Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

Deleted member 2897

Interesting that you would link an article that says nothing about your claimed reason for delays.

Okay, make your own conclusion. They don't care. They don't have time. There isn't enough money or manpower to put on it. The climate is warming. LOL.

I mean, if they focused like a laser on it, there is no reason we can't pay people faster. We have mechanisms in place at both the state and federal level to do it.

I'd be interested to hear why you think it will take nearly 2 months to cut a check to someone?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The South will rise again...and riot...

The story nor the title really say that it is going to happen. The story quotes a sports law expert who says that he is doubtful that there will be a season. There aren't established experts saying that isolation will occur through November, October, September, .. The story doesn't actually say that the season won't occur, but it does insinuate pretty heavily that it won't. At this point nobody knows what we will be doing 1 month from now, much less six months from now.

EDIT: I wanted to edit to say that there aren't established experts saying that we will be in isolation after summer. Most are saying that they don't know how long.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The story nor the title really say that it is going to happen. The story quotes a sports law expert who says that he is doubtful that there will be a season. There aren't established experts saying that isolation will occur through November, October, September, .. The story doesn't actually say that the season won't occur, but it does insinuate pretty heavily that it won't. At this point nobody knows what we will be doing 1 month from now, much less six months from now.

EDIT: I wanted to edit to say that there aren't established experts saying that we will be in isolation after summer. Most are saying that they don't know how long.

There's a "what if" disclaimer. The writer is just positing the implications.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to click "like" on that, because although I am glad you posted it, I don't like the content. Very sad.

Up until now, the casualties of this virus have been minimal (relatively speaking), and they have only been clustered in a few big cities. I think we're just now getting into the "sh!t just got real" stage. I think once the death toll climbs, hospitals start filling up across the nation, and we start seeing videos of jam packed ERs and body bags being wheeled out of hospitals...that's when the real pain will begin to hit home.

Unfortunately, I think the past month is just the prelude of what's really coming. These local "shelter in place" directives are a semi-joke. I live in Atlanta, and I have a view of the Beltline trail from my place. The Beltline is PACKED, parks are full of people, stores are packed, and people are still throwing house parties. People are still have the "it's not real because I haven't been affected directly" stage.

Up until now, the casualties of this virus have been minimal (relatively speaking), and they have only been clustered in a few big cities. I think we're just now getting into the "sh!t just got real" stage. I think once the death toll climbs, hospitals start filling up across the nation, and we start seeing videos of jam packed ERs and body bags being wheeled out of hospitals...that's when the real pain will begin to hit home.

Unfortunately, I think the past month is just the prelude of what's really coming. These local "shelter in place" directives are a semi-joke. I live in Atlanta, and I have a view of the Beltline trail from my place. The Beltline is PACKED, parks are full of people, stores are packed, and people are still throwing house parties. People are still have the "it's not real because I haven't been affected directly" stage.
WOW

There are bike trails on the Beltline, aren't there? I have just got my old mountain bike refurbished and plan to use it on the Augusta Canal bike (and walking) trail. A friend of mine who is already using the trail, says a lot of people use it, but apparently not enough to avoid proper distancing. I've got to do something physical since my gym is shut down because of the crisis. I am also looking into a "stand" which I can put the bike on and use inside as a stationary bike. Even with the close availability of the trail, I think I would be more likely to use the bike inside most of the time. I've got to pick up my bike in a few minutes, so I am going to see what I can find out about those "stands" while I am at the shop. I already asked the people at the shop about it, and they sell for around $200.00. I need details about it though, which I hope to get when I pick up my bike.

Deleted member 2897

I strongly agree with your sentiment.

