CPJ Coaches show

GTFLETCH

Banned
It always falls on the head coach, but would you be willing to agree in this instance it also goes beyond him? Like to the resources he has been given? Or how he’s been denied the hire of a defensive coordinator he wanted? Does he deserve blame? Most definitely, I won’t go as far to say that it’s all on him when there are others even above him. It’s not like he’s coaching at UGA or Bama where it’s pretty much do what you want and hire who you want, money is no issue. Can you agree with that? My issue with complaints about CPJ is this, not many teams in the country over the past 10 years have had the success of GT, even with the bad years. I think people compare what GT does to their own exspectations instead of comparing what GT does to the rest of the football world. I’ll be the first to say the two losing seasons in the past 3 years should not be excepted but I’m also willing to give a good coach (as proven by his success) one last try now that he’s been given resources to succeed. Just how I see it.

I hold Coach Johnson accountable for this mess....
- 3-4 DCs later, it is still a mess.
- firing our ST coach Ray Rychleski in 2016 and not hiring another ST Coach.
- Not hiring an OC so he could help solve this DC or ST issue....

When you win you can forgive alot of this, but when you have 18 wins in four season and the 2014 season is becoming farther and farther in the rear view mirror and there doesn’t appear to be even a hint of a plan that would give us hope for the future.... WOW I guess we can give him 5 more years.... SMH

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Why isn't he asking his DC what does he need to change in the O to become more successful. GOL wanted his DC to look for tendencies that other teams could pick up on. Not sure PJ's ego will let that happen.
Unless someone would ask that question we don't know that real answer. ( just not sure CPJ would listen to anyone telling him what to do on his offense )

What you are talking about would be a head coach that runs the team like a CEO and hires the best people to do the work ( Dabo )
This is not how I see CPJ , I see him more like a President of a company who runs the offense and wants a DC that runs his defense so he can spend time only on the offense.( I could be wrong but this is how I see it ) Why do I see it that way , He hires the best DC he can find and after awhile he has to tell them to do this and do that. Now in doing that he is not spending the time on his offense like to wants. So after a couple of year he fires them and we start over again. IMO only

Deleted member 2897

Unless someone would ask that question we don't know that real answer. ( just not sure CPJ would listen to anyone telling him what to do on his offense )

What you are talking about would be a head coach that runs the team like a CEO and hires the best people to do the work ( Dabo )
This is not how I see CPJ , I see him more like a President of a company who runs the offense and wants a DC that runs his defense so he can spend time only on the offense.( I could be wrong but this is how I see it ) Why do I see it that way , He hires the best DC he can find and after awhile he has to tell them to do this and do that. Now in doing that he is not spending the time on his offense like to wants. So after a couple of year he fires them and we start over again. IMO only

I have worked with startup technology companies for the last 20 years. I have noticed that one of the top determinants of success versus failure are if the CEO is a micromanager or if they hire good people in the major lines of business (Sales, Marketing, Engineering) and delegates responsibility to them. If the CEO views the company as their baby, they frequently don't spend time on the things that really matter, and instead have their eyes and hands in everybody's daily business. They make emotional decisions instead of rational decisions due to how close and vested they are in their own personal project.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Wins & Losses are all that matter.... We have 18 wins since 2015
2015 - 3-9
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

I love it when people cherry pick stats.

Let me try:

Wins & Losses are all that matter.... We have 29 wins since 2014 (29-24)
2014 - 11-3
2015 - 3-9
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

OR

Wins & Losses are all that matter.... We have 16 wins since 2016 (15-12)
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Let me try:

2014 - 11-3
2015 - 3-9
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

OR

2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

And this is the reason CPJ won't be fired this year. Do I agree ? Yes
Am I ready to see a change ? yes
And now you know why I drink

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
And this is the reason CPJ won't be fired this year. Do I agree ? Yes
Am I ready to see a change ? yes
And now you know why I drink

Lol. I need to drink more. [emoji23]

I’m so torn about CPJ. I like him and I think he’s done some good things at GT but things have turned sour. I’m not sure he would be out of the hot seat even if we beat Clemson this weekend. I’d like to know what the administration, donors, and players think about this current situation. I’m also concerned we could fall even further into the abyss if we replace CPJ with the wrong coach. There’s plenty of room for decadence.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Let me try:

2014 - 11-3
2015 - 3-9
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

OR

2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

This is the excuse equivalent to damning with faint praise. When you cherry pick stats and still get a win% less than the guy who came before you that got fired you know things are bad.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
This is the excuse equivalent to damning with faint praise. When you cherry pick stats and still get a win% less than the guy who came before you that got fired you know things are bad.

