CPJ Coaches show

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
When it comes to his offense CPJ is a perfectionist. His O system is complex in concept, blocking, ball handling, presnap and postsnap reads, play calling, and adjustments. He expects a lot. It requires a lot. Bad things happen such as fumbles, dropped passes, errant passes, blocking breakdowns, penalties, and miss reads. He is expert at seeing these things and it agitates him. It is a blessing and a curse that CPJ is such a perfectionist. His O would not be so good otherwise and his frustration about its failures would not be so bad either. He made too big a deal about a fumble and not a big enough deal about the bad D (with good reason with breaking in a new DC). So be it. It is who he is. Players know when they screw up and expect criticism. Be glad he is passionate about his O.

As a player I got yelled at a lot, sometimes for screwing up and sometimes for just not being a good player. I eventually got to be a little better player but the experience of driving me to do my best made me a better person. I thank my coach every day and could care less what he said about me sometimes screwing up.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I didn't ask him if it would be ok to share this, but I doubt he will mind. If you haven't already read this post on the "Juanyeh Thomas" thread, then please read it now. It speaks volumes for what kind of coach we have in CPJ. In addition to this post, one of the responders posted that CPJ had let a kid on the team go home for a funeral this past week. Another example of pure CLASS !!! Anyway, here is the orignal post I mentioned......
I can ignore the funeral as a given. But this story of an autistic kid and Georgia Tech football is remarkable. Maybe more than, but it's the best word I know for it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Siting behind the tubbas (sic) in se corner I was an eye witness. Now I was pretty close to heat stroke in the Tampa heat .

It looked like qua caught ball and was trying to get it tucked and prepare for a hit. It was a well defensed play (unlike gt defense the defenders were right on him)

Perhaps coach could have said it differently --
qua had a great game, lots of yards running, lots of yards receiving, and we all know he would trade any if his plays to get that fumble back. The UFC guys made a great play but we have got to protect the ball. Qua is a solid player and I trust him with the fans on the line.

At least we aren't blaming fhe Adidas uniforms being slippery - bring back russell. Oh usf has addias
Now, does anyone actually believe that Johnson actually meant that a player didn't care if he fumbled? That he didn't "care enough not to fumble"? I mean, really. It's like a guy accused of burning down an outhouse and his inquisitor claims he used a flamethrower, railroad flare and napalm, and the guy responds, "Yeah, right." And the accuser says: "See! He confessed!" Yeah, right. I think it's called irony, because I think if Johnson actually meant a player didn't care if he fumbled, he would have one more scholarship to offer immediately. Now, guys who go to the Georgia Institute of Technology are supposed to be smart enough to see this. Should we be worried?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
every single unit has HC review each game week. They go through personnel, grade outs, recommendations. My point is, is paul asleep or doesn't have these reviews? Because I swear to god, if I knew I was going against a fast return man, with 6-7 freshman or whatever it is, on my starting sp teams unit, of course I would say NFW. I am sorry. Every HC does this, and I am fairly certain paul does. So this is what makes me more infuriated by his comments.

he comments it like "its too many thats got to change" well, the kids didn't all of a sudden become young AFTER the game. They were young BEFORE the game. Its ridiculous.

that is simply not good coaching. Period. its not all about xs and os folks.
@33jacket you might be 100% right on this, but I've got a feeling that Paul was aware of the situation but not completely comfortable with it. In other words, he's trying to put the 11 best athletes on the field for kickoffs, and he's aware that includes a lot of freshmen. Also, if Kaleb didn't show up until 3am, maybe they pulled him from the kickoff team and replaced with a true freshman. I guess I could go back and watch the film and see if 40 was out there. Last point, these same guys probably played against Alcorn St and we didn't have any breakdowns. I'm not trying to make excuses, just offering an alternative explanation fwiw.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Throwing under the bus would be, "We lost the game because we fumbled on the drive that would have given us a 10 point lead." CPJ never said that. He said the game would have been different. Which is true. He also said defense could have made a stop. He also said the offense could have gone down and scored again.

