Conference Realignment

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting article by ESPN's David Hale concerning the origin and evolution of the Grant of Rights. David begins with the 1984 Supreme Court ruling that each School owns their media rights, not the NCAA. He relates how there was chaos with each school trying to make individual deals with media outlets and the B1G was the first conference to create an "Assignment of Rights".

Interesting quote by an administrator of another conference who said, "The ACC sold its soul for a Television Network".

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting article. We need to stay in touch with the BIG. Although we aren't mentioned, We are more likely a tarhet of BIG than many of the others listed. I'm sure Batt is active in this regard. Adding ND would solidify the ACC, and the ACC should offer them whatever it takes, since that is really their only hope of surviving this madness.

Agree and I hope President Cabrera stays on good terms with those B1G presidents during their policy and strategy meetings. I still believe GT and Miami will be the targets of the B1G if the ACC implodes. AAU membership, B1G Alums in ATL, Media market, plus the most fertile recruiting areas in the South will prevail.

If the SEC and B1G agree to a Football Challenge Game every year similar to the ACC-SEC Basketball challenge, the B1G will have 10 established games every year. Notre Dame's scheduling options will continue to be diminished. Hopefully, the ACC would be their most likely landing place if the ACC holds together.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Agree and I hope President Cabrera stays on good terms with those B1G presidents during their policy and strategy meetings. I still believe GT and Miami will be the targets of the B1G if the ACC implodes. AAU membership, B1G Alums in ATL, Media market, plus the most fertile recruiting areas in the South will prevail.

If the SEC and B1G agree to a Football Challenge Game every year similar to the ACC-SEC Basketball challenge, the B1G will have 10 established games every year. Notre Dame's scheduling options will continue to be diminished. Hopefully, the ACC would be their most likely landing place if the ACC holds together.
When I read this, I think back to the “alliance” the ACC/B12/P12 made after UTA and OU announced their move to to the SECheat to collaborate to create more inventory. To my knowledge, nothing ever happened. Such a challenge could have been done in short order, and may have saved the P12. Though, it appears that the USC/UCLA and UW/UO deals were already in the works.
This could still be done with the B12 and create some really good games, but you hear nothing of it. SMH.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When I read this, I think back to the “alliance” the ACC/B12/P12 made after UTA and OU announced their move to to the SECheat to collaborate to create more inventory. To my knowledge, nothing ever happened. Such a challenge could have been done in short order, and may have saved the P12. Though, it appears that the USC/UCLA and UW/UO deals were already in the works.
This could still be done with the B12 and create some really good games, but you hear nothing of it. SMH.
But too many college prssidents spoil the soup.

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
The more and more I think about it, college football and college sports in general are complete non-sense these days. We have college football as the focus with no players union, wild west NIL and transfer portal, no central figure for the sport, no one focusing on what the fans care about, and the academic side of college completely brushed to the side. As well, power hungry conference commissioners that don't appear to talk to one another.

I honestly still question where all this is heading in the future. Does anyone else feel this way?

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Agree. If this deal with the B1G and SEC actually comes to fruition, both the SEC and B1G would have 10 committed games. The B1G is pushing the SEC to go to 9 conference games like the B1G currently has in order to be on equal footing before adding the cross-conference B1G-SEC game.

We could possibly lose the UGA game if this happens. UGA will not want to play 9 SEC teams plus one B1G team plus GT for the 11th Power 4 game. I know Sankey seemed to be in favor of staying at 8 SEC games in order to preserve the four in state ACC-SEC rivalry games, but POWER and MONEY will eventually prevail.

To your point, the ACC needs to establish some type of relationship with the Big 12 in order to have an adequate inventory of games and to maintain some influence in the future of college football including the CFP.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We could possibly lose the UGA game if this happens. UGA will not want to play 9 SEC teams plus one B1G team plus GT for the 11th Power 4 game. I know Sankey seemed to be in favor of staying at 8 SEC games in order to preserve the four in state ACC-SEC rivalry games, but POWER and MONEY will eventually prevail.
Reportedly, the SEC did not add a 9th conference game because ESPN told them they would not pay additional money for the 9th game. The SEC tried to squeeze more money out of ESPN for having an additional conference game. It was about money. Money is already prevailing.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Reportedly, the SEC did not add a 9th conference game because ESPN told them they would not pay additional money for the 9th game. The SEC tried to squeeze more money out of ESPN for having an additional conference game. It was about money. Money is already prevailing.
Yup. It's all money ball now... and it's only going to get worse. I cannot for the life of me understand why Tech alumni want to wade into that at the most intense level.