Yes, still bad but just about everybody on the team was banged up in 2015 so I don’t think it’s very fair to start with 2015...or 2014 for that matter since it appears to be an anomaly. Last year was awful and this year may be worse and I think we can lay a good portion of the blame for these years at CPJ’s door but I truly think 2015 was just an awful string of injuries.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Lol. I need to drink more. [emoji23]

I’m so torn about CPJ. I like him and I think he’s done some good things at GT but things have turned sour. I’m not sure he would be out of the hot seat even if we beat Clemson this weekend. I’d like to know what the administration, donors, and players think about this current situation. I’m also concerned we could fall even further into the abyss if we replace CPJ with the wrong coach. There’s plenty of room for decadence.

I agree I like him but something last game showed me he may not be having fun any more. I'll just keep going to the games and wait till the end of the season.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree I like him but something last game showed me he may not be having fun any more. I'll just keep going to the games and wait till the end of the season.

What does a drop off from Coach promoting the program look like?

Always does a good job of promoting his system and that's great,because I love the offense.

Would love to hear more of what a great place gt is, grad rate way up, Atlanta, and how the ad is giving us what we need, etc.

Imo
Whoever is our coach in the future (and that includes Coach), needs to be way more up beat.

The oc can keep quiet but the head coach needs to look like loves gt and its fans.

By way
I am still on track for my 7-5 season with some heart breaking losses and some beat down wins. Unfortunately we are using up my heartbreaking losses pretty fast, which sets us up for 5 wins of last 6.

Man I love our offense!

GTFLETCH

Banned

Let me try:

2014 - 11-3
2015 - 3-9
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

OR

2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

Using your 29 wins since 2014... Lets dig deeper into ACC wins... 15 Conference wins in the last five years.... out of 33 tries.... not even .500 in ACC play.. where we get Duke, UVA, and UNC every year... WOW really sad..
2014 - 6-2
2015 - 1-7
2016 - 4-4
2017 - 4-4
2018 - 0-1

OR

You can forget 2015 season and say eight Conf wins in the last three years out of 17 tries... Still less then .500...
2016 - 4-4
2017 - 4-4
2018 - 0-1

Again really sad... Maybe this year we can go 4-4 and get to .500 ...But my question is when did it become ok to lose to Duke, UNC and UVA and have a .500 or less Conf record... Why did Chan Gailey get fired??? Time to rebuild, Lets get a Coach who can Build the Brand

GTFLETCH

Banned
Johnson NAMED the captains. He did not CHOOSE them; the players on the team did that.

From the first link you gave: "Johnson said at the end of his tweet that there is "No greater honor than being selected by teammates!"

From the second one: "No higher honor that being selected by your teammates as a team captain -- congratulations to our 2018 captains TaQuon Marshall and Brant Mitchell"
Ok... He annouced who the Captians were really early then he has in teh past...Maybe he is trying to mix it up and give the team a jolt, however it seems to have backfired...maybe I am wrong maybe Tech upset Clemsons and runs the tables...That would be great.... Maybe Tech Upset Clemson like they did FSU in 2015 and then lose every game after.... Who knows... We will have to wait and see.

My point was merely that he wasn't following the usually Coach Johnson "anouncing of team Captains in late sept that he had done for so long on the flats." Maybe there is nothing there... was just an observation

Ok... He annouced who the Captians were really early then he has in teh past...Maybe he is trying to mix it up and give the team a jolt, however it seems to have backfired...maybe I am wrong maybe Tech upset Clemsons and runs the tables...That would be great.... Maybe Tech Upset Clemson like they did FSU in 2015 and then lose every game after.... Who knows... We will have to wait and see.

My point was merely that he wasn't following the usually Coach Johnson "anouncing of team Captains in late sept that he had done for so long on the flats." Maybe there is nothing there... was just an observation
I really have no idea as to when during the off-season, the captains are named, but IIRC, on at least one earlier year under Justin, the captains were named before September. As far as whether it has backfired or not, I'm not sure whom else the team would have picked. There really doesn't seem to be any REAL team leaders, nor were there last year. And I think that lack of team leadership is showing up on the field.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I hold Coach Johnson accountable for this mess....
- 3-4 DCs later, it is still a mess.
- firing our ST coach Ray Rychleski in 2016 and not hiring another ST Coach.
- Not hiring an OC so he could help solve this DC or ST issue....

