Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_EE78

Banned
FYI, i'm out in a rural area and just bought the last 3pack of N95's at my HW store. Learned that warehouse is out of stock with no resupply date.. lucky for me my emergency kit(only 3 items) is ready for completely virus unrelated reasons.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Current death rate corrected for diagnosis date is running about 4.2%. The traditional Flu is something like 0.2%. (21x higher)

I am NOT an expert, but I do wonder about this data. The biggest thing I wonder about is how many people actually have the virus. My understanding is that many people who test positive actually show NO symptoms, ever. And fully 80% show such mild symptoms that they have NO idea they have it. My own guess is that we will come to find out that we are undercounting, by many factors of magnitude, how many people actually are getting the virus and that the mortality rate is actually much closer to the flu. If you look at who is dying, it is generally the same group the flu kills...the very young and the very old.

I remain skeptical about the true severity of all this. I understand the figures, but we are still a long, one way from losing 16,000 people EVERY year from this virus, as we do with the flu. We are used to seeing 16,000 people killed every year by a disease (the flu) and because coronavirus is new, we get frightened easily. As I said, I remain skeptical.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm sure he won't be the most popular person on this board, but John Oliver gave a rundown of Coronavirus this week.

Meanwhile, I'm trying my best to stop touching my face. Doing better, but still challenging.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s amazing how infections and deaths have changed just since I posted it this morning. Diagnoses in Italy increased 25%, just today. We had no deaths until like yesterday, and now we have 6 dead.

We have one of the better healthcare systems in the world, and 6 of the first 50 diagnosed are now dead.
Most of those 6 deaths are all from a nursing home facility that had an outbreak going on undiagnosed for weeks. I wouldn't get in a panic over those.

The vast majority of deaths related to corona virus are in the elderly or immunocompromised individuals.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Meanwhile, I'm trying my best to stop touching my face. Doing better, but still challenging.

Have you tried one of these:

s-l400.jpg

Dow Jones Recovers 1,300 Points Despite Increase in U.S. Coronavirus Deaths. That's a one day record. Obviously the market may still go up and down a lot over the next few weeks, if not months, but it sure looks like the DIMocrats' hopes for the economy tanking because of the virus and thus bringing Trump down are working out just about as well as the Russia hoax and the Ukrainian crap.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Dow Jones Recovers 1,300 Points Despite Increase in U.S. Coronavirus Deaths. That's a one day record. Obviously the market may still go up and down a lot over the next few weeks, if not months, but it sure looks like the DIMocrats' hopes for the economy tanking because of the virus and thus bringing Trump down are working out just about as well as the Russia hoax and the Ukrainian crap.
Maybe this is a big Obamacare ploy to knock off the old & infirm to reduce healthcare spending? We could be missing the big picture here.

Deleted member 2897

Most of those 6 deaths are all from a nursing home facility that had an outbreak going on undiagnosed for weeks. I wouldn't get in a panic over those.

The vast majority of deaths related to corona virus are in the elderly or immunocompromised individuals.

Same as the Flu.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Okay, this is not funny anymore. Someone tested positive in North Carolina; this person just returned from Washington where they were visiting that nursing home. If my weekend at Cherokee gets cancelled I'm not going to be happy.:poop::cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.