CPJ interview - Nov 11

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Yeah, I don’t remotely agree with this. I think we could have had a big year with this roster under CPJ.
Wish I shared your optimism. 5 or 6 wins tops, out of respect to his system on offense. Both LOS are not dominant enough to survive injuries, tragedy of Adams. Braun was going to leave as a Grad.-Trf. most likely anyway. I don’t think CPJ’s recruiting the two months after he announced would have been better than CGC. Special Teams he was stuck with, and they are a liability. Defense might be worse off. Pass blocking too!

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I don’t remotely agree with this. I think we could have had a big year with this roster under CPJ.
Our travel roster has 6 seniors and 14 walk ons. I’m not sure how that could possibly translate to a “big year.” Yeah - we would’ve beat temple and the citadel. But all of our acc opponents are teams we’ve lost to multiple times in the last 4-5 years.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
would the offense be more productive? for sure
would we win more games? probably
but what do you define as a big year?

we would get to hear how we were 50 missed assignments on the OLine each week from being 8-4

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Our travel roster has 6 seniors and 14 walk ons. I’m not sure how that could possibly translate to a “big year.” Yeah - we would’ve beat temple and the citadel. But all of our acc opponents are teams we’ve lost to multiple times in the last 4-5 years.

Maybe because some of those processed players who were juniors and seniors might still be around?

Deleted member 2897

I don’t think either coach was winning 6+ when you have 58 scholarships traveling to a road game.

You can’t compare what we have to what would have been. We can’t say we would have had the same injuries when we would have been running different systems, practicing differently, and so on. We would have known our plays - it would have been in our muscle memory. All we can go off is past history. We never had an impotent offense like we had a lot of this year. I am confident saying we would have beat Citadel and Temple. We were a couple plays from beating Pitt and Virginia. But some of this is an exercise in mind magic. I see a minimum 4 wins right now, possibly 5. Then all we have to beat is a questionable VT or NC State team to get to 6. It is what it is. We wouldn’t have had the recruiting class we have. Ahmarean Brown probably wouldn’t be here and so on, so you have to subtract that back. Perhaps we should have a cage match with CPJ and CGC and see what happens.

Can you imagine if CPJ went to Arkansas. I think he would be quite successful. Saban would be moaning as he was the one that took us out of playing Alabama. And as far as recruiting, Arkansas is not exactly stacked now with players. And as I pointed out in another thread, as example in 2010 his recruiting class was 23rd when you are just looking at average stars.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Which processed players are a “win above replacement?”

Nice. Move the goalposts. Quick answer is all of them considering the scheme change wouldn't have happened. In the old offense, we wouldn't have lost nearly as many players and the players on the roster would fit the scheme. Considering the down year for many of the programs we are playing this year, it's easy to believe that CPJ could have eked out at least 8 wins and quite possibly more.

Unless you are driving a narrative, which isn't uncommon on these boards...

Deleted member 2897

Can you imagine if CPJ went to Arkansas. I think he would be quite successful. Saban would be moaning as he was the one that took us out of playing Alabama. And as far as recruiting, Arkansas is not exactly stacked now with players. And as I pointed out in another thread, as example in 2010 his recruiting class was 23rd when you are just looking at average stars.

That would be the most hilarious thing in the history of the universe. I'd never cheer directly for Arkansas, but I'd cheer for CPJ's success. And I know he would be. He'd be able to run a more Baltimore Ravens type offense with more talented QBs and folks at the helm. And I do admit, and am not sorry to admit, I'd take great entertainment and enjoyment listening to the other SEC coaches whine about having to play Arkansas - the team that was always a guaranteed win they would now have to worry about.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Using avg stars means absolutely nothing.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Arguing about what would have happened had he stayed is a fool's errand. You can't prove anything either way. I believe if CPJ thought he was set up for a 8+ win season he doesn't retire but again that's just an opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing what this staff can bring to the flats. I believe we have the best overall staff since Ross, Oleary, Friedgen staff.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Seems like you're making an assumption there. Maybe he didn't wanna rehab a 2nd knee injury, etc

We really don't know. He didn't transfer anywhere did he? Maybe he was ready to be done playing football.

He entered the transfer portal vs taking a medical scholly to stay at Tech, indicating he was willing to play for another school if given the chance. I'd say the assumption is pretty safe.

Arguing about what would have happened had he stayed is a fool's errand. You can't prove anything either way. I believe if CPJ thought he was set up for a 8+ win season he doesn't retire but again that's just an opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing what this staff can bring to the flats. I believe we have the best overall staff since Ross, Oleary, Friedgen staff.

Ok, that is a huge stretch considering that this staff has very little experience. Based on what we have seen so far.....we got a long way to go.