CPJ Coaches show

Yea becuase no Coach besides Paul Johnson could take our team to B2B2B 8 win seasons... Oh wait Coach Johnson has not done that yet... The last Coach to do that was George O'Leary 1998 - 2001.... But yep when Coach Johnson leaves Georgia Tech our football team is doomed... no coach will be able to replace him....Not sure I agree with your FEAR campaign
Um wrong wE WON OUR LAST GAME IN 2001 Tenuda as head coach.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No proof... Look at the Georgia Tech teams under CPJ that ran a 4-3.... compare that to the Teams that ran a 3-4.... Look I want to CPJ to be the next Bobby Dodd and take us to the CFP, but until he decides to pass more the offense is what it is.... I am tired of changing DCs and blaming them for all the problems.... Bottomline is Wins and losses and CPJ has had more Wins with 4-3 as his Defensive scheme... It is late and I am not going to post the records ... But here is the link you can inform yourself... https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/
I’m sorry but what your not understanding is this 3-4 is nothing like the 3-4 we have ran before, so that argument doesn’t hold weight. Also idc what the records were, The D was awful in a 4-3 and the D is not what has won GT games in the past but it’s been the offense. Bottom line though, us running a 3-4 or a 4-3 is not what’s winning us games. And btw some of our best years our D was just really bad and we ran a 4-2-5 not even a 4-3. Also my comments about proof were related to the blocking and not the defense, and I mean no disrespect when I ask this, what is your background to football?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It is lack of leadership... Leadership & discipline go hand in hand... Not sure why Coach Johnson named Marshall and Mitchell as Captians as early as he did, but there is an issue with lack of leadership.... Maybe he did that becuase of the "videos of Tech DBs punching each other" either way... marshall is CPJ guy, but not the teams.. Same thing on Defense.... I am not sure Brant should be starting he is really slow... Bruce Jordan Swilling, Quez Jackson... All should be playing....
CPJ didn’t name the captains, the players voted on who they wanted captains. I said it in another thread, the team needs captains that not only guy look up to off the fields but guys that go out and ball out on the field week in and week out.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yea becuase no Coach besides Paul Johnson could take our team to B2B2B 8 win seasons... Oh wait Coach Johnson has not done that yet... The last Coach to do that was George O'Leary 1998 - 2001.... But yep when Coach Johnson leaves Georgia Tech our football team is doomed... no coach will be able to replace him....Not sure I agree with your FEAR campaign
Gotta understand football is not even close to being what it was back then.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I’m sorry but what your not understanding is this 3-4 is nothing like the 3-4 we have ran before, so that argument doesn’t hold weight. Also idc what the records were, The D was awful in a 4-3 and the D is not what has won GT games in the past but it’s been the offense. Bottom line though, us running a 3-4 or a 4-3 is not what’s winning us games. And btw some of our best years our D was just really bad and we ran a 4-2-5 not even a 4-3. Also my comments about proof were related to the blocking and not the defense, and I mean no disrespect when I ask this, what is your background to football?
Since you do not care about the defensive schemes or the records under those schemes.. ( I remember in 2009 ..Clemson driving and it was 4th and 1 and our D got the tackle for loss that sealed the game) You must be really be pissed about how our offense has sucked lately.... No way you buy the lie that changing DCs is going to make our offense better anytime soon.

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned
CPJ didn’t name the captains, the players voted on who they wanted captains. I said it in another thread, the team needs captains that not only guy look up to off the fields but guys that go out and ball out on the field week in and week out.
Normally CPJ waits to name the captains in late Sept after a few games.... However he named Marshall and Mitchell in Jan....Proof below

2014 Captains named 24 sep 2014
Link
https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2...ent-captains-named-for-2014/comment/260783988

2018 Captains named before season/ before Spring
Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/taquon-m...ia-tech-2018-captains/XOLmpb47Mqm8Y6rlulbuGI/

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Since you do not care about the defensive schemes or the records under those schemes.. ( I remember in 2009 ..Clemson driving and it was 4th and 1 and our D got the tackle for loss that sealed the game) You must be really be pissed about how our offense has sucked lately.... No way you buy the lie that changing DCs is going to make our offense better anytime soon.
Our offense has sucked? I thought top 25 in offense efficiency was pretty good. I’d hate to see what teams think of their offense that are not in the top half like GT. And a 4-3, 4-2-5, or a 3-4 is not what helps us win, it’s what’s being done inside of those schemes, and we have not ran a scheme like we have now. What’s it matter anyways? Or D has been awful for 10 years now, why not try something that has not been done yet with this new scheme?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Normally CPJ waits to name the captains in late Sept after a few games.... However he named Marshall and Mitchell in Jan....Proof below

