitments/Football/2010

Right - only 5th year seniors would be from that class. There are some indeed, but its not that many.
Joe, Lasky, Snoddy, Golden, Milton, Waller, Braun, Mason, Chamberlain, Gotsis, Burden, Justin Thomas, DJ White, Andrews, Kallon, Gamble, PJ Davis, Butker, Griffin, Shamire - all later.