When you win you can forgive alot of this, but when you have 18 wins in four season and the 2014 season is becoming farther and farther in the rear view mirror and there doesn’t appear to be even a hint of a plan that would give us hope for the future.... WOW I guess we can give him 5 more years.... SMH
You are making assumptions that he would be given the opportunity to do those things you’d like him to do. I’m sorry but he doesn’t get the say like Smart, Saban, and Dabo. I understand your frustration, but this boils down to talent, and talent will not get better unless we do something to help the program which we are just now doing.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yea because football competition was so hard before CPJ lol. Apples to oranges.....

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

He gave the reasons of why he did it early, he said he wanted leadership in the offseason to get the guys together and working hard before spring. If you don’t have someone leading that might not happen, that’s my understanding at least.

Using your 29 wins since 2014... Lets dig deeper into ACC wins... 15 Conference wins in the last five years.... out of 33 tries.... not even .500 in ACC play.. where we get Duke, UVA, and UNC every year... WOW really sad..
2014 - 6-2
2015 - 1-7
2016 - 4-4
2017 - 4-4
2018 - 0-1

OR

You can forget 2015 season and say eight Conf wins in the last three years out of 17 tries... Still less then .500...
2016 - 4-4
2017 - 4-4
2018 - 0-1

Again really sad... Maybe this year we can go 4-4 and get to .500 ...But my question is when did it become ok to lose to Duke, UNC and UVA and have a .500 or less Conf record... Why did Chan Gailey get fired??? Time to rebuild, Lets get a Coach who can Build the Brand

Gailey was fired because he struggled to beat a really really good UGA program at the time.

Meanwhile, Johnson (with the exception of three years) has had a really (relatively) weak UGA to deal with and still has struggled to beat them. I think Gailey would have lost to them in 2008, but probably would have beat them in 09 and 10. After that, there's no telling since the roster was mostly CPJ recruits starting in 2011.

I think it was a good idea to fire Gailey at the time.

slugboy

Staff member
Gailey was fired because he struggled to beat a really really good UGA program at the time.

Meanwhile, Johnson (with the exception of three years) has had a really (relatively) weak UGA to deal with and still has struggled to beat them. I think Gailey would have lost to them in 2008, but probably would have beat them in 09 and 10. After that, there's no telling since the roster was mostly CPJ recruits starting in 2011.

I think it was a good idea to fire Gailey at the time.

There were a couple of mediocre years in there for CPJ, but O'Leary is the guy who got UGA against Ray Goff and Jim Donnan. If any coach caught UGA when they were down, it was O'Leary.

CPJ has faced two of the better coaches that UGA has had. Some of the wins have been against some of their better teams.

There wasn't really much hope that Gailey was going to win any of those games against UGA, regardless of how good they were.

UGA year over year
CPJ Era
2017 13-2
2016 8-5 (GT win)
2015 10-3
2014 10-3 (GT win)
2013 8-5
2012 12-2
2011 10-4
2010 6-7
2009 8-5
2008 10-3 (GT win)

Chan Gailey Era
2007 11-2
2006 9-4
2005 10-3
2004 10-2
2003 11-3

There were a couple of mediocre years in there for CPJ, but O'Leary is the guy who got UGA against Ray Goff and Jim Donnan. If any coach caught UGA when they were down, it was O'Leary.

CPJ has faced two of the better coaches that UGA has had. Some of the wins have been against some of their better teams.

There wasn't really much hope that Gailey was going to win any of those games against UGA, regardless of how good they were.

UGA year over year
CPJ Era
2017 13-2
2016 8-5 (GT win)
2015 10-3
2014 10-3 (GT win)
2013 8-5
2012 12-2
2011 10-4
2010 6-7
2009 8-5
2008 10-3 (GT win)

Chan Gailey Era
2007 11-2
2006 9-4
2005 10-3
2004 10-2
2003 11-3
Gailey had more than enough opportunity to beat the mutts, but he had Patrick Nix as OC and Reggie Ball at QB. Reggie might not have been as big a problem as Nix though. If he had had a good OC, he probably would have turned into one of Tech's greatest QBs