Can we at some point just get back to college football and leave the bush-league pros to their own devices?

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

You may be totally correct about the extra money. However, most of the articles I have read concerning the matter use terms like the article below, "Presumably" and "Possibly" because of the money.

Note in the article below, Sankey, when asked about the extra money said: "Money Follows, it does not lead". I believe if he had the votes to add a game, he could ask for the extra money. According to the article, the SEC had to consider that an 8-game schedule makes it easier to get into the CFP. I found it interesting that UGA was one of the schools voting yes for 9 games (According to the article).

Plus, I would ask why the SEC is even discussing an inter-conference game with the B1G in Nashville next week if there was not an expectation of more money. Perhaps, it is just all about CONTROL of the CFP.

Again, that's just a humble opinion. You may be totally correct that ESPN refuses to pay!

Last edited:

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Yup. It's all money ball now... and it's only going to get worse. I cannot for the life of me understand why Tech alumni want to wade into that at the most intense level.

Can we at some point just get back to college football and leave the bush-league pros to their own devices?
Nope

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
The more and more I think about it, college football and college sports in general are complete non-sense these days. We have college football as the focus with no players union, wild west NIL and transfer portal, no central figure for the sport, no one focusing on what the fans care about, and the academic side of college completely brushed to the side. As well, power hungry conference commissioners that don't appear to talk to one another.

I honestly still question where all this is heading in the future. Does anyone else feel this way?

I definitely feel like you do. We have moved so far past the collegiate model that it is unrecognizable.

You might like the attached CBS article concerning the second negotiated House vs. NCAA agreement which has been submitted to the judge. The first submission was rejected by the Judge. She was apparently concerned about the wording of the agreement concerning the NCAA's request for an independent oversite board (Clearing House) to approve NIL deals with athletes. The goal of the NCAA was to eliminate "pay for play" on NIL deals. The NCAA wanted the athletes to actually do something to earn the money on their NIL deals, like a TV advertisement for Pepsi. If I understand correctly, the current NIL deals are just Donor Collectives raising money and paying the athletes from the collective for their play. The agreement language has been changed and some exceptions from oversight added for Shoe and Apparel companies. The article best describes the situation much better than I can.

I assume everyone knows there will be two distinct sources of revenue for the athletes. They will receive direct pay to play from the universities through the direct revenue sharing agreement plus the NIL possibilities. Per the agreement, the max revenue sharing amount is 23 million per school to be allocated to all athletes, not just football plus each athlete can make their own NIL deal. See below.

I failed to say that there is also the matter of $2.8 Billion that the universities have to supply for back payments to athletes, in addition to above. This will cover the previous 5 years.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I definitely feel like you do. We have moved so far past the collegiate model that it is unrecognizable.

You might like the attached CBS article concerning the second negotiated House vs. NCAA agreement which has been submitted to the judge. The first submission was rejected by the Judge. She was apparently concerned about the wording of the agreement concerning the NCAA's request for an independent oversite board (Clearing House) to approve NIL deals with athletes. The goal of the NCAA was to eliminate "pay for play" on NIL deals. The NCAA wanted the athletes to actually do something to earn the money on their NIL deals, like a TV advertisement for Pepsi. If I understand correctly, the current NIL deals are just Donor Collectives raising money and paying the athletes from the collective for their play. The agreement language has been changed and some exceptions from oversight added for Shoe and Apparel companies. The article best describes the situation much better than I can.

I assume everyone knows there will be two distinct sources of revenue for the athletes. They will receive direct pay to play from the universities through the direct revenue sharing agreement plus the NIL possibilities. Per the agreement, the max revenue sharing amount is 23 million per school to be allocated to all athletes, not just football plus each athlete can make their own NIL deal. See below.

I failed to say that there is also the matter of $2.8 Billion that the universities have to supply for back payments to athletes, in addition to above. This will cover the previous 5 years.

I have loved college football my whole life, but I’m now clinging to the last threads. Whenever those go, I’m done. All this is pushing me there fairly quickly.