CPJ Coaches show

GTFLETCH

Banned
I don’t see much difference in how CPJ are presents the players and himself after the game between his early years and now either.

Yet my opinion has changed over those years and I don’t think there is any inconsistency in the fact that I changed my opinion either.

1) When he complained about defensive coaches early in his tenure, it was reasonable. Maybe the DC was a bad fit, or wasn’t as good up close as they appeared to be. But 3-4 DCs later that same reasoning wears thin.
2) When you’re complaining about people on the Oline not doing a good job early in your tenure I can understand that maybe you haven’t had time to IMO,Ember or you need to make some corrections, etc. but when I’m hearing the same stuff 10 years later it indicates that you really haven’t made the changes you knew you had to make.

The issue is not what CPJ is saying or how he is saying it. The issue is that 10 years later, we are seeing the same problems he himself identified 10 years ago. And there doesn’t appear to be even a hint of a plan that would give us hope to believe that if he is GT coach 10 years from now we won’t be seeing the same problems even then.

As far as the Oline goes... I feel you! I also think the change in the blocking rules killed option teams this year. It's not only Tech that has to retool and probably get a new position coach that runs a different system, but it's Army, Navy and Air Force as well. The cut blocking is gone and with it smaller linemen who are quicker are losing their last niche. The rules favor the immovable objects and faster linebackers. So the Wishbone is finally broken. That rule killed it and CPJ knows it.... Not sure why he thought going back to a 3-4 (it did not work with Groh) would result in anything better.... 18 wins in four seasons and the cut blocking rule change ... Time start to rebuild!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
As far as the Oline goes... I feel you! I also think the change in the blocking rules killed option teams this year. It's not only Tech that has to retool and probably get a new position coach that runs a different system, but it's Army, Navy and Air Force as well. The cut blocking is gone and with it smaller linemen who are quicker are losing their last niche. The rules favor the immovable objects and faster linebackers. So the Wishbone is finally broken. That rule killed it and CPJ knows it.... Not sure why he thought going back to a 3-4 (it did not work with Groh) would result in anything better.... 18 wins in four seasons and the cut blocking rule change ... Time start to rebuild!
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not? If not, to say the blocking has killed the option offense is just not true, it only affects us on downfield cut blocking, now we have to block standing up from our abacks and OL like our WR’s do, and even then it shouldn’t be a lot. Also most cut blocks from our abacks are not down field, but they are before the 5 yards, and the same for our OL. I’d say it hasn’t affected us this year either with over 1,100 yards if I’m not mistaken. As for the 3-4, this is nothing like how Groh ran it, so it’s really comparing apples to oranges.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not? If not, to say the blocking has killed the option offense is just not true, it only affects us on downfield cut blocking, now we have to block standing up from our abacks and OL like our WR’s do, and even then it shouldn’t be a lot. Also most cut blocks from our abacks are not down field, but they are before the 5 yards, and the same for our OL. I’d say it hasn’t affected us this year either with over 1,100 yards if I’m not mistaken. As for the 3-4, this is nothing like how Groh ran it, so it’s really comparing apples to oranges.
ok.... so our 3-4 installed by new DC Woody has been so great we are not having any issues and we all think Al Groh was stupid.... Whatever....My point is that the 3-4 did not work once, it may not work again... It currently does not work right now... That is why we went to a 4-3 becuase playing 3-4 is more difficult.... We can agree to disagree... However we went to a Peach Bowl and 2 OB playing 4-3.... Our best season playing a 3-4 was B2B Sun Bowl years... I will take Multiple Orange Bowls and Peach Bowl over the Sun Bowl years.... But shoot CPJ may change DC before he leave anyways...stay tuned.. as the issue is not so much scheme as it is lack of talent... We need better athletes, bottomline!

I understand that you think Georgia Tech frequently blocks below the waist on the interior only, making up for its size disadvantage by cutting down bigger foes and freeing up space for its quick-hitting running game. Those blocks remain legal. I think you think the Yellow Jackets were already instructing players not to go low downfield. (NOT TRUE) so this new rule doesn't matter... However it does... Take a look at these three Coaches response to the rule change... Look at the record of those teams... Not being able to go low downfield has hurt Tech football and teams like Army and Navy.

