CPJ Coaches show

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not hearing him being a jerk; I’m hearing him tell it like it is. I’d much rather listen to a straight shooter than someone who tries to put lipstick on a pig. I can handle anything he says and if these young men are GT students, they can handle it too.

My God GT, I think I love you ! This is exactly the attitude I hate about this board. Some tend to act like we have to coddle these kids.

Hearing opinions is living life and it unavoidable. In a time when a large portion of our societies kids are out drinking, smoking, missing work or simply living off mom and dad, we should give the ones who are at Tech credit for the ability to differentiate haters from those who are big time supporters and who are simply frustrated. If you get offended by people talking plain about football then how in the world can you live life in general in peace ? Try thinking about the fact that members on this board also invest time and money in Tech; they spend hours of their day planted in a seat somewhere deeming these kids worthy of watching which means they support them ! It also means they have thoughts and opinions. Some risk their marriages for Tech and sleep in the doghouse due to their loyalty

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t see them as “kids”. There are “kids” their age that are police officers, fire fighters, and are overseas getting shot at while serving in the military. What these young men are going through is a cake walk by comparison.

I’m sure CPJ treats them better than I got treated when I was a “kid” playing pee wee and midget football. I clearly remember more than one coach calling us every name in the book...there was no word that was off limits. Oh how times have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT 05 its official I love you ! sorry for my PDA. IF I COULD LIKE THIS COMMENT 500 TIMES I WOULD !!!

He said "we" fumbled going in or something of that nature --- on this board talking about an actual play is considered "throwing a kid under the bus"
Well, we did fumble going in. Did anybody expect him to ignore that fact. I sure didn't hear him say that Qua fumbled it. If he had said that, even though it was obvious to all whom he meant, then that would have been throwing him under the bus. You want to know someone who did throw a player under the bus? George O'Leary did to Jerry Mays, calling him out by name in a public forum.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, we did fumble going in. Did anybody expect him to ignore that fact. I sure didn't hear him say that Qua fumbled it. If he had said that, even though it was obvious to all whom he meant, then that would have been throwing him under the bus. You want to know someone who did throw a player under the bus? George O'Leary did to Jerry Mays, calling him out by name in a public forum.

Hard to talk about football when others think it's throwing people under the bus when you talk about the actual plays. It's like we have to talk in code, did you see player x when he threw to player b and then player f missed the block ? It's interesting that those same folks don't call people out when they talk about the good plays that occurred

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
He’s definitely not a very good salesman. Might be why he’s not the best recruiter either.

Recruit: Thanks for the offer coach
CPJ: We could really use you. GT might not have the best Jerseys or gear. Or that many fans. Or a sold out stadium. Or a bunch of good looking women. But the academics are tough and we don’t have any elite talent so you may could get some early playing time. We’d be glad to have ya.
Recruit: Oh never mind

Last edited:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
My God GT, I think I love you ! This is exactly the attitude I hate about this board. Some tend to act like we have to coddle these kids.

Hearing opinions is living life and it unavoidable. In a time when a large portion of our societies kids are out drinking, smoking, missing work or simply living off mom and dad, we should give the ones who are at Tech credit for the ability to differentiate haters from those who are big time supporters and who are simply frustrated. If you get offended by people talking plain about football then how in the world can you live life in general in peace ? Try thinking about the fact that members on this board also invest time and money in Tech; they spend hours of their day planted in a seat somewhere deeming these kids worthy of watching which means they support them ! It also means they have thoughts and opinions. Some risk their marriages for Tech and sleep in the doghouse due to their loyalty

My wife is going to be SO jealous. LOL.

Anyway, I don’t want anyone trashing our SAs but I just don’t see coach doing that during his shows. He may point out that someone made a bad play but I’ve never thought he called someone out as a bad player. Big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
He did sort of throw Qua under the bus. He said "You have to care enough to hold onto the ball". So Qua doesn't care enough? I know CPJ said that in the heat of the moment and he really didn't mean it that way, but it was a bad choice of words. If I am Qua, I would not be happy about that statement.

For example, do you think CPJ would be happy if Qua had said post game "You have to care enough to make sure that the kickoff coverage doesn't have too many freshman"? Because the those two kickoffs cost us more than Qua's fumble.

Again, I don't blame CPJ for making that statement about Qua after the game when his emotions were obviously running high, but it sure sounded like he was looking for a scapegoat (although I do not think that was his intention).

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
He’s definitely not a very good salesman. Might be why he’s not the best recruiter either.

Recruit: Thanks for the offer coach
CPJ: We could really use you. GT might not have the best Jerseys or gear. Or that many fans. Or a sold out stadium. Or a bunch of good looking women. But the academics are tough and we don’t have any elite talent so you may could get some early playing time. We’d be glad to have ya.
Recruit: Oh never mind
You might be surprised at the prospects now. Aside from maybe EE It’s much improved.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I understand why people think CPJ threw Qua under the bus, but I really think it was only an example of the bigger problem with turnovers.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
He did sort of throw Qua under the bus. He said "You have to care enough to hold onto the ball". So Qua doesn't care enough? I know CPJ said that in the heat of the moment and he really didn't mean it that way, but it was a bad choice of words. If I am Qua, I would not be happy about that statement.

For example, do you think CPJ would be happy if Qua had said post game "You have to care enough to make sure that the kickoff coverage doesn't have too many freshman"? Because the those two kickoffs cost us more than Qua's fumble.

Again, I don't blame CPJ for making that statement about Qua after the game when his emotions were obviously running high, but it sure sounded like he was looking for a scapegoat (although I do not think that was his intention).

Pretty sure CPJ not only would have no problem with someone criticizing him for our kickoff coverage last week, but would be the first to take ownership and agree.

Also, not only did CPJ go right back to Qua on the next series, but I am pretty sure he made comments this week about “the kid” doing a great job on that series taking care of the ball with both hands.

I don’t know Qua, but would be absolutely blown away if he had any problem with CPJ’s remark whatsoever.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Now that I reread my post, I can see why people are jumping on me.

What I meant was...it seems like every game we have the same problems that result from the fact that the players didn't execute or that the coaches didn't do a good job, or any of the other things on the list. My point is that it sucks following this team year after year where we have to point out the same miscues/mistakes/miscommunications.

I didn't mean to say that Johnson spews the same stuff for the hell of it. I agree with everything he is saying, and it gets old that we have to hear the same truth week after week.
The things that plague GT in losses are the same things that plague other teams in losses. It’s just football.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The special teams play walks all over my remaining nerve. Two kickoff returns the length of the field more than irks me. Play of the defense bothers me but I knew going in it was a work in progress and as such could be abused. Well, in the second half it was. Combined with an offensive fail it was more than we could handle. I am not going to set what remains of my hair on fire, stamp my feet or jump up and down. Rebuilding the defense is a long game. They will do better and my hope is it starts Saturday. But if not then we have to continue outscoring people until it does, and I believe it will. The new D coordinator was not a genius before South Florida and the village idiot afterward. With that said, I'm done with South Florida. Pittsburgh is up.