Link
https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2...ent-captains-named-for-2014/comment/260783988

Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/taquon-m...ia-tech-2018-captains/XOLmpb47Mqm8Y6rlulbuGI/
Yes, he “named them” but he was not the one that picked them. Two different things, the players voted on them and CPJ revealed who the players voted for. I understand it was earlier than normal, but there was a reason behind it and they still were not hand picked by CPJ.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So you also think that when Coach Johnson leaves the program that Georgia Tech football will go through several 2-10 seasons??? Maybe we should just close the football program when Coach Johnson leaves...
Did you see me say that? That’s like the 5th time you’ve made an assumption based on a comment from when, when the assumption being made was literally not even hinted at by me. My point it that you are comparing the success of a coach from forever ago to a coach that is in a completely different era of football.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Our offense has sucked? I thought top 25 in offense efficiency was pretty good. I’d hate to see what teams think of their offense that are not in the top half like GT. And a 4-3, 4-2-5, or a 3-4 is not what helps us win, it’s what’s being done inside of those schemes, and we have not ran a scheme like we have now. What’s it matter anyways? Or D has been awful for 10 years now, why not try something that has not been done yet with this new scheme?
Wins & Losses are all that matter.... We have 18 wins since 2015
2015 - 3-9
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

I could care less if our offense leads the country in rushing or is in the top 25 in offense efficiency... All that matters is Wins and Losses.... Acc Championships.... Having your program Ranked in the Top 25 year in and year out.... I would rather be middle of the pack and win 8 and 9 games a year and be Ranked in the top 25... Then this... If being in the Top 25 offense effciency only leads to 18 wins over 4 years, I think I want Georgia Tech to hire a Head Coach who can hire and OC and focus on other aspects of the football team becuase clearly you need to have more going for your team then being ranked top 25 in offense effciency to win ball games in the ACC.. Just saying

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned
Did you see me say that? That’s like the 5th time you’ve made an assumption based on a comment from when, when the assumption being made was literally not even hinted at by me. My point it that you are comparing the success of a coach from forever ago to a coach that is in a completely different era of football.
No I did not compare Bobby Dodd to Paul Johnson.... I compared a rmore ecent Head Coach who had strung three season of 8+ wins or more...So to act like I was comparing CPJ to Pepper Rodgers, Bill Fulcher, or Bobby Ross is just BS...

I am sorry if you are not afraid to change coaches, there are some folks here who play the FEAR Card.... They act like Changing Coaches will be teh death of Georgia Tech Football

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Wins & Losses are all that matter.... We have 18 wins since 2015
2015 - 3-9
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

I could care less if our offense leads the country in rushing or is in the top 25 in offense efficiency... All that matters is Wins and Losses.... Acc Championships.... Having your program Ranked in the Top 25 year in and year out.... I would rather be middle of the pack and win 8 and 9 games a year and be Ranked in the top 25... Then this... If being in the Top 25 offense effciency only leads to 18 wins over 4 years, I think I want Georgai Tech to hire a Head Coach who can hire and OC and focus on other aspects of the football team becuase clearly you need to have more going for your team then being ranked top 25 in offense effciency to win ball games in the ACC.. Just saying
My point is the offense hasn’t been the issue, prove to me that the offense is bad. Records do not do that, the defense and ST is what’s caused a lot of those L’s. I agree 100 percent the W’s and L’s are all that matter, but that shouldn’t be the deciding factor on if a specific side of the ball is good or bad, and fact is, the offense has been better than the majority in the country.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No I did not compare Bobby Dodd to Paul Johnson.... I compared a rmore ecent Head Coach who had strung three season of 8+ wins or more...So to act like I was comparing CPJ to Pepper Rodgers, Bill Fulcher, or Bobby Ross is just BS...

I am sorry if you are not afraid to change coaches, there are some folks here who play the FEAR Card.... They act like Changing Coaches will be teh death of Georgia Tech Football
Once again never said you were comparing CPJ to Bobby Dodd, are you even reading me comments? O’Leary was a long time ago, sorry for my lack of words when I said forever, point is, football is way different now than it was under O’Leary, so you are comparing two completely different eras of football. And I by no means think changing coaches would be the death of GT.

