Conference Realignment

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It is very difficult to get accurate projectsion. The average payout for the ACC last year is listed as $44.8 million. However, GT is listed as $55.36 million from "Conference/NCAA Distributions, Media Rights, and Post-Season Football" in the Knight database. How the numbers are derived for different disclosures and different projections are hard to determine.

However, if we take the $44.8 million and use the 4.5% increase that was listed from the ESPN contract in the FSU lawsuit, then in 2030, ACC teams will be receiving about $55 million per school in 2030. I have seen projections for the Big10 all the way up to $120 million per year in 2030.

Not accurate, I understand. $50 million is the number that FSU claimed while filing the lawsuit last year. They claimed it in such a way as to make people believe it would be in 2024-25, not in six years. The Big10 and SEC are currently about $7 to $15 million on average higher than the ACC. They are both about to get a bump from their new media contracts. There is a website nvgt.com that did projections in 2022, but there data from 2022-2024 doesn't match what actually happened. I don't know if their projections were wrong, or if it isn't all inclusive. I lean towards being wrong. They over-projected the revenue of the Big10 and SEC for the last three years, and under-projected the revenue of the ACC. It is hard to know exactly what will happen in the future.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not yet. not looking numbers up at the moment, but I think the SEC was something like $8-10 million more last fiscal year. However, the projections show it rising. The SEC media payouts are getting a large bump in this fiscal year. Assuming the ACC increases at the same percentage rate that is in the contract, the difference by 2030 will be around $50-60 million per team between the ACC and the P2. FSU didn't start making noise about the GOR or the ACC media money until the details of the new SEC media contract were made public. FSU fans seem to have a little brother complex related to UF.
UF is the flag ship school of Florida. FSU is a former teachers college that went coed. Was very attractive to college age men with all those women back in the sixties. Especially when I entered GT and we had roughly 60 coeds on campus.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
UF is the flag ship school of Florida. FSU is a former teachers college that went coed. Was very attractive to college age men with all those women back in the sixties. Especially when I entered GT and we had roughly 60 coeds on campus.
You forgot the Bauder and Massey coeds, and those from Agnes Scott. 😛

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My brother went to FSU in the 60’s. It was 6:1 girls to guys. He had a date to every sports event and never took the same girl twice. He said it was close to Nirvana as you could get.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My brother went to FSU in the 60’s. It was 6:1 girls to guys. He had a date to every sports event and never took the same girl twice. He said it was close to Nirvana as you could get.
In 65 ish gt had about 50 ""girls""" on campus.

Dates cost money SO U could stand by dorm at techwood dr/ north avenue and girls woild drive by and pick u up to party at their place.. Vast supply of Stewardess in training, model school, nurse school, nurse at grady, admins in business, govt. They all liked tech guys. Look out for hs girls!

If we all keep posting we can get to 1000.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Vast supply of Stewardess in training, model school, nurse school, nurse at grady, admins in business, govt.
One of my Tech professors had attended GT and described how to date a nurse at Crawford Long who worked the 11-7 shift. You could enjoy her company, drop her off, then scoot over to Georgia Baptist and get a second date with one who was just coming off the 3-11 shift. He smiled as he recalled his brilliant hand at scheduling.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The "Ratio" is 56/44 M/F for this semester's freshman class. My how times have changed.
I feel cheated.

Youarenotalone Notalone GIF by The Prepared Performer

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying it is a good deal. We don't really even know the specifics of the deal. This article was just a poorly written rant though. It makes no attempt to rationalize why the ACC might be considering the deal, which they apparently are.

For the deal itself, im still trying to figure out why the ACC is considering it. Outside of the obvious possibility that they don't feel as strongly about their case or don't want to be tied up in legal proceedings for years, it seems ESPN is more involved than is reported. There are rumors that they are willing to fit the bill (or some of the bill) on the extra "tv viewership" money that will be going to some schools. The original media deal signed was also contingent on the grant of rights. Is ESPN really ok with the ACC just shortening that if they feel like it? Im not sure the ACC can even do that without ESPNs blessing. Or is ESPN possibly involved in that discussion? Its hard to know just how much weight ESPN is throwing around here to get what they want.
We don't know that the ACC is considering it in the sense of viewing it as a serious framework to work with. All we know is that. per sources, it's "being discussed". David McKenzie made an insightful comment about the context of the "discussion":

"One thing that seems lost on all the rumors & reporting about the FSU-Clem proposal is this: A lawyer has a duty to relay a settlement proposal to her client no matter how ridiculous it is. It's not surprising that this has happened, & that the ACC presidents will discuss it."

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Add in the legal settlement that says colleges will/ can pay players and it just got way worse.
Before the giant sec verses others tv advertiser monry sent to coaches, buildings, ice cream machines. That only does so much.

Now that delta can go to helping thier alrwady strong sec NIL.

Maybe this is why fsu is wanting more money.

Some states and schooks could combine get very creative and generous to the player.
Let's be honest, uga's is going to pay the bail bondsman and the legal fees.