Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The opacity of the Chinese Communist government obliges responsible outside observers to look for clues to the truth of the coronavirus epidemic, instead of merely repeating official information without question.
The official count from China is 3,277 fatalities from 81,171 infections as of Tuesday, but the Epoch Times noted the troubling disappearance of some 21 million cell phone accounts in China over the past three months – an unprecedented decline that hints at more fatalities than Beijing is prepared to admit.
It should be stated at the outset that we should not be forced to read tea leaves to figure out what really happened in China, especially in the virus epicenter of Hubei province and the city of Wuhan, where Chinese officials are currently making claims of zero new infections that no one seriously believes. While more responsible governments issue troubling warnings of a second wave of infections, severe enough to prompt the re-imposition of quarantine procedures that were only recently lifted, China claims it has no second wave and all of its new coronavirus cases are imported."

Sounds a little fishy to me.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Okay, make your own conclusion. They don't care. They don't have time. There isn't enough money or manpower to put on it. The climate is warming. LOL.

I mean, if they focused like a laser on it, there is no reason we can't pay people faster. We have mechanisms in place at both the state and federal level to do it.

I'd be interested to hear why you think it will take nearly 2 months to cut a check to someone?
Because it’s government work and as in most cases their instructions are incomplete. But it has nothing fk
Okay, make your own conclusion. They don't care. They don't have time. There isn't enough money or manpower to put on it. The climate is warming. LOL.

I mean, if they focused like a laser on it, there is no reason we can't pay people faster. We have mechanisms in place at both the state and federal level to do it.

I'd be interested to hear why you think it will take nearly 2 months to cut a check to someone?
the article simply makes an assumption based on what happened in 2001 and 2008. The writer has no idea what instructions have been or will be given.

Deleted member 2897

"The opacity of the Chinese Communist government obliges responsible outside observers to look for clues to the truth of the coronavirus epidemic, instead of merely repeating official information without question.
The official count from China is 3,277 fatalities from 81,171 infections as of Tuesday, but the Epoch Times noted the troubling disappearance of some 21 million cell phone accounts in China over the past three months – an unprecedented decline that hints at more fatalities than Beijing is prepared to admit.
It should be stated at the outset that we should not be forced to read tea leaves to figure out what really happened in China, especially in the virus epicenter of Hubei province and the city of Wuhan, where Chinese officials are currently making claims of zero new infections that no one seriously believes. While more responsible governments issue troubling warnings of a second wave of infections, severe enough to prompt the re-imposition of quarantine procedures that were only recently lifted, China claims it has no second wave and all of its new coronavirus cases are imported."

Sounds a little fishy to me.

Yea no new cases in 2 weeks is bull****. They had a massive wave of death and are still fighting it. IIWII.

Deleted member 2897

My cousin is an executive with an American brewery company and lives in the U.K. MIT grad, Harvard MBA. Sick with fever and called around. Nobody is able to give her a COVID-19 test. So she self quarantined. Rest of her family is sick now but not too and. She’s about 38 I think and had shortness of breath enough to call a doctor - still no ability to get a test. Got some drugs and hunkered back down.

My point is that everybody is struggling with this. Nobody has everything they need and is on autopilot.

Deleted member 2897

MUSC is one of our local hospitals that’s been doing drive through testing for awhile. We have 4-5 hospitals here in Charleston. They announced today they’ve gotten 43 positive tests back. Roper Saint Francis said they have 10 positives in their hospital.

The stove here is currently on simmer. I feel like we’re right in the edge of going to a boil but we still have a chance with this lockdown to cool the temps.

slugboy

Staff member
I have never done any kind of weights, just lower body "machines" at the gym and stretching at home. I need the cardio / aerobic type exercise now more than anything. That's why I thought about my old bike. Fortunately, I kept it inside the house since the last time I rode it, which, unbelievably, may have been as long as 20 years ago....WOW. Anyway, I was stunned when the shop called me yesterday and said the bike was still in excellent condition, and their "tune up" would only cost $75.00. I was expecting it to need a complete servicing, which costs $250.00.