Coach Paul Johnson on rule change:
https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...-blocking-rule-change/H2nG6lP7xEILZVppoMCI5I/
“Either blocking below the waist is dangerous or it’s not,” Johnson said. “It’s not anymore dangerous five yards down the field than it is on the line of scrimmage. If it’s that scary, they ought to not tackle below the waist.”

Jeff Monken
http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-...onken-sounds-off-on-cut-blocking-rule-change/
“There’s a lot of people out there trying to get rid of blocking below the waist because they want to make it into a big man’s game and frankly, I don’t think they want to face this offense,” Monken said. “I think they would like to see it just eliminate this offense altogether. They might get it done but we are going to continue to do it. If they tell us we can’t block below the waist, I don’t think we can go change our offense.” Monken added, “I don’t think it’s a great rule for football. Pretty soon if we eliminate blocking below the waist, it will become a big man’s game because a smaller athlete will not be able to win a one-and-one battle with a bigger player. I think that takes the parity out of the game. How does an undersized team have a chance to block a team that is bigger? They don’t. If you have two guys that are playing with really good pad level and really good fundamentals, physical superiority cancels all theory.”

Brian Bohannon
https://www.mdjonline.com/cobb_foot...cle_b8700880-482b-11e8-9fa3-33160889631f.html
“I’ve never seen a document or information that has to do with cut-blocking,” Bohannon said. “Most teams block below the waist. It’s taking a guy that’s not as big in stature and taking away his ability to compete. “ here’s a reason people go and buy tickets to watch the game,” Bohannon said. “It’s supposed to be a contact sport.”

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Listening to show he thinks TQM hung the moon...just don't get it
I think he’s in a tough spot with the QB position. The starter obviously is not going to become the consistent passer we need, Jay Jones is gone and Lucas is out. He doesnt want to send an inexpericed Oliver (who was pulled from his only game action so that our starter, who as I mentioned, isn’t much of a passer, could convert a 3rd and long) into his first start against Clemson’s defense. I think his best option at the moment is to support TQM and hope for the best.

GTFLETCH

Banned
LOL yea the cut blocking rule has killed us.....wait, we lead the nation in rushing by a wide margin...... 7.1 yards per carry
OK.. Call me crazy... Here is how I see it...The record problems go back to 2015. (18 Wins in four years) Had the rules not changed we might be doing better this year...

The "lose the fanbase" problems started with that TN game. The repose since then has been constant:
- No defense (the D is actually a lil better this year, but the result isn't different enough to translate onto the scoreboard)
- Atrocious special teams (special-teams coordinator Ray Rychleski left after 2016)
- An offense that can't deliver when it actually seriously matters and, worse than that, tends to turn it over when it really matters.

Self-destruction and being mentally unprepared is the fastest way to lose the GT fanbase. That's been the case for two years now. The USF & Pitt games was merely the catalyst that pushed things over the edge. Maybe I jumped the gun on the Cut blocking rule change... Maybe we just suck that bad that we are back to the Bill Lewis Era...

OK.. Call me crazy... Here is how I see it...The record problems go back to 2015. (18 Wins in four years) Had the rules not changed we might be doing better this year...

The "lose the fanbase" problems started with that TN game. The repose since then has been constant:
- No defense (the D is actually a lil better this year, but the result isn't different enough to translate onto the scoreboard)
- Atrocious special teams
- An offense that can't deliver when it actually seriously matters and, worse than that, tends to turn it over when it really matters. (Might be as simply as our outside edge/seal blocking concepts were changed via a new rule... Maybe not)

Self-destruction and being mentally unprepared is the fastest way to lose the GT fanbase. That's been the case for two years now. The USF & Pitt games was merely the catalyst that pushed things over the edge. Maybe I jumped the gun on the Cut blocking rule change... Maybe we just suck that bad that we are back to the Bill Lewis Era...

