CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Those one-score numbers don't sound right, but I think I used 8 points as a one-score games. The numbers I pulled last year are at the link below. Season totals shown here. CPJ coached teams are just erratic in this regard...either really good at winning close games or not good at it at all, but has come out close to even over 10 years. I guess we've just been paying back 2008 and 2009 since 2010...

2008 (5-2)
2009 (5-1)
2010 (2-4)
2011 (3-2)
2012 (0-3)
2013 (1-3)

2014 (3-3)
2015 (1-6)
2016 (3-1)
2017 (1-3)
Overall (24-28)

https://gtswarm.com/threads/cpj-in-one-score-games.13324/

You are correct. My spreadsheet didn't account for 2016-2017. Overall of 24-28 is the right number, but that just reemphasizes the point. Had we been .500 in those games, there's a net swing of 2 wins to the overall record, which would correct the current record of 76-54 (.585) to 78-52 (.600). CPJ has been remarkably consistent with some real highs thrown in. I'll take the off years if the high years come with some regularity.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You are correct. My spreadsheet didn't account for 2016-2017. Overall of 24-28 is the right number, but that just reemphasizes the point. Had we been .500 in those games, there's a net swing of 2 wins to the overall record, which would correct the current record of 76-54 (.585) to 78-52 (.600). CPJ has been remarkably consistent with some real highs thrown in. I'll take the off years if the high years come with some regularity.
I will too, but there's really only been two highs...2009 and 2014. I know we played for the division in 2012, but let's not forget that two other teams needed post season bans for that to happen...still did it and that's great, but we need to be honest with ourselves.

I guess I would have been happy enough if we were 6-5 with the win over Tennessee last year and a bowl game win to get to 7-5...but getting boat raced by Duke isn't really OK...especially that Duke team that had performed the way they did up to that point.

Whatever though man...none of this crap matters...let's just win the damn conference this year and silence everyone!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I will too, but there's really only been two highs...2009 and 2014. I know we played for the division in 2012, but let's not forget that two other teams needed post season bans for that to happen...still did it and that's great, but we need to be honest with ourselves.

I guess I would have been happy enough if we were 6-5 with the win over Tennessee last year and a bowl game win to get to 7-5...but getting boat raced by Duke isn't really OK...especially that Duke team that had performed the way they did up to that point.

Whatever though man...none of this crap matters...let's just win the damn conference this year and silence everyone!

I was also happy with 2008, 2011, and 2016 as well. They may not have been as high as 2009 and 2014, but they were solid years.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I was also happy with 2008, 2011, and 2016 as well. They may not have been as high as 2009 and 2014, but they were solid years.
Yeah they were good. Any time we beat Georgia I'll be happy. 2016 bugs me a little bit because we were 4-4 in conference, but 5-0 out of conference. Georgia was a good win, but the others were Vandy, Kentucky, Mercer (oof), and Jacksonville State. That padded the record a bit...

But we were moving in the right direction as the season ended...I had high hopes for 2017...then Dedrick gets dismissed, half our freakin' O-line disappears, and our kickers show no sign of ever having kicked a field goal before...then you end up 5-6...ugh.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Yeah they were good. Any time we beat Georgia I'll be happy. 2016 bugs me a little bit because we were 4-4 in conference, but 5-0 out of conference. Georgia was a good win, but the others were Vandy, Kentucky, Mercer (oof), and Jacksonville State. That padded the record a bit...

But we were moving in the right direction as the season ended...I had high hopes for 2017...then Dedrick gets dismissed, half our freakin' O-line disappears, and our kickers show no sign of ever having kicked a field goal before...then you end up 5-6...ugh.
and we had terrible weather

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but so did the other team. Can't use weather as an excuse...the other stuff only happened to us...not our opponents.
true I wasn't meaning each individual game I was meaning just in general we had worse weather week in and week out than other teams.

