CPJ interview - Nov 11

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
Here is a link to the podcast.

Middle Georgia's ESPN
https://www.podbean.com/ei/pb-fgruc-c70a3f

Link above had CPJ talking mostly GT stuff for over 10 minutes. No comments about new staff, mainly talking about how GT athletics need more money. Alumni don’t understand that the athletics get zero dollars from the large endowment.

Did anybody on here go to Macon TD club today and listen in person?

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
No. The tone was more of “it is what it is”.

Talks about how he liked DRad, and no so much for Mbob (doesn’t mention his name)

Some on here may not like what he says.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He sounded relieved to be honest. You could tell the last few years here wore him down...and I would venture to guess it was the off the field stuff and not the on the field stuff.

He also hints at what some of us have said: Bobinski made it hard on CPJ because he wanted CPJ out. I don't think CPJ said much that GTSwarm hasn't discussed ad nauseum for a while now. GT just needs more money.

On another note, I've seen some talk that Arkansas would be interested in CPJ. If you don't know, Arkansas recently fired Morris.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed. He definitely sounded relieved. Can you imagine your boss wanting to fire you, and making your life miserable by not giving you resources to do your job, hoping you fail? That's pretty much what happened. Consider he gave Jeff Brohm a ridiculous contract at Purdont - he's willing to fork out money, but the fact that he wanted CPJ out and hamstrung the entire football program speaks volumes about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Good to hear him talk a little bit about what went on while he was here. Nothing many of us already know or have discussed here. I have a feeling we have not seen the last of him on the sidelines. Was surprised at the end when they said CGC wasn’t there in attendance at the touchdown club, first Gt coach in a while to not attend.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. He definitely sounded relieved. Can you imagine your boss wanting to fire you, and making your life miserable by not giving you resources to do your job, hoping you fail? That's pretty much what happened. Consider he gave Jeff Brohm a ridiculous contract at Purdont - he's willing to fork out money, but the fact that he wanted CPJ out and hamstrung the entire football program speaks volumes about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Coach said that Gt alums dont donate enough money because they think it gets money from the endowment.

Looking On knight commissioning ncaa finances I see they Donate 21, 000,000 and we donate 11,000,000.
Looking up the Purdue s debt verses Gt. Their debt service is down to 5,000,000 per year. We are still at 12,000,000 per year interest only and owe 200,000,000.
Gt alums need to step up.
Coach Johnson said so.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
Good to hear him talk a little bit about what went on while he was here. Nothing many of us already know or have discussed here. I have a feeling we have not seen the last of him on the sidelines. Was surprised at the end when they said CGC wasn’t there in attendance at the touchdown club, first Gt coach in a while to not attend.

Brent key came in his place earlier. They said cgc had already something scheduled on the date

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
He clearly left GT because of all the admin type of things - didn't have anything to do with the roster. Either that or you believe CPJ is the type to lie. Miss how he told it like it is. Love the recruiting talk for those who constantly say he hated recruiting.

He admitted the mistake of not capitalizing off of the early success with a bigger marketing plan to drum up more money. Looks like this is an area that CGC has more acumen. Maybe with his endless promoting he can get the money rolling in.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A decade is a LONG time. Think about this. During CPJ's time, he saw:

3 ADs go through GT

2 GT Presidents

He was hired when Bush was president, saw Obama get elected twice, and saw Trump get elected. That's 3 presidents of the US during his time. (Please no one make this political).

Social Media was at its dawn when he was hired, and now practically everything happens through social media.

Brick and Mortar stores dominated retail in 2008, and now online stores like Amazon are quickly shutting down Brick and Mortar stores.

Then you think about how the sport of football changed and how CPJ through sheer force of will (or hard headedness depending on your POV) just kept plugging along.

Years from now, I think it will be almost unanimous how much appreciation CPJ deserves for what he did here. I've said it before, but some of my best GT sports memories happened during his years as our coach. For obvious reasons we can't give CPJ the public appreciation he deserves, but CPJ will get his day at the center of Bobby Dodd and I for one will be there standing and clapping my aZZ off in appreciation.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
On another note, I've seen some talk that Arkansas would be interested in CPJ. If you don't know, Arkansas recently fired Morris.
As much as I would like to see that, I just can't. He would face the same recruiting dilemma he faced here -- outstanding running backs are not going to opt into Johnson's spread, and touch the ball 4-5 times a game, and the onus would be on recruiting a standout fullback. And -- the sticking point that stuck Johnson at Tech, a QB to run his system, run the ball, and throw the ball. Johnson had one of those in 10 years, and in 2014 it was magic. By 2015 his Abacks might as well have been in a train wreck together because they all got hurt. I would pay to see the big, powerful, be-all SEC that refused to play against the offense by choice have to defend it in league play, because with even an average QB, the clock would get chewed up. Imagine Orgeron stroking out at midfield. I think if we see him again it would be at the FCS lvel, building a program that needed a scheme to compete. Plus, Arkansas is now like FSU: it can't take a chance on another failure. It has to go big and score big to compete. (And it is too bad about Morris, a terrific coach who rebuilt SMU with a great offensive scheme that others such as Clemson still use with only minor changes.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A decade is a LONG time. Think about this. During CPJ's time, he saw:

3 ADs go through GT

2 GT Presidents

He was hired when Bush was president, saw Obama get elected twice, and saw Trump get elected. That's 3 presidents of the US during his time. (Please no one make this political).

Social Media was at its dawn when he was hired, and now practically everything happens through social media.

Brick and Mortar stores dominated retail in 2008, and now online stores like Amazon are quickly shutting down Brick and Mortar stores.

Then you think about how the sport of football changed and how CPJ through sheer force of will (or hard headedness depending on your POV) just kept plugging along.

Years from now, I think it will be almost unanimous how much appreciation CPJ deserves for what he did here. I've said it before, but some of my best GT sports memories happened during his years as our coach. For obvious reasons we can't give CPJ the public appreciation he deserves, but CPJ will get his day at the center of Bobby Dodd and I for one will be there standing and clapping my aZZ off in appreciation.
I like this but it is better than a like. One poster wrote that he "just quit", apparently oblivious to a decade of service on the Flats. Good post.