Funny thing about that Tennessee game, people point to the missed field goal, the failed 2 point conversion. Not picking on the kid, but it all goes back to the JJ Green Fumble. We were going to score and put that game away. Just saying.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
ok.... so our 3-4 installed by new DC Woody has been so great we are not having any issues and we all think Al Groh was stupid.... Whatever....My point is that the 3-4 did not work once, it may not work again... It currently does not work right now... That is why we went to a 4-3 becuase playing 3-4 is more difficult.... We can agree to disagree... However we went to a Peach Bowl and 2 OB playing 4-3.... Our best season playing a 3-4 was B2B Sun Bowl years... I will take Multiple Orange Bowls and Peach Bowl over the Sun Bowl years.... But shoot CPJ may change DC before he leave anyways...stay tuned

I understand that you think Georgia Tech frequently blocks below the waist on the interior only, making up for its size disadvantage by cutting down bigger foes and freeing up space for its quick-hitting running game. Those blocks remain legal. I think you think the Yellow Jackets were already instructing players not to go low downfield. (NOT TRUE) so this new rule doesn't matter... However it does... Take a look at these three Coaches response to the rule change... Look at the record of those teams... Not being able to go low downfield has hurt Tech football and teams like Army and Navy.

Coach Paul Johnson on rule change:
https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...-blocking-rule-change/H2nG6lP7xEILZVppoMCI5I/
“Either blocking below the waist is dangerous or it’s not,” Johnson said. “It’s not anymore dangerous five yards down the field than it is on the line of scrimmage. If it’s that scary, they ought to not tackle below the waist.”

Jeff Monken
http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-...onken-sounds-off-on-cut-blocking-rule-change/
“There’s a lot of people out there trying to get rid of blocking below the waist because they want to make it into a big man’s game and frankly, I don’t think they want to face this offense,” Monken said. “I think they would like to see it just eliminate this offense altogether. They might get it done but we are going to continue to do it. If they tell us we can’t block below the waist, I don’t think we can go change our offense.” Monken added, “I don’t think it’s a great rule for football. Pretty soon if we eliminate blocking below the waist, it will become a big man’s game because a smaller athlete will not be able to win a one-and-one battle with a bigger player. I think that takes the parity out of the game. How does an undersized team have a chance to block a team that is bigger? They don’t. If you have two guys that are playing with really good pad level and really good fundamentals, physical superiority cancels all theory.”

Brian Bohannon
https://www.mdjonline.com/cobb_foot...cle_b8700880-482b-11e8-9fa3-33160889631f.html
“I’ve never seen a document or information that has to do with cut-blocking,” Bohannon said. “Most teams block below the waist. It’s taking a guy that’s not as big in stature and taking away his ability to compete. “ here’s a reason people go and buy tickets to watch the game,” Bohannon said. “It’s supposed to be a contact sport.”
First I never said the 3-4 has been great so far, but I do understand not to expect it to be after the first year when guys are being asked to do something COMPLETELY different. Look at CNW at App State, it wasn’t until the 2nd year that improvement was really made. Are you really judging the D on 3 games, when there has been evident improvements? Your point about the 3-4 not working before is invalid because it was a COMPLETELY different system being ran, like I said apples to oranges. As far as the success under a 4-3, are we really going to act as if the 4-3 was what helped win those big games? It was an outstanding offense that won those big games, the D was still awful with the 4-3. To the comments of the coaches, CPJ said it really won’t affect them. I also never said we just cut at the LOS, when a OL pulls we cut but generally before the 5 yards and the same with our Abacks. After the 5 yards, if they can’t cut and they miss a block, oh well, we at least picked up 5 yards, but it shouldnt be a big issue to be honest, the guys just need to get on the face of the defender and block him. Also NONE of those comments said anything about the new rule affecting them, CPJ’s comments would actually contradict that. Those comments are strictly talking about how cut blocks aren’t dangerous and basically the new rule doesn’t make sense, never said it will affect them though. I also could care less about the record, how does the record have any baring on if the offense is playing well or not? Fact of the matter is, the stats would suggest that the new rule has not affected anything, Army and Navy are both 2-1 btw. All three teams have put up big numbers, are you going to argue those numbers with no facts? I get that we all have our own opinions and there is nothing wrong with that, I respect you opinion as well. My point though is your comments have no proof, and the numbers would suggest otherwise.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

- Atrocious special teams (special-teams coordinator Ray Rychleski left after 2016)
- An offense that can't deliver when it actually seriously matters and, worse than that, tends to turn it over when it really matters.

Personally, I don’t think we suck. I actually think we could be a very good team. The thing I see is a very undisciplined team, something that can and should change, but you really never know. D rather have issues with not keeping assignments (undisciplined) over getting mad handled. The big this is how do we get disciplined, that idk.

