Conference Realignment

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Texas currently leads the series 76–37–5 ( UT has won 65%). In the 2000’s, UT has won 9 of the last 12 games they played. The UGA/GT series sits at 71-41-5 (UGA - 60%). Yes, in the last 12 games GT has won only 2, but 2 of the losses were in OT, 2 more were 1-score games,and 2 of the losses were under TFG (and you could argue a 3rd due to the residual effect of TFG in 2022).
They have not played in the 12 seasons A$M has been in the SEC. A&M has taken advantage of being in the SEC as they now recruit on par or above Texas. Texas joining the SEC will be financially beneficial for Texas but on field success will be more difficult playing in the SEC vs the Old Big 12. Texas struggled to find a good coach and it showed for years. A&M is struggling now. If Elko is the guy they will be absolute peers to Texas. They are both top tier revenue schools.

A&M wanting to go to the B1G is laughable at best.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
They have not played in the 12 seasons A$M has been in the SEC. A&M has taken advantage of being in the SEC as they now recruit on par or above Texas. Texas joining the SEC will be financially beneficial for Texas but on field success will be more difficult playing in the SEC vs the Old Big 12. Texas struggled to find a good coach and it showed for years. A&M is struggling now. If Elko is the guy they will be absolute peers to Texas. They are both top tier revenue schools.

A&M wanting to go to the B1G is laughable at best.
1. Where did I say anything's about A&M wanting to go to B1G?
2. Where did I mention anything about finances?
3. I was replying to your post about UT/A&M being a rivalry where as uga/GT isn’t.
4. What does anything in your post have to do with what I posted?

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
UT doesn’t bother A&M
lolwut

Aggies have as much of a little brother syndrome as anyone, and now they aren’t even in a “better”” league to try to feel smug about that to make up for the lack of success on the field.

They’re absolutely a better cultural fit for the SEC than the Big 10, though. Texas is the academically snobbier school.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
lolwut

Aggies have as much of a little brother syndrome as anyone, and now they aren’t even in a “better”” league to try to feel smug about that to make up for the lack of success on the field.

They’re absolutely a better cultural fit for the SEC than the Big 10, though. Texas is the academically snobbier school.
Aggies clearly don’t like Texas at all. Twelve years in the SEC has very much changed their perception. Like most people, they viewed the SEC as a far superior conference than the Big 12. That Ut and OU left the Big 12 for the SEC showed the Aggie fans were correct.

Now that they are back in the same conference the rivalry will heat up again. It’s been in the ice box for over a decade.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I am posting the attached just for The Swarm's interest. I assume Notre Dame would not join this consortium unless there are some financial advantage. I am interested if some of our members understand this organization and if there are financial benefits to ND.

Last edited:

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I am posting the attached just for The Swarm's interest. I assume Notre Dame would not join this consortium unless there are some financial advantage. I am interested if some of our members understand this organization and if there are financial benefits to ND.

Thanks for sharing. Comcast and ND are best buds - wouldn't really look more into it than that.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Texas currently leads the series 76–37–5 ( UT has won 65%). In the 2000’s, UT has won 9 of the last 12 games they played. The UGA/GT series sits at 71-41-5 (UGA - 60%). Yes, in the last 12 games GT has won only 2, but 2 of the losses were in OT, 2 more were 1-score games,and 2 of the losses were under TFG (and you could argue a 3rd due to the residual effect of TFG in 2022).
Root4GT isn’t just talking about the competitiveness of the rivalry, it’s the hatred. When Key says “I hate Georgia” he means it. My dad played baseball at A&M in the 60’s, and he hates Texas. He couldn’t even watch the A&M/tu football games.

Notice I use “tu”. That’s from growing up, they aren’t the University of Texas, they are Texas university. That’s what they call them in the War Hymn, which they sing multiple times every football game.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Notice I use “tu”. That’s from growing up, they aren’t the University of Texas, they are Texas university. That’s what they call them in the War Hymn, which they sing multiple times every football game.
I do the same thing for our agricultural school to the East, I call them "gu". It's funny to watch the expression on faces when I do that.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Looks like the ACC has agreed to give the 6 ESPN documents to FSU but not for public disclosure. I assume Clemson will follow suit on their court play. Will be very interesting to see what is really in those documents in terms of giving schools and out from GOR.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story...s-following-new-leon-court-order/74328387007/
So, what really is gained by this ruling?
As far as I can tell, it just gives FSU and their lawyers easier access to the documents. They already had access, they just had to fly their team of lawyers and representatives to Charlotte to get it. There is no new information here and I fail to see why it’s terribly noteworthy.

