• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Death rate down to 2% in Ga.

But I know you guys want me to wait two weeks but, two weeks ago when you said that, it was at 2.4%. So..................
3 of the 5 worst days for deaths in Georgia have been recorded in the last week. Florida reported its single worst day for deaths and hospitalizations ever today. Are you expecting all of that to stop completely?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I am old enough to remember people saying essentially the same stuff back in the 1980's...."don't worry", they told me, "they'll never legalize gay marriage". (NB-you can substitute any number of other "progressive" changes instead of gay marriage, which in fact does not offend me in the least...but is simply used as a sign of the fact that these things DO happen.)

Perhaps you are younger and less....experienced.
Nope I’m 63. But I imagine most of those things you are thinking of I never could understand why they were issues to start with. Using your gay marriage issue for example, I don’t know why I should care who someone else marries. Some change is positive you know. But for the US to turn from capitalism is so far fetched that I can’t imagine it. Now pure capitalism where there are no rules or limits hasn’t been our system maybe ever and we aren’t going there either and some adjustments may be reasonable. For example I am concerned with the growing consolidation of markets. But there are too many people who benefit to give it away, including most of those currently protesting against racism. The fringe is just that, a fringe element with little real support.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Death rate down to 2% in Ga.

But I know you guys want me to wait two weeks but, two weeks ago when you said that, it was at 2.4%. So..................
Yeah, death rate's getting lower. It will go lower still as treatment methods continue to improve, though we're still losing a thousand a day, nationally.
That's why you should tamp the virus down early on, to give time for the treatment methods to catch up. Too bad we did such a poor job of that.

BeachBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
3 of the 5 worst days for deaths in Georgia have been recorded in the last week. Florida reported its single worst day for deaths and hospitalizations ever today. Are you expecting all of that to stop completely?
But a couple of weeks ago, cases was the number that mattered. The seven day moving average of cases has been going down for 2 weeks now. The average of deaths will follow and then you will have to make up a whole new metric to say how bad we are doing. Wonder what it will be?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, death rate's getting lower. It will go lower still as treatment methods continue to improve., though we're still losing a thousand a day, nationally.
That's why you should tamp the virus down early on, to give time for the treatment methods to catch up. Too bad we did such a poor job of that.

The peak was in April. Have had a bump recently. So why are we still cowering? 32,000 died in New York. Almost 16,000 in New Jersey (32% OF ALL US DEATHS). Next closest state to double digits is Mass at 7,500. The vast majority of states are below 5,000 deaths, including Florida; and Texas is just over 6,000. I think the nation as a whole did a good job. Just a handful of outliers made us look bad.

Every life is sacred, I fully understand that as we are having a memorial service for my grandmother this weekend who died in April and our family could not gather as a whole and I attended 2 funerals this week alone. But when our way of life is interrupted, call me callous, but I would expect the death rates to be at least 10%+. This is just being blown out of proportion.

Deleted member 2897

We didn’t break 1% of our population being infected until 2 weeks ago.

Antibody tests in Sweden show almost 10% have had it. Parts of Italy show nearly 60% have had it. Parts of Spain over 10%.

Thise rates correspond to the results they’ve seen in New York. The vast majority of our country did flatten the curve...it can be argued too well - tens of thousands of nurses and doctors got laid off. Our hospitals were empty.

Milwaukee

Banned
So you’re saying you haven’t seen anyone saying that? I’d say it’s pretty much everywhere, especially getting weight under control and reducing drinking.

Where have they been pushing this info down the masses’ throats like they have with shutdowns and closing companies and wearing masks?

They haven’t.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Nope I’m 63. But I imagine most of those things you are thinking of I never could understand why they were issues to start with. Using your gay marriage issue for example, I don’t know why I should care who someone else marries. Some change is positive you know. But for the US to turn from capitalism is so far fetched that I can’t imagine it. Now pure capitalism where there are no rules limits hasn’t been our system maybe ever and we aren’t going there either. But there are too many people who benefit to give it away, including most of those currently protesting against racism. The fringe is just that, a fringe element with little real support.
I hope you are correct, but I fear you may not be. With a news media that seems to have abandoned all idea of reporting pure facts, and has migrated into propaganda worse than at any time in my living memory, I am far less certain than you are.