You can bruise yourself up pretty good with a kettlebell. They’re great for exercise, but for a lot of the moves your form has to be just right or you whack yourself good.
Even sometimes when your form is decent, you can get a good solid bruise out of it.
It’s a good idea to have a trainer go through it with you first.

========

Different subject: Thought the math from this British Channel 4 article was interesting. I haven’t fact checked it, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can bruise yourself up pretty good with a kettlebell. They’re great for exercise, but for a lot of the moves your form has to be just right or you whack yourself good.
Even sometimes when your form is decent, you can get a good solid bruise out of it.
It’s a good idea to have a trainer go through it with you first.

========

Different subject: Thought the math from this British Channel 4 article was interesting. I haven’t fact checked it, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your comments on kettle bells. That confirms my way of thinking. I assume you read the rest of what I was saying earlier about my bike. I did indeed purchase the "stand" that allows me to use my bike as a stationary bike, and it is now in place in my TV room. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it should be interesting and hopefully beneficial.

Deleted member 2897

https://abc14news.com/2020/03/24/21-million-chinese-cellphone-users-disappear-in-three-months/

As EE posted, 21m fewer cell phone accounts in China in the Dec/Jan/Feb period than the year before. However, that’s not the whole story. China’s economy and population is growing. In those 3 months from 2018 to 2018, there were 24m more accounts. So there are actually about 50m fewer cell phone accounts than what you’d predict.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn about satellite pictures of mass graves or crematoriums at some point.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Here is Doctor Birx describing the worst case scenario estimates that have been reported.

EDIT: The video looks like it is the press conference. It is, but the link is starting at a point where Birx is describing the worst case scenario predictions. It wasn't my intent to post this as the whole press conference.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My cousin is an executive with an American brewery company and lives in the U.K. MIT grad, Harvard MBA. Sick with fever and called around. Nobody is able to give her a COVID-19 test. So she self quarantined. Rest of her family is sick now but not too and. She’s about 38 I think and had shortness of breath enough to call a doctor - still no ability to get a test. Got some drugs and hunkered back down.

My point is that everybody is struggling with this. Nobody has everything they need and is on autopilot.
... story can't be true. The UK has socialized medicine and is perfect. No way it's true that they can't be tested!

Seriously though, hope she and the family get better regardless if it's covid19 or not.

Deleted member 2897

... story can't be true. The UK has socialized medicine and is perfect. No way it's true that they can't be tested!

Seriously though, hope she and the family get better regardless if it's covid19 or not.

Yea that’s how I feel too right now - I don’t care who you are - I dont wish this on anybody. The odds are increasing someone we know on here or their family runs across this insidious virus. I hope everyone stays well.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Virus is not mutating quickly. This sounds like good news with this little qualifier (from article):

"That relative stability suggests the virus is less likely to become more or less dangerous as it spreads..."

And this final line from the article.... previous reports about multiple (2) strains seem to be not supported.

"Although one team of scientists earlier this year suggested that there might be two distinct strains of the virus with different levels of typical disease severity, that conjecture has not been embraced by the scientific community."

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/20...ing-a-vaccine-would-offer-lasting-protection/

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Wonder how long it'll take before we know if the anti malaria drug and z-pac are working in New York? I'm hoping that goes well and people can start relaxing about this whole thing.

Deleted member 2897

Retired people on Social Security are getting payments too. This will be tens and tens of millions of people. What a total waste. We are just dumb. But not a surprise.

Let’s hope the House just passes as-is. I do see wastefulness in this bill, but not like what was in the House Bill.

Deleted member 2897

3.3 million new unemployment claims last week. Even significantly worse than forecasts.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coro...l-unemployment-claims-march-21-153036254.html

This is an all-time record by like a factor of 5.

By comparison, that would represent a 70% relative increase in unemployment (2% absolute) from 3.3% to 5.3%, in one week. Our next monthly unemployment report will probably look similar to Norway’s recent report, increasing from 3% to 11%.

Status
Not open for further replies.