I would assume that if there is an agreement to keep it private and destroy within 60 days (per the article), there is also an agreement (or understanding) that disclosure of the information would come with pretty stiff penalty. In short, We (general public) won’t learn a thing from this ruling / disclosure.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
As far as I can tell, it just gives FSU and their lawyers easier access to the documents. They already had access, they just had to fly their team of lawyers and representatives to Charlotte to get it. There is no new information here and I fail to see why it’s terribly noteworthy.

I would assume that if there is an agreement to keep it private and destroy within 60 days (per the article), there is also an agreement (or understanding) that disclosure of the information would come with pretty stiff penalty. In short, We (general public) won’t learn a thing from this ruling / disclosure.
I just wish it wouldn't go on and on and on... Wish it would reach some final determination, so we can join the BIG if the ACC falls apart.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just wish it wouldn't go on and on and on... Wish it would reach some final determination, so we can join the BIG if the ACC falls apart.
I expect ESPN to appeal the order unless it specifically exempts the documents from the Florida Sunshine Law.

We're almost seven months into these lawsuits and the preliminary issues are nowhere close to resolution. Nothing about the merits have been addressed. And may not be this year. Everything that delays a final decision benefits the ACC.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I expect ESPN to appeal the order unless it specifically exempts the documents from the Florida Sunshine Law.

We're almost seven months into these lawsuits and the preliminary issues are nowhere close to resolution. Nothing about the merits have been addressed. And may not be this year. Everything that delays a final decision benefits the ACC.
Very true… on all counts.

The article does state that the documents will be kept secret and destroyed upon completion of the case. Presumably, they’ve reached some agreement that would shield them from Sunshine Laws as well.

Then again, the article also states that FSU doesn’t want to pay the “half billion dollar exit fee,” and that this ruling is a big win for FSU because their attorneys stated repeatedly in court that they really really really wanted these documents.

Take it for what it’s worth…

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Very true… on all counts.

The article does state that the documents will be kept secret and destroyed upon completion of the case. Presumably, they’ve reached some agreement that would shield them from Sunshine Laws as well.

Then again, the article also states that FSU doesn’t want to pay the “half billion dollar exit fee,” and that this ruling is a big win for FSU because their attorneys stated repeatedly in court that they really really really wanted these documents.

Take it for what it’s worth…
When Clemson signed the protective order, they got the documents without the ill feelings and threatening AG. FSU and the Florida AG made it harder.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

The gain is that they don't have to fly a large legal team to the ACC offices for brief viewing of the documents where they can't make copies, take notes or take pictures. They have way more freedom to analyze the documents for their case. Its an interim order that expires after 60 days. Really it's just giving more time to get a full protective order in place. From what I have read, the ACC wasn't really going to be able to stop this, nor would they have any great desire to try. It's not really a win for either side more than a formality.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow

This is why I think this thing drags out for a few more years.

And FWIW, there is no way SEC or B1G invites a school that is embroiled in such a lawsuit where their media rights possession is in question.

So FSU can leave, true. But those fans thinking they would immediately have an invite to B1G are sadly mistaken. Won't happen because of the unresolved baggage.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is why I think this thing drags out for a few more years.

And FWIW, there is no way SEC or B1G invites a school that is embroiled in such a lawsuit where their media rights possession is in question.

So FSU can leave, true. But those fans thinking they would immediately have an invite to B1G are sadly mistaken. Won't happen because of the unresolved baggage.
This squabbling makes ESPN look incompetent at deal making. Fsu and clemson are paid the same as WF and BC till 2036 with no resets? Please!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This squabbling makes ESPN look incompetent at deal making. Fsu and clemson are paid the same as WF and BC till 2036 with no resets? Please!
How the ACC distributes media money has nothing to do with the ESPN contract. ESPN did not negotiate equal payouts to individual conference members. ESPN negotiated a media contract with the copyright holder, the ACC. The ACC determines how to distribute the money.