We have gone through a stretch where globalists have wrecked our middle class, sending all decent jobs for high school grads overseas and allowing factories to close. Now we are reaping the results of that with unrest in poor communities which frankly I don't blame them for...they have been betrayed by the elite establishments of both political parties who in their greed want to maintain the status quo. (NB, this has nothing to do with race, poor communities are all colors.) Yet, we see people continue to vote in the same types of people over and over again...rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. It is rather like our entire society has been brainwashed. Trump was elected by a bunch of folks who were sick of the political class in general (not by a bunch of redneck racists). Biden will be a return to the globalist policies that got us into trouble in the first place. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. Meanwhile, we see things like a true justice system being discarded in our universities, we see a cancel culture that can actually get people fired, and perhaps even killed, we see late term abortions being accepted as the norm and most shocking of all, we see violence in our streets (the "fringe" as you call them) being embraced and defending by a major political party. (My point about gay marriage, which I also don't have any issues with, was simply to illustrate how much change has occurred and seems to be still occurring.)

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
But a couple of weeks ago, cases was the number that mattered. The seven day moving average of cases has been going down for 2 weeks now. The average of deaths will follow and then you will have to make up a whole new metric to say how bad we are doing. Wonder what it will be?
Are you looking at the 7 day window chart on the Ga DPH site? You realize that is incomplete data, right? Here is an actual chart with real reported results. The moving average is not going down.

caab6ebb-d869-45b1-b261-5a8061557dec_1920x1080.png

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Are you looking at the 7 day window chart on the Ga DPH site? You realize that is incomplete data, right? Here is an actual chart with real reported results. The moving average is not going down.

Why does ANYONE care about case counts? (except to make political points.) What matter is hospitalizations.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are correct, but I fear you may not be. With a news media that seems to have abandoned all idea of reporting pure facts, and has migrated into propaganda worse than at any time in my living memory, I am far less certain than you are.

We have gone through a stretch where globalists have wrecked our middle class, sending all decent jobs for high school grads overseas and allowing factories to close. Now we are reaping the results of that with unrest in poor communities which frankly I don't blame them for...they have been betrayed by the elite establishments of both political parties who in their greed want to maintain the status quo. (NB, this has nothing to do with race, poor communities are all colors.) Yet, we see people continue to vote in the same types of people over and over again...rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. It is rather like our entire society has been brainwashed. Trump was elected by a bunch of folks who were sick of the political class in general (not by a bunch of redneck racists). Biden will be a return to the globalist policies that got us into trouble in the first place. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. Meanwhile, we see things like a true justice system being discarded in our universities, we see a cancel culture that can actually get people fired, and perhaps even killed, we see late term abortions being accepted as the norm and most shocking of all, we see violence in our streets (the "fringe" as you call them) being embraced and defending by a major political party. (My point about gay marriage, which I also don't have any issues with, was simply to illustrate how much change has occurred and seems to be still occurring.)
You say globalist I see capitalism at work. If wages are lower somewhere else you move there. I agree there are fundamental issues that need addressing but identifying the root cause is critical.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
@WreckinGT

I like how you talk about the DPH uses incomplete date, yet you site the DPH from the 19th of July on the 28th of July.
They literally tell you right below that chart that it is incomplete data.
* 14-day window – Confirmed cases over the last 14 days may not be accounted for due to illnesses yet to be reported or test results may still be pending.

Milwaukee

Banned
Yeah, death rate's getting lower. It will go lower still as treatment methods continue to improve, though we're still losing a thousand a day, nationally.

😂 the backtracking now by you is hilarious.
D82700FF-2FA3-47F8-B933-1A257689C1A1.gif

BeachBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was talking about Florida.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So it could be going down then. How interesting...

Why use incomplete data to say the data I'm citing is incomplete🙈🙉🙊
I didn't say the data that you are using is incomplete. I didn't quote you when I made that comment. I was saying to someone else that if they are claiming that the 7 day average for cases has gone down for the last two weeks then either they are viewing the chart on the DPH website that does include incomplete data or they are just making it up because it isn't true.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say the data that you are using is incomplete. I didn't quote you when I made that comment. I was saying to someone else that if they are claiming that the 7 day average for cases has gone down for the last two weeks then either they are viewing the chart on the DPH website that does include incomplete data or they are just making it up because it isn't true.

I believe they might have been using my earlier statement about the death rate going down because I related it to the falling total death rate provided by the DPH over the past couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.