CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm on my cell so I can't filet this moron appropriately at this time.

You're cherry picking every single negative and saying it's all on the coach, while at the same time cherry picking the positives and saying they are just a product of his environment and he shouldn't get credit for those particular things.

Do you not hear yourself? ffs man get a grip

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
They have little to do with it and not enough for it to be a major point. Its not like Johnson is sitting down and helping the players with calculus. The extent at which head coaches affect academics is overblown and almost always used in support of coaches who aren't living up to expectations in other ways.

So the young men he recruited and the emphasis placed on academics Arent important to academic performance?

The difference Johnson winning coach of the year is a relative award. He won it over coaches who are largely no longer in the conference. That tells us nothing about how good a coach Johnson is against the current coaches in conference. The idea that just because he won a coach of the year means he's a great coach is an absolute claim. The comparison to Gailey isn't to make a claim about which is better (Johnson is better), but instead showing a comparison about how each is performing relative to their current surroundings. And Gailey was performing bad enough compared to those around him that we fired him. Johnson's recent record shows a similar level of performance. Think about it like this, if we lose every game for the next 3 years Johnson how silly will it look to be bringing up coach of the year awards from then? It's the same idea. ACC has improved it's coaching. We haven't. Johnson once was a good enough coach. He isn't anymore. The performance is displaying that.

So to you it appears that wins and losses solely determine if a coach is good or bad. Seems too simplistic to ignore the myriad of factors that coaches cannot control. Guess our complaining about injuries etc are wrong because they really don’t affect the outcomes. I guess it isn’t a factor for you that Tech requirements reduce the talent pool we swim in. Would you declare any good coach to be someone to fire if they have a sub par win/loss for two of three years even when there are mitigating circumstances?

Of course. Why would you blame the head coach when his defense has been terrible for 10 years through 3 different DCs. I take it you look at him firing another DC as a sign that he's trying his best to fix the issue. I'm sure it'll work as well as it did the last two times. How many DCs does it take before people look at the constant through the entire time? Then what about the mediocre recruiting? The bad special teams? The inconsistent blocking? The anemic passing game?

So his “mediocre” recruiting is totally on him and the unique requirements, majors and demands shouldn’

But hey, when missing bowls twice in 3 years is an excellent job then of course I'm sure you have great reasons why each of those things isn't actually Johnson's fault.

My comments are inside your text box and I Gotta board a plane. Your last statement is an oversimplification.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh. So you ONLY want a coach that will win 9 or more every single year. No problem. We have a long history of that and those choaches are literally knocking down our door. Now I do feel stupid for settling for mediocrity. My bad.
To summarize: in order to avoid settling, we need to fire CPJ and hire a new coach, but if that new coach doesn’t win 9 or more games every single year for each of the first four years, we need to fire that coach. Then, if the next coach doesn’t win at least 9 or more games every single year for the first four years, we need to fire that coach. Then...
Yep! that really makes more sense than extending a 3 year contract to 5 years in order to ensure recruits that they willhave the same coach for their playing career. Here's the bottom line PJ fans, ya'll win, T.S. gave you Johnson for 5 more years so lets see what he will do.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Yep! that really makes more sense than extending a 3 year contract to 5 years in order to ensure recruits that they willhave the same coach for their playing career. Here's the bottom line PJ fans, ya'll win, T.S. gave you Johnson for 5 more years so lets see what he will do.
You act as if every college football coach works to the end of their contract at all times. You realize even Frank Beamer left with time still left on his contract right?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
You act as if every college football coach works to the end of their contract at all times. You realize even Frank Beamer left with time still left on his contract right?
Oh, I do realize that, however Paul Johnson is that not kind of coach/man.He'll stay to the bitter end!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I do realize that, however Paul Johnson is that not kind of coach/man.He'll stay to the bitter end!
I'm sure plenty of coaches would stay to the bitter end. Literally means nothing if they're let go. You are acting like CPJ can't be fired because of this extension when in reality the extension didn't come with a deterrent to firing him at all.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sure plenty of coaches would stay to the bitter end. Literally means nothing if they're let go. You are acting like CPJ can't be fired because of this extension when in reality the extension didn't come with a deterrent to firing him at all.
certainly he can be fired, but with a cost to Tech.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here is a stat from 14
10 of 14 opening second half gt drives went for TD. (Who can forget the orange bowl - 1 st play rt down blocks shaq pulls and ab hand off follows for good gain. Second play left side all down blocks ,fake rocket , called hand off to S Days who on 45 to side line then trucked the safety for TD - msu defense was done after that).

Imo That half time stat is all about coaching up players make assignments based on knowledge of the game.

Its still in there. If ol gels we could really surprise.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here is a stat from 14
10 of 14 opening second half gt drives went for TD. (Who can forget the orange bowl - 1 st play rt down blocks shaq pulls and ab hand off follows for good gain. Second play left side all down blocks ,fake rocket , called hand off to S Days who on 45 to side line then trucked the safety for TD - msu defense was done after that).

Imo That half time stat is all about coaching up players make assignments based on knowledge of the game.

Its still in there. If ol gels we could really surprise.

I think GT fans who pay attention know it's not the offense that's the problem. It's the other side of the ball.

If our defense was just average during CPJ's tenure, this team probably has a couple more 10+ win seasons, and possibly another ACC championship. The Tevin Washington years would certainly look much different than how they turned out.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Another post from SportSourceAnalytic yesterday:

Interesting stuff. Particularly “QB has to be involved in the run game.” In my 20+ years as a GT fan the only time we’ve been good without that was Friedgen/Godsey. That’s probably true quite a bit further back than 20 years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting stuff. Particularly “QB has to be involved in the run game.” In my 20+ years as a GT fan the only time we’ve been good without that was Friedgen/Godsey. That’s probably true quite a bit further back than 20 years.

It's my professional (kidding...accurately: extremely amateurish) opinion that schools that can out talent other schools (Alabama, UGA, etc.) can compete with drop back QBs that are immobile. Schools that play at a talent disadvantage 50%+/- of the time (GT, Vandy, Miss St, etc) will do much better with QBs that are mobile, and a threat to create plays on any given play. Mobile QBs even the playing field for less talented teams, and make it a true 11 versus 11 game, whereas straight dropback passers are less likely to take off, and are easier to get to during a rush.

If you look at our best seasons in the last 30 years, the QB has for the most part been a mobile dual threat type guy.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Goose was a threat to run it if you ignored him, but he also suffered 32 sacks in 2 years for a whopping -235 yards if you take way that from his totals. in 2000 he had 43 carries for 123 yards and 2 tds that's not great but most of his carries were short yardage sneaks and stuff