He never blamed Searcy for the loss, and he never called him out personally. This might be the worst example someone has come up with for CPJ throwing someone under the bus. Usually I can at least get the point of view, but this one is just fire CPJ trolls not having a grip on reality.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, we did fumble going in. Did anybody expect him to ignore that fact. I sure didn't hear him say that Qua fumbled it. If he had said that, even though it was obvious to all whom he meant, then that would have been throwing him under the bus. You want to know someone who did throw a player under the bus? George O'Leary did to Jerry Mays, calling him out by name in a public forum.
A defensive coordinator threw a running back under the bus?

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
For what it's worth, Ellis Johnson was fired after two seasons at Auburn as defensive coordinator. He was only marginally better, if that, than Ted Roof.

Not that the transitive property applies to football, but I doubt Georgia Tech is suddenly a NC contender with Ellis Johnson as the DC.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally, I see no difference in how much accountability he takes after a loss than early in his tenure. He repeatedly stated in every interview since USF that there are things he could do better and that he is ultimately responsible.

I don’t see much difference in how CPJ are presents the players and himself after the game between his early years and now either.

Yet my opinion has changed over those years and I don’t think there is any inconsistency in the fact that I changed my opinion either.

1) When he complained about defensive coaches early in his tenure, it was reasonable. Maybe the DC was a bad fit, or wasn’t as good up close as they appeared to be. But 3-4 DCs later that same reasoning wears thin.
2) When you’re complaining about people on the Oline not doing a good job early in your tenure I can understand that maybe you haven’t had time to IMO,Ember or you need to make some corrections, etc. but when I’m hearing the same stuff 10 years later it indicates that you really haven’t made the changes you knew you had to make.

The issue is not what CPJ is saying or how he is saying it. The issue is that 10 years later, we are seeing the same problems he himself identified 10 years ago. And there doesn’t appear to be even a hint of a plan that would give us hope to believe that if he is GT coach 10 years from now we won’t be seeing the same problems even then.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
My God GT, I think I love you ! This is exactly the attitude I hate about this board. Some tend to act like we have to coddle these kids.

Hearing opinions is living life and it unavoidable.
There is a huge gap between coddling people and calling them out in the media.

No one is saying that he shouldn’t point out to players when they are doing something wrong. Some are arguing that he shouldn’t be doing this in the media. I don’t even necessarily agree with these folks that CPJ is calling out players in the media. But your claim that anyone is suggesting that players mistakes should not be pointed out to them at all and that they should be coddled is clearly a straw man.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see much difference in how CPJ are presents the players and himself after the game between his early years and now either.

Yet my opinion has changed over those years and I don’t think there is any inconsistency in the fact that I changed my opinion either.

1) When he complained about defensive coaches early in his tenure, it was reasonable. Maybe the DC was a bad fit, or wasn’t as good up close as they appeared to be. But 3-4 DCs later that same reasoning wears thin.
2) When you’re complaining about people on the Oline not doing a good job early in your tenure I can understand that maybe you haven’t had time to IMO,Ember or you need to make some corrections, etc. but when I’m hearing the same stuff 10 years later it indicates that you really haven’t made the changes you knew you had to make.

The issue is not what CPJ is saying or how he is saying it. The issue is that 10 years later, we are seeing the same problems he himself identified 10 years ago. And there doesn’t appear to be even a hint of a plan that would give us hope to believe that if he is GT coach 10 years from now we won’t be seeing the same problems even then.

CPJ complained about those same things in 2014. He has said many times that he is a perfectionist that is always looking to do better and get more out of his team. He is upfront that, while not realistic, his goal is perfection. With that attitude, you will never not here those types of comments from him if he stayed 50 years.

Listen, if we miss a bowl this year, I agree it is probably time to move on. But if you can guarantee me a repeat of 2008-2016 again, sign me up!