GTFLETCH

Banned
First I never said the 3-4 has been great so far, but I do understand not to expect it to be after the first year when guys are being asked to do something COMPLETELY different. Look at CNW at App State, it wasn’t until the 2nd year that improvement was really made. Are you really judging the D on 3 games, when there has been evident improvements? Your point about the 3-4 not working before is invalid because it was a COMPLETELY different system being ran, like I said apples to oranges. As far as the success under a 4-3, are we really going to act as if the 4-3 was what helped win those big games? It was an outstanding offense that won those big games, the D was still awful with the 4-3. To the comments of the coaches, CPJ said it really won’t affect them. I also never said we just cut at the LOS, when a OL pulls we cut but generally before the 5 yards and the same with our Abacks. After the 5 yards, if they can’t cut and they miss a block, oh well, we at least picked up 5 yards, but it shouldnt be a big issue to be honest, the guys just need to get on the face of the defender and block him. Also NONE of those comments said anything about the new rule affecting them, CPJ’s comments would actually contradict that. Those comments are strictly talking about how cut blocks aren’t dangerous and basically the new rule doesn’t make sense, never said it will affect them though. I also could care less about the record, how does the record have any baring on if the offense is playing well or not? Fact of the matter is, the stats would suggest that the new rule has not affected anything, Army and Navy are both 2-1 btw. All three teams have put up big numbers, are you going to argue those numbers with no facts? I get that we all have our own opinions and there is nothing wrong with that, I respect you opinion as well. My point though is your comments have no proof, and the numbers would suggest otherwise.
No proof... Look at the Georgia Tech teams under CPJ that ran a 4-3.... compare that to the Teams that ran a 3-4.... Look I want to CPJ to be the next Bobby Dodd and take us to the CFP, but until he decides to pass more the offense is what it is.... I am tired of changing DCs and blaming them for all the problems.... Bottomline is Wins and losses and CPJ has had more Wins with 4-3 as his Defensive scheme... It is late and I am not going to post the records ... But here is the link you can inform yourself... https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/

GTFLETCH

Banned
I understand the frustration but sometimes I don’t know what the hell you guys want.

One second CPJ throws the players under the bus too much and then the next second you’re mad he doesn’t bench his QB on the radio show?
Lets rebuild!!! Time to get a Coach who can Build the Brand along with the 2020 GTAA Fundraising Campaign....

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned
Personally, I don’t think we suck. I actually think we could be a very good team. The thing I see is a very undisciplined team, something that can and should change, but you really never know. D rather have issues with not keeping assignments (undisciplined) over getting mad handled. The big this is how do we get disciplined, that idk.
It is lack of leadership... Leadership & discipline go hand in hand... Not sure why Coach Johnson named Marshall and Mitchell as Captians as early as he did, but there is an issue with lack of leadership.... Maybe he did that becuase of the "videos of Tech DBs punching each other" either way... marshall is CPJ guy, but not the teams.. Same thing on Defense.... I am not sure Brant should be starting he is really slow... Bruce Jordan Swilling, Quez Jackson... All should be playing....

GTFLETCH

Banned
Yea, let's get a guy to change everything and go 2-10 for 3 years. the brand....ESPN bottom 10... hello Bill Lewis.
Yea becuase no Coach besides Paul Johnson could take our team to B2B2B 8 win seasons... Oh wait Coach Johnson has not done that yet... The last Coach to do that was George O'Leary 1998 - 2001.... But yep when Coach Johnson leaves Georgia Tech our football team is doomed... no coach will be able to replace him....Not sure I agree with your FEAR campaign

It is lack of leadership... Leadership & discipline go hand in hand... Not sure why Coach Johnson named Marshall and Mitchell as Captians as early as he did, but there is an issue with lack of leadership.... Maybe he did that becuase of the "videos of Tech DBs punching each other" either way... marshall is CPJ guy, but not the teams.. Same thing on Defense.... I am not sure Brant should be starting he is really slow... Bruce Jordan Swilling, Quez Jackson... All should be playing....

And I have been thinking this as well. Last year the team had internal issues. Mathew Jordan was to be the starter. I think something is wrong in the state of Denmark.