Conference Realignment

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
What is the motivation for Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan St, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers, and Wisconsin to vote for the acceptance of FSU or Clemson as B1G members? Neither are AAU members. Both are teams likely to add losses to the record of these teams. Both are schools that would willingly take money from the pocket of schools that don't draw the audience they believe they draw, and both are likely to make the audience smaller for the games or other B1G schools. The bottom line is that I don't think the B1g member schools want FSU or Clemson.
The bottom line is that I don't think ENOUGH of the B1g member schools want FSU or Clemson

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t seen the ACC Conference governing documents, but maybe some of you have. I am curious whether there would be any adverse consequences for any ACC member now, if the member entered into a purely executory agreement now with another conference to join that conference upon the occurrence of various contingencies in the future.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I haven’t seen the ACC Conference governing documents, but maybe some of you have. I am curious whether there would be any adverse consequences for any ACC member now, if the member entered into a purely executory agreement now with another conference to join that conference upon the occurrence of various contingencies in the future.
Why would the ACC member, or the hypothetical other conference, agree to a contract with totally unknowable conditions? It could be 2036 before the ACC member can leave the conference and the ACC might be preferable at that time. Or the ACC member might not be desirable in 2036. Or the ACC member might be enjoined from undermining the ACC in any way. There are a bunch of possible scenarios,, but this is VERY unlikely.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
What is the motivation for Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan St, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers, and Wisconsin to vote for the acceptance of FSU or Clemson as B1G members? Neither are AAU members. Both are teams likely to add losses to the record of these teams. Both are schools that would willingly take money from the pocket of schools that don't draw the audience they believe they draw, and both are likely to make the audience smaller for the games or other B1G schools. The bottom line is that I don't think the B1g member schools want FSU or Clemson.
Not to mention they're not very agreeable...

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
One of the most irreverent college bands is the Rice U Marching Owl Band (the MOB). This is what the MOB did at halftime at the Rice-UT game in Austin in 2011 after Texas A&M announced they were moving to the SEC. It's time they did it again.

The best line of the show: “We congratulate the SEC and the Big 12, as both conferences improve their average IQ.”
Rice Mob.JPG

On a side note, one year Rice was playing A&M. The MOB formed a fire hydrant on the field and played "Where Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone" (a scatological reference) and goosed stepped Nazi style while playing the Aggie War Song. After the game, the Aggies formed a mob outside Rice's stadium, trapping the Owl band inside for hours until police dispersed some of the crowd and allowed the band to exit, transported by food service trucks.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Why would the ACC member, or the hypothetical other conference, agree to a contract with totally unknowable conditions? It could be 2036 before the ACC member can leave the conference and the ACC might be preferable at that time. Or the ACC member might not be desirable in 2036. Or the ACC member might be enjoined from undermining the ACC in any way. There are a bunch of possible scenarios,, but this is VERY unlikely.
I agree that it is unlikely, but if the parties were willing, certainly the future terms, contingencies and metrics could define whether the agreement would become effective or progress to the next phase, much like a Letter of Intent.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There is no motivation to add clemson or fsu to the sec or b1g unless they bring in more tv revenue than currently contracted. In fact they are better off keeping them from equitable income to keep them financially hamstrung on a nationally competitive basis.