Adidas also provides our cleats this year, I have no idea who we got them from last year. Hopefully it means we'll get varieties for all types of weather.
Since from what I heard, we didn't have the right (available) shoes/cleats for the ND game at SB, I think it's more than the supplier (Adidas); the equipment manager / staff needs to get the right equipment out there too.

TechPreacher

Banned
His whole body of work is not 10 years.

So did CPJ coach two years as a volunteer coach?

And just to be clear, does the "first two years don't count" rule apply to all coaches, or is that just for CPJ?

Or, do those two seasons even count at all for GT in the record books?

Because CPJ apparently can't claim those wins, and CCG wasn't on the field when those games were played, who gets the credit? CGPB?

If the next GT coach wins big in his first two seasons, will you credit CPJ with the victories?

Please make some sense of your arbitrary choice of which seasons count and which seasons don't count. Inquiring minds want to know.

TechPreacher

Banned
Because that's not how it works in the real world. It's what have you done for me lately.

Again I ask, why is it four years? Why not three? Or five? If "lately" is the standard, why not one year?

It's obvious that four years is what currently fits the negative narrative. You can't say three years, because then it becomes too obvious that you are cherry picking. Five years adds a nondescript 2013 season to the discussion, which doesn't help nor hurt. So four years just feels comfy at the moment.

Yet, it seems strange that when choosing the last four years, two of them were good and two were bad, but the two bad were worse than the two good could overcome. Some of us look at the good as examples of what can be, but you apparently see the bad and want to get rid of the guy who produced the good. I just hope that one day you find what you're looking for.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Again I ask, why is it four years? Why not three? Or five? If "lately" is the standard, why not one year?

It's obvious that four years is what currently fits the negative narrative. You can't say three years, because then it becomes too obvious that you are cherry picking. Five years adds a nondescript 2013 season to the discussion, which doesn't help nor hurt. So four years just feels comfy at the moment.

Yet, it seems strange that when choosing the last four years, two of them were good and two were bad, but the two bad were worse than the two good could overcome. Some of us look at the good as examples of what can be, but you apparently see the bad and want to get rid of the guy who produced the good. I just hope that one day you find what you're looking for.
Im looking for a consistent winning team. So lets use all of his 10 seasons combined he's only .06% better than Galley. Not very happy with that

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Im looking for a consistent winning team. So lets use all of his 10 seasons combined he's only .06% better than Galley. Not very happy with that

Oh. So you ONLY want a coach that will win 9 or more every single year. No problem. We have a long history of that and those choaches are literally knocking down our door. Now I do feel stupid for settling for mediocrity. My bad.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
To summarize: in order to avoid settling, we need to fire CPJ and hire a new coach, but if that new coach doesn’t win 9 or more games every single year for each of the first four years, we need to fire that coach. Then, if the next coach doesn’t win at least 9 or more games every single year for the first four years, we need to fire that coach. Then...

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
To summarize: in order to avoid settling, we need to fire CPJ and hire a new coach, but if that new coach doesn’t win 9 or more games every single year for each of the first four years, we need to fire that coach. Then, if the next coach doesn’t win at least 9 or more games every single year for the first four years, we need to fire that coach. Then...
Wtf are you talking about. I literally said none of this

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

That's what I'm looking for, too.

The options for "consistent winning team" are
a) consistently dominant like the perennial CFP contenders
b) consistently average (CCG-like 7 win seasons)
c) up and down seasons with extreme highs and occasional lows that average out (CPJ-era)

The reality is that (a) is unlikely to ever occur at GT, so (b) and (c) are our choice for "consistent winning seasons."

So, which do you want? B or C?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
That's what I'm looking for, too.

The options for "consistent winning team" are
a) consistently dominant like the perennial CFP contenders
b) consistently average (CCG-like 7 win seasons)
c) up and down seasons with extreme highs and occasional lows that average out (CPJ-era)

The reality is that (a) is unlikely to ever occur at GT, so (b) and (c) are our choice for "consistent winning seasons."

So, which do you want? B or C?
A. That's what we should strive for even if it's not gonna happen. Just me personally that's how I feel