GTFLETCH

Banned
My point is the offense hasn’t been the issue, prove to me that the offense is bad. Records do not do that, the defense and ST is what’s caused a lot of those L’s. I agree 100 percent the W’s and L’s are all that matter, but that shouldn’t be the deciding factor on if a specific side of the ball is good or bad, and fact is, the offense has been better than the majority in the country.
Ok... So the Offense is great....Who is ultimatley responsible for the defense and ST... Who is accountable for the L's?? If we can agree that it is the Head Coach, then we can start to have a conversation.....

I thought Coach Johnson should have been fired last year. He was allowed to blame a DC (again) and change ST duties to another person.... If Coach Paul Johnson is responisble then we can talk about we we suck and what we should do... My issue is that 10 years into the CPJ era we are seeing the same problems that Coach Johnson himself identified 10 years ago. And there doesn’t appear to be even a hint of a plan that would give us hope to believe that if he is GT coach 10 years from now we won’t be seeing the same problems even then.

Link

Link
Johnson NAMED the captains. He did not CHOOSE them; the players on the team did that.

From the first link you gave: "Johnson said at the end of his tweet that there is "No greater honor than being selected by teammates!"

From the second one: "No higher honor that being selected by your teammates as a team captain -- congratulations to our 2018 captains TaQuon Marshall and Brant Mitchell"

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ok... So the Offense is great....Who is ultimatley responsible for the defense and ST... Who is accountable for the L's?? If we can agree that it is the Head Coach, then we can start to have a conversation.....

I thought Coach Johnson should have been fired last year. He was allowed to blame a DC (again) and change ST duties to another person.... If Coach Paul Johnson is responisble then we can talk about we we suck and what we should do... My issue is that 10 years into the CPJ era we are seeing the same problems that Coach Johnson himself identified 10 years ago. And there doesn’t appear to be even a hint of a plan that would give us hope to believe that if he is GT coach 10 years from now we won’t be seeing the same problems even then.
It always falls on the head coach, but would you be willing to agree in this instance it also goes beyond him? Like to the resources he has been given? Or how he’s been denied the hire of a defensive coordinator he wanted? Does he deserve blame? Most definitely, I won’t go as far to say that it’s all on him when there are others even above him. It’s not like he’s coaching at UGA or Bama where it’s pretty much do what you want and hire who you want, money is no issue. Can you agree with that? My issue with complaints about CPJ is this, not many teams in the country over the past 10 years have had the success of GT, even with the bad years. I think people compare what GT does to their own exspectations instead of comparing what GT does to the rest of the football world. I’ll be the first to say the two losing seasons in the past 3 years should not be excepted but I’m also willing to give a good coach (as proven by his success) one last try now that he’s been given resources to succeed. Just how I see it.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Once again never said you were comparing CPJ to Bobby Dodd, are you even reading me comments? O’Leary was a long time ago, sorry for my lack of words when I said forever, point is, football is way different now than it was under O’Leary, so you are comparing two completely different eras of football. And I by no means think changing coaches would be the death of GT.
Yea football changed from last year.... so it is diffrent it is always evolving.... See this years Cut Block rules.... While George Oleary coached at Georgia Tech until 2001 (you may not want to use Forever when trying to make a point since Tech has a rich history with many past Coaches) George O'leary led UCF to a 9-4 record in 2014, so to act like he is dead and cannot Coach he took a UCF team in 2013 to the Feista to a 13-1 record and finished ranked 10th... I am not saying we need to hire George Oleary. What I am saying is that even though football has evolved through the eras... Coaches who win at the highest level can and will win at Georgia Tech.... We need to hire the right guy, but one thing is clear Coach Johnson is not that guy anymore.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yea football changed from last year.... so it is diffrent it is always evolving.... See this years Cut Block rules.... While George Oleary coached at Georgia Tech until 2001 (you may not want to use Forever when trying to make a point since Tech has a rich history with many past Coaches) George O'leary led UCF to a 9-4 record in 2014, so to act like he is dead and cannot Coach he took a UCF team in 2013 to the Feista to a 13-1 record and finished ranked 10th... I am not saying we need to hire George Oleary. What I am saying is that even though football has evolved through the eras... Coaches who win at the highest level can and will win at Georgia Tech.... We need to hire the right guy, but one thing is clear Coach Johnson is not that guy anymore.
I agree guys can succeed at GT I was just making a point that football is way different than under Leary, especially from a competition stand point at GT. I do agree guys can succeed at GT though and I wouldn’t freak out when CPJ is gone.