CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hahahahaha most of you agree with Mark Bradley! Not a good sign

Mark Bradley sounds like he talked to some GT folks, and he said this earlier in the article (I'm only posting it here since readers get like 3 free articles every month): Giving Johnson two years atop his remaining three hasn’t gone over well among Yellow Jackets backers – and has inspired glee among Georgia fans.

BTW, that quote goes to what I said earlier in the thread. Messageboards get too insular, and posters tend to get involved in "group think".

I'm in the camp that GT could do better, but GT could also do worse. Looking at the most recent 3 decades, GT has hired 5 coaches. Ross, Lewis, O'Leary, Gailey, and CPJ. Ross took over a bad program, and took us to a National Championship. Lewis as an abject failure who almost tore our program apart, O'Leary fixed Lewis's mess and made GT competitive and on the cusp of being a perrenial top 25 team, Gailey was average....not bad, but not great. CPJ has given us highs, but also lows....more highs than lows, though.

My opinion has always been CPJ is a good coach, but he's not irreplaceable. Recent history has shown GT can more times than not find a good coach, but there's a chance we can also hire a bad coach.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
First of all, I agree with the extension. We're giving the recruiting staff and D coordinator he wants, so let's see what he can do with it.

That said, even the biggest CPJ supporters (I'm probably lumped in this group) have to admit that the three years following an 11-3 Orange Bowl winning season have been pretty sad. It's silly to argue you should improve on those seasons since there is only limited room for improvement, but seasons like that are supposed to help you with branding, recruiting, etc...which should ultimately improve the program, right? Well, we're 9-15 in conference since winning the Orange Bowl. That's the worst three year stretch since 94-96 (or pick any three year period that includes 1994).

So where do I stand?...I feel like we need to have a winning conference record over the next three years with no losing seasons. If we don't do that then I'll be ready for a change...but I also think that if we don't do that CPJ will be ready for a change, as well (i.e. no football, lots of golf)
I think his record underscores the difficulty we have maintaining a high level, especially with a poor defense. Look at our best season, '14, as an example. That year we had arguably our best qb, best O lineman to run behind, best duo at Bback, best depth/unit quality at Aback, second best duo at wr and lowest loss to injury. We also had a ton of lucky breaks that year, too. That is a mix that is near impossible to sustain on a yearly basis.

I think with an upgrade on defense, we won't need to have all the stars align on offense to be a good team.

I'm not talking about Dodd. I'm talking about our current head coach
It doesn't matter who you are talking about. I am challenging your basic use of logic, and frankly, you have none. The problem is that you just don't like Johnson or his offense, and nothing that has ever happened or will happened is going to change you. You are just stubborn and IMO very naive.

I think his record underscores the difficulty we have maintaining a high level, especially with a poor defense. Look at our best season, '14, as an example. That year we had arguably our best qb, best O lineman to run behind, best duo at Bback, best depth/unit quality at Aback, second best duo at wr and lowest loss to injury. We also had a ton of lucky breaks that year, too. That is a mix that is near impossible to sustain on a yearly basis.

I think with an upgrade on defense, we won't need to have all the stars align on offense to be a good team.
Imaging if we had actually had a good defense in 2014. WOW

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
OK. I'll just say it.

Nate Woody is the first DC that I've believed in on paper. I worked to talk myself into belief in Groh and Roof. I think CNW is a legitimate difference maker at DC from day one.

We will win the ACC and make the playoffs within the next 3 years.
the Mic'd Up video of him just made me believe in him more

Bam.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
The part of the recent article that bothered me most might have been the one about Paul liking golf better than recruiting. I'm probably overstepping my boundaries of friendship by being honest about something that private. But, the truth is he hasn't played all that much golf the last several years exactly because recruiting takes up so much time.

Sorry. That one got my goat. Even fairly complimentary articles from M. Bradley always come with some back-handed ones that are hard to swallow.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The part of the recent article that bothered me most might have been the one about Paul liking golf better than recruiting. I'm probably overstepping my boundaries of friendship by being honest about something that private. But, the truth is he hasn't played all that much golf the last several years exactly because recruiting takes up so much time.

Sorry. That one got my goat. Even fairly complimentary articles from M. Bradley always come with some back-handed ones that are hard to swallow.

Personally, I don't mind seeing coaches take some time off to enjoy other pursuits when time allows it. I think it helps them recharge to get away from the game every once in a while. The season, practices, spring camp, recruiting, speaking and media requirements, and everything that it takes to be a top notch coach on this level is a grind. Last thing I want is a coach that gets burned out and is going through the motions. If a coach is football (or whatever sport) 24/7, I think that would wear on his assistants and players...and that's how you get a staff with a lot of turnover.

