Conference Realignment

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
You are correct. SMU's Dallas/Fort Worth (#5 overall) is now the biggest single market in ACC's portfolio.
Too bad nobody in DFW could care less about college football, or at least that’s the impression I got when I lived there for a short while years ago. Certainly nothing like here in the south (see what I did there).

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Too bad nobody in DFW could care less about college football, or at least that’s the impression I got when I lived there for a short while years ago. Certainly nothing like here in the south (see what I did there).
I find that hard to believe but It doesn’t matter, they are all getting billed for it anyway

slugboy

Staff member
The Athletic (NY Times) takes a jaded view of the “offer”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/57...-proposal-lawsuit/?source=user_shared_article
ACC could quiet Florida State, Clemson, but why give in to desperation play?

Their conclusion:
But the facts remain the same. The ACC holds every ounce of leverage, and Clemson and FSU saying they’ll stay in the league only under their terms is the ultimate walk-back, a desperation play. Which in turn means if the ACC goes along, it’s only offering those schools the dollar-lined off-ramp they’re desperately seeking.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
I find that hard to believe but It doesn’t matter, they are all getting billed for it anyway
Grew up there, DFW definitely isn’t Atlanta in terms of overall level of CFB interest. And SMU will have an uphill climb against UT, A&M, OU, etc. Lots of alums of those and lots of transplants in general in DFW (similar to Atlanta in that way).

TCU is on the other, smaller, side of the metroplex but has had a lot more success, without turning into a power conference ratings juggernaut.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Grew up there, DFW definitely isn’t Atlanta in terms of overall level of CFB interest. And SMU will have an uphill climb against UT, A&M, OU, etc. Lots of alums of those and lots of transplants in general in DFW (similar to Atlanta in that way).

TCU is on the other, smaller, side of the metroplex but has had a lot more success, without turning into a power conference ratings juggernaut.
Whether people watch or not, having SMU in the conference automatically pulls in about $2.7 million per month into the ACC Network.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
He is a Carolina grad that lives in Raleigh and covers UNC and Duke. I would pretty much expect this opinion.
I don’t have access past their paywall, but is it opinion, or media pushback initiated from more central ACC sources to counter Clemson/FSU-sourced rumors about the ACC giving in on things soon? That could also be expected.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Did y’all forget SMU in the 80’s? They sold out and had a fanbase. If you win and have some stud players the eyeballs will come. Everyone loves a winner.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He is a Carolina grad that lives in Raleigh and covers UNC and Duke. I would pretty much expect this opinion.
If you feel it is a good deal, please let me know what the advantage to the rest of the ACC is. FSU and Clemson get more money, while the rest of the ACC doesn't? FSU and Clemson have a guaranteed departure in 2030? The lawsuits could easily take that long for a departure, even if they win. What is the positive side for the rest of the conference?

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Per source, don’t be shocked if GT and Tulane end up back in the SEC.

I didn’t believe them, but they claimed to have some inside knowledge.

?????

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
3. The school presidents recognize the ACC is a better conference with Clemson and FSU.

I'm not advocating giving FSU/Clemson dumb type of concessions, but there might be something that could be enticing to those schools that wouldn't set a bad precedent for all of the other schools. I have no idea what that would be, but most on this board aren't even willing to discuss possibilities.

I think it was only recently the ACC decided to offer performance based bonuses. There might be other things that are reasonable that we aren't privy to.
Why? You don’t need to. They’re tethered to the ACC and all the belly-aching isn’t going to change that.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Why? You don’t need to. They’re tethered to the ACC and all the belly-aching isn’t going to change that.
I will answer the question @Richard7125 asks for you. The ACC could tell FSU and Clemson they wish they would drop the lawsuit now, but there will be no reduction in the exit fee nor any offer to allow either school to buy back its media rights. What the ACC will offer is a promise to not sue for recovery of its attorney fees and court costs. But, only if both schools accept defeat in court with prejudice. And, very soon.