CPJ Coaches show

There were a couple of mediocre years in there for CPJ, but O'Leary is the guy who got UGA against Ray Goff and Jim Donnan. If any coach caught UGA when they were down, it was O'Leary.

CPJ has faced two of the better coaches that UGA has had. Some of the wins have been against some of their better teams.

There wasn't really much hope that Gailey was going to win any of those games against UGA, regardless of how good they were.

UGA year over year
CPJ Era
2017 13-2
2016 8-5 (GT win)
2015 10-3
2014 10-3 (GT win)
2013 8-5
2012 12-2
2011 10-4
2010 6-7
2009 8-5
2008 10-3 (GT win)

Chan Gailey Era
2007 11-2
2006 9-4
2005 10-3
2004 10-2
2003 11-3

Not sure why you left out 2002 for Gailey which was a 1 loss UGA team.

Gailey had more than enough opportunity to beat the mutts, but he had Patrick Nix as OC and Reggie Ball at QB. Reggie might not have been as big a problem as Nix though. If he had had a good OC, he probably would have turned into one of Tech's greatest QBs

can't argue with this at all. I still think that the UGA teams he faced were better than most that CPJ has faced, but he still had the chance to win several towards the end of his tenure. it seems like there was at least one big wonky play in each of the last 3 games that Reggie played in (the "fumble" pullout touchdown play, the INT then fumble into the endzone for a touchback play, etc)

slugboy

Staff member
Not sure why you left out 2002 for Gailey which was a 1 loss UGA team.

I'm not sure a 51-7 blowout, that could have been worse, helps Gailey's case anyway. Gailey also had a top 25 Tenuta defense for most of his tenure, and Calvin for 3 years, and a down ACC, and still didn't perform well. For the most, I'd say CPJ HAD done better against tougher competition until the last 3-4 years. Now, I think he's regressed below, but at least had some good years.

We could check stats, but I'd say the last couple of years would be able to take on any of the early 2000's UGA teams.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I love it when people cherry pick stats.

Let me try:

Wins & Losses are all that matter.... We have 29 wins since 2014 (29-24)
2014 - 11-3
2015 - 3-9
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

OR

Wins & Losses are all that matter.... We have 16 wins since 2016 (15-12)
2016 - 9-4
2017 - 5-6
2018 - 1-2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm one that chooses to start with the 2015 season because that was the first time in 18 years we had missed a bowl game. I believe this year will make 3 out of 4 years we have missed since then. It is a clear sign that our program is heading in the wrong direction in my mind.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'm one that chooses to start with the 2015 season because that was the first time in 18 years we had missed a bowl game. I believe this year will make 3 out of 4 years we have missed since then. It is a clear sign that our program is heading in the wrong direction in my mind.

Yes, if you want to make things look their absolute worst, you would choose 2015.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Yes, if you want to make things look their absolute worst, you would choose 2015.

I'm not interested in making things look better or worse. I think when you do something for 18 consecutive years it should become an expectation of your program. I knew that a bad year was coming eventually but if this year goes the way I am expecting it to and we miss a bowl game in 3 out of 4 years, the trend is clearly a downward one. Why stick with the coach that is leading this negative trend?

GTFLETCH

Banned
He gave the reasons of why he did it early, he said he wanted leadership in the offseason to get the guys together and working hard before spring. If you don’t have someone leading that might not happen, that’s my understanding at least.
Interesting....not sure that has panned out... wonder whose fault it will be this time

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'm not interested in making things look better or worse. I think when you do something for 18 consecutive years it should become an expectation of your program. I knew that a bad year was coming eventually but if this year goes the way I am expecting it to and we miss a bowl game in 3 out of 4 years, the trend is clearly a downward one. Why stick with the coach that is leading this negative trend?

You only pick 2015 as a starting point if you want to make things look as bad as possible to support your argument. Conversely, if you wanted to make things look good, you start in 2014.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You only pick 2015 as a starting point if you want to make things look as bad as possible to support your argument. Conversely, if you wanted to make things look good, you start in 2014.

Buddy... come on. What in the world are you arguing?

Do you believe it should be expected for GT to make a bowl game annually as we did for 18 consecutive years? If so, why are you not calling for change if we miss one this year which would be 3 out of 4 years?

If you believe the landscape of college football has changed so drastically in the last 4 years then I just disagree.

Regardless, I start at 2015 because that is when the bowl slide started. It's not perception. It's fact. To include 2014 for example would be including data that is not pertinent to the downward trend of our program. 2014 was great. I made the trip to Miami and watched our Jackets destroy Mississippi State. It's what has happened since that game that is cause for concern.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Buddy... come on. What in the world are you arguing?

Do you believe it should be expected for GT to make a bowl game annually as we did for 18 consecutive years? If so, why are you not calling for change if we miss one this year which would be 3 out of 4 years?

If you believe the landscape of college football has changed so drastically in the last 4 years then I just disagree.

Regardless, I start at 2015 because that is when the bowl slide started. It's not perception. It's fact. To include 2014 for example would be including data that is not pertinent to the downward trend of our program. 2014 was great. I made the trip to Miami and watched our Jackets destroy Mississippi State. It's what has happened since that game that is cause for concern.

4 years also gives the opportunity to see at least a full recruiting class and at least a season with an experienced squad which Tech has this year.

RiseUpATL

Banned
Gonna have to agree with these guys. 2014 was a great year but that was an NFL Olineman and a star at QB ago. 3 recruiting classes since and we haven’t replicated that level of play. 2014 is a thing of the past as great of a season as it was. Will never forget that season.

But all the goodwill from that season has all but been stripped away with 2015 and 2017 and so far 2018 unless the team can turn it around.

I can’t let one great season be my guiding light going forward. Remember that one great season Hewitt gave us? 4 years after that season we wanted him ran out of town. Not sure why PJ gets a pass here by some,

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Gonna have to agree with these guys. 2014 was a great year but that was an NFL Olineman and a star at QB ago. 3 recruiting classes since and we haven’t replicated that level of play. 2014 is a thing of the past as great of a season as it was. Will never forget that season.

But all the goodwill from that season has all but been stripped away with 2015 and 2017 and so far 2018 unless the team can turn it around.

I can’t let one great season be my guiding light going forward. Remember that one great season Hewitt gave us? 4 years after that season we wanted him ran out of town. Not sure why PJ gets a pass here by some,

I don’t recall anyone suggesting we look at 2014. I suggested that using 2014 or 2015 for the starting point is misleading, the former because the season was an anomaly and the latter because we were devastated by injuries that year. A previous post:

Yes, still bad but just about everybody on the team was banged up in 2015 so I don’t think it’s very fair to start with 2015...or 2014 for that matter since it appears to be an anomaly. Last year was awful and this year may be worse and I think we can lay a good portion of the blame for these years at CPJ’s door but I truly think 2015 was just an awful string of injuries.

RiseUpATL

Banned
I don’t recall anyone suggesting we look at 2014. I suggested that using 2014 or 2015 for the starting point is misleading, the former because the season was an anomaly and the latter because we were devastated by injuries that year. A previous post:

Fair enough. I didn’t read the whole thread so I missed it. I agree with your side as well. It’s a conundrum!