And I think if people sit back and think about a couple important things, their attitudes might be different. The news has reported that all 16 temporary hospitals in China have been closed, kids are going back to school, and they haven't had a single new case in weeks. Just think about the viability of that - not 1 new case in weeks? What if all the data China is reporting is false? If so, then mark them out of the equation and look at the rest of the world. South Korea is hanging on by a thread with 100 new cases every single day despite massive restrictions on movement, massive testing, and heavy quarantine and isolation procedures. And that's the best news in the world. Everywhere else across Europe and so on is a total and complete disaster. Italy, Germany, France, Spain, the UK, and so on - not a single country has bent the curve at all.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow

We haven't come close to peak reported cases, I fear. We have to act, not react to this. Gov. Kemp needs to tell the STATE to stay home.

I strongly agree with your sentiment.

And I think if people sit back and think about a couple important things, their attitudes might be different. The news has reported that all 16 temporary hospitals in China have been closed, kids are going back to school, and they haven't had a single new case in weeks. Just think about the viability of that - not 1 new case in weeks? What if all the data China is reporting is false? If so, then mark them out of the equation and look at the rest of the world. South Korea is hanging on by a thread with 100 new cases every single day despite massive restrictions on movement, massive testing, and heavy quarantine and isolation procedures. And that's the best news in the world. Everywhere else across Europe and so on is a total and complete disaster. Italy, Germany, France, Spain, the UK, and so on - not a single country has bent the curve at all.
I have not and will not believe a single word coming out of China. After all, they refused to let any US doctors come over after the outbreak started, and they actually said the US military created the virus. And yet, the MSM have totally sold out to them and believe every word they say

Techster

Helluva Engineer
WOW

There are bike trails on the Beltline, aren't there? I have just got my old mountain bike refurbished and plan to use it on the Augusta Canal bike (and walking) trail. A friend of mine who is already using the trail, says a lot of people use it, but apparently not enough to avoid proper distancing. I've got to do something physical since my gym is shut down because of the crisis. I am also looking into a "stand" which I can put the bike on and use inside as a stationary bike. Even with the close availability of the trail, I think I would be more likely to use the bike inside most of the time. I've got to pick up my bike in a few minutes, so I am going to see what I can find out about those "stands" while I am at the shop. I already asked the people at the shop about it, and they sell for around $200.00. I need details about it though, which I hope to get when I pick up my bike.

The Beltline is a multi use urban trail. People walk/jog/ride bikes/walk dogs/etc on it. It really popular, but right now people are being dumb about it.

I have one of those stands that attaches to back wheel so you can bike in place. They're pretty neat. You should also look into kettle bells for some light resistance workouts. I'm a big proponent of high intensity circuit workouts. Kettle bells + biking would be awesome for you right now. Check out youtube for home workouts you can do with just body weights or dumbbells.

The Beltline is a multi use urban trail. People walk/jog/ride bikes/walk dogs/etc on it. It really popular, but right now people are being dumb about it.

I have one of those stands that attaches to back wheel so you can bike in place. They're pretty neat. You should also look into kettle bells for some light resistance workouts. I'm a big proponent of high intensity circuit workouts. Kettle bells + biking would be awesome for you right now. Check out youtube for home workouts you can do with just body weights or dumbbells.
I have never done any kind of weights, just lower body "machines" at the gym and stretching at home. I need the cardio / aerobic type exercise now more than anything. That's why I thought about my old bike. Fortunately, I kept it inside the house since the last time I rode it, which, unbelievably, may have been as long as 20 years ago....WOW. Anyway, I was stunned when the shop called me yesterday and said the bike was still in excellent condition, and their "tune up" would only cost $75.00. I was expecting it to need a complete servicing, which costs $250.00.

My biggest problem with using the local bike trail is that I don't have any kind of rack on my car, and just taking the front wheel off is not enough for me to get it in the car trunk. I took both wheels off to get to the bike shop, and I will never do that again. I could never have gotten it back together again. Plus, even doing that, I still had to tie down my trunk lid. Fortunately, after I go pay them, they will deliver it to me. To get to the trail, I have to ride a little over a mile on city streets, one of which is a semi-major thoroughfare, and that sort of bothers me. All the more reason to buy the thing that allows me to use it inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.