Not everyone is built like Josh Pastner.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, 2014 was actually kind of miraculous. We won so many games we probably should have lost...but I guess you should get those every once in a while. And I agree that an improved defense will help a ton, but one thing...the last few years wasn't a lack of maintaining high level...it was a lack of maintaining even a mediocre level. That's where my frustrations come from. I've accepted the fact that we aren't going to win the conference every year and we just aren't built for it. But I do expect us to maintain bowl eligibility and put everything together every few years when we have a lot of upperclassmen to make a run at the division. If we win the division then who knows...a one-loss Tech team could easily make the playoff as a conference champ

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah, 2014 was actually kind of miraculous. We won so many games we probably should have lost...but I guess you should get those every once in a while. And I agree that an improved defense will help a ton, but one thing...the last few years wasn't a lack of maintaining high level...it was a lack of maintaining even a mediocre level. That's where my frustrations come from. I've accepted the fact that we aren't going to win the conference every year and we just aren't built for it. But I do expect us to maintain bowl eligibility and put everything together every few years when we have a lot of upperclassmen to make a run at the division. If we win the division then who knows...a one-loss Tech team could easily make the playoff as a conference champ

Actually, 2009 was more miraculous than 2014. A good indicator for how good a team actually is uses their record in one possession games and adjusts the record to reflect an even split in those games. Theoretically, you should be ~.500 in those games. In 2009, we were 5-1 in those games, so we actually had MORE breaks go our way that year. Adjusted, we were a 9-5 team. In 2014, we were 3-3 in one possession games, so our record would be 11-3 regardless. We were just a scary good team in 2014 that missed out on the CFP because we weren't particularly lucky. One or two more bounces oour way wnd we would have been a 1 or 2 loss team that year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Mark Bradley sounds like he talked to some GT folks, and he said this earlier in the article (I'm only posting it here since readers get like 3 free articles every month): Giving Johnson two years atop his remaining three hasn’t gone over well among Yellow Jackets backers – and has inspired glee among Georgia fans.

BTW, that quote goes to what I said earlier in the thread. Messageboards get too insular, and posters tend to get involved in "group think".

I'm in the camp that GT could do better, but GT could also do worse. Looking at the most recent 3 decades, GT has hired 5 coaches. Ross, Lewis, O'Leary, Gailey, and CPJ. Ross took over a bad program, and took us to a National Championship. Lewis as an abject failure who almost tore our program apart, O'Leary fixed Lewis's mess and made GT competitive and on the cusp of being a perrenial top 25 team, Gailey was average....not bad, but not great. CPJ has given us highs, but also lows....more highs than lows, though.

My opinion has always been CPJ is a good coach, but he's not irreplaceable. Recent history has shown GT can more times than not find a good coach, but there's a chance we can also hire a bad coach.
O'Leary took over a mess of a locker room, but there was tremendous talent on those teams. Once O'Leary got everyone on the same page, they started playing much better football. It wasn't a lack of talent causing the 1-10 season. Ross did not take over a bad program. It took him 2 years to get guys who bought into HIS style, but Curry didn't leave the cupboard bare when he left.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Actually, 2009 was more miraculous than 2014. A good indicator for how good a team actually is uses their record in one possession games and adjusts the record to reflect an even split in those games. Theoretically, you should be ~.500 in those games. In 2009, we were 5-1 in those games, so we actually had MORE breaks go our way that year. Adjusted, we were a 9-5 team. In 2014, we were 3-3 in one possession games, so our record would be 11-3 regardless. We were just a scary good team in 2014 that missed out on the CFP because we weren't particularly lucky. One or two more bounces oour way wnd we would have been a 1 or 2 loss team that year.
Careful making the .500 in one possession games argument. I did some analysis on that a while back to show that CPJ hasn’t fared all that well in those type games and got hammered by some :)

I totally agree with the logic btw, but it’s not perfect by any means since not all one possession games are the same. I guess you could easily trade Georgia Southern for North Carolina or Georgia for Florida State though...so 2014 is probably a fair example.

I’m just not sure though. I think that 2009 team had more pure talent that 2014 on both sides of the ball. It was just different...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Careful making the .500 in one possession games argument. I did some analysis on that a while back to show that CPJ hasn’t fared all that well in those type games and got hammered by some :)

I totally agree with the logic btw, but it’s not perfect by any means since not all one possession games are the same. I guess you could easily trade Georgia Southern for North Carolina or Georgia for Florida State though...so 2014 is probably a fair example.

I’m just not sure though. I think that 2009 team had more pure talent that 2014 on both sides of the ball. It was just different...

Actually, his overall record since 2008 is 76-54. His record in one possession games is 19-18, so CPJs current record at GT pretty accurately reflects the teams output. In 2015, we were horrible in those games, but that offsets the near perfect run of them in 2009.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Actually, his overall record since 2008 is 76-54. His record in one possession games is 19-18, so CPJs current record at GT pretty accurately reflects the teams output. In 2015, we were horrible in those games, but that offsets the near perfect run of them in 2009.
Those one-score numbers don't sound right, but I think I used 8 points as a one-score games. The numbers I pulled last year are at the link below. Season totals shown here. CPJ coached teams are just erratic in this regard...either really good at winning close games or not good at it at all, but has come out close to even over 10 years. I guess we've just been paying back 2008 and 2009 since 2010...

2008 (5-2)
2009 (5-1)
2010 (2-4)
2011 (3-2)
2012 (0-3)
2013 (1-3)

2014 (3-3)
2015 (1-6)
2016 (3-1)
2017 (1-3)
Overall (24-28)

https://gtswarm.com/threads/cpj-in-one-score-games.13324/