Collins start recruiting Justin Fields.....

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Dream Scenario...
Fields announces decision to transfer to GT, but the next day news breaks that he can’t qualify academically. (Academics Deniers in disbelief!). Fields then transfers to Tennessee where he single-handedly beats the mutts to block them from the SECCG three straight years. (Alabama also works since they’re scheduled in 2020).

Alternative bonus fantasy: Tennessee hires CPJ in 2021 and they win the SEC en route to the National Championship

Last edited:

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Transferring here would not be an irrational decision for him. There is more uncertainty given the coaching change than other options, but that's only one negative consideration. I don't care if he's motivated for revenge against the Dawgs leading to choosing us. If he also represents himself well on and off the field, he'll get a change to have his cake and eat it too. If the account told about recruiting promises made by Smart being violated is true, I would be happy to help him undo that by sticking it to him on the field. We've heard a lot of shady things out of Kirby land (e.g. goggles scholarship). I don't find him to have any integrity, and his ability to get away with that depends on them sustaining winning. Which he's done quite well with so far.

I hope to do differently. In this regard, CPJ was the polar opposite. For CGC, well, he seems to advertise both building hype and relationships/accountability. I hope he can follow through. That would make me very proud. Someone who is not afraid to advertise integrity as a selling point and practices what they preach.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not to derail the topic but uga has a freshman TE named Luke Ford that is transferring as well. I think it's time for Collins to take a trip to the cesspool.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Dream Scenario...
Fields announces decision to transfer to GT, but the next day news breaks that he can’t qualify academically. (Academics Deniers in disbelief!). Fields then transfers to Tennessee where he single-handedly beats the mutts to block them from the SECCG three straight years. (Alabama also works since they’re scheduled in 2020).

Alternative bonus fantasy: Tennessee hires CPJ in 2021 and they win the SEC en route to the National Championship
You're going to give Mike some special dreams with this.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
No, Baylor’s old coach didn’t hamstring the new guy with a bunch of players who don’t fit, he just hamstrung him with a massive team rape scandal that ended up taking down the president of the school in addition to the entire football staff (and is not even over...they’re still investigating). Yet you apparently prefer dealing with that to a non-ideal roster. What the hell is wrong with you?
Baylor had a bad first year because Rhule played a lot of true freshmen. Not that he had a lot of options, because a lot of players transferred out of that train wreck before the new coach was in place.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Baylor had a bad first year because Rhule played a lot of true freshmen. Not that he had a lot of options, because a lot of players transferred out of that train wreck before the new coach was in place.
Amazing how many are blind to the fact that CPJ inherited players recruited for a different system, yet he won with em! And now everybody is onboard with CGC needing 2-3 years to rebuild!? Go figure. Look, I'm glad Collins is here and sad to see Johnson go, but the zero sum game being played here is madness. People who need to tear down CPJ to make themselves feel better about CGC, need to readdress how confident they really are in CGC. Coach Collins is 15-10 as a 2 year HC inheriting a previous turnaround success at Temple. He is bringing a needed dose of enthusiasm, energy, and excitement to GT football AND has many advantages that CPJ never had. Whether he converts such into Ws, we will know come late November 2020, but I seriously doubt ANYBODY needs or wishes to tear him down between now and then. So, why are posters taking stabs at both of em?

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Amazing how many are blind to the fact that CPJ inherited players recruited for a different system, yet he won with em! And now everybody is onboard with CGC needing 2-3 years to rebuild!? Go figure. Look, I'm glad Collins is here and sad to see Johnson go, but the zero sum game being played here is madness. People who need to tear down CPJ to make themselves feel better about CGC, need to readdress how confident they really are in CGC. Coach Collins is 15-10 as a 2 year HC inheriting a previous turnaround success at Temple. He is bringing a needed dose of enthusiasm, energy, and excitement to GT football AND has many advantages that CPJ never had. Whether he converts such into Ws, we will know come late November 2020, but I seriously doubt ANYBODY needs or wishes to tear him down between now and then. So, why are posters taking stabs at both of em?

Not undermining CPJ's success, but it's easier to plug Nesbitt, DT, Dwyer and the crew into the spread option than the group we currently have into a more traditional offense. Not the same.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Not undermining CPJ's success, but it's easier to plug Nesbitt, DT, Dwyer and the crew into the spread option than the group we currently have into a more traditional offense. Not the same.
I would take JG, LJ, or Yates in a passing offense over Nesbitt. I LOVED JN in CPJ's offense, but with the QB GT had coming in the 2008 class, I doubt he would have been the starter for long as QB in the CCG offense.

Benson is NOT Dwyer, but I don't see why we are concerned with either him or Mason as a traditional RB.

WR may hurt, it's impossible to really say because everything about our passing concepts is going to change. DT was a total boss though.

CGC has plenty of talent and a current 7-8 win team. He should be fine.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
I would take JG, LJ, or Yates in a passing offense over Nesbitt. I LOVED JN in CPJ's offense, but with the QB GT had coming in the 2008 class, I doubt he would have been the starter for long as QB in the CCG offense.

Benson is NOT Dwyer, but I don't see why we are concerned with either him or Mason as a traditional RB.

WR may hurt, it's impossible to really say because everything about our passing concepts is going to change. DT was a total boss though.

CGC has plenty of talent and a current 7-8 win team. He should be fine.

QB - We haven't seen Graham, LJ, or Yates throw a single pass as a division I QB... I tend to agree with you, but I have to wait to see. Nesbitt was a spread QB in high school who did #s. While he wasn't the most accurate, he had a cannon and who knows how he'd have developed.

RB - I'm not as concerned here, but Dwyer was a "home run hitter" as well as a power back--something we never enjoyed again during the rest of CPJ's tenure. Benson and company will do fine, but we don't a Dwyer, or a veteran transfer like Anthony Allen to step in for the '19 season.

WR - We have no one even remotely close to Demaryius Thomas. We will be ok, but we are relatively weak here no matter the offense.

DEFENSE - Johnson inherited Derrick Morgan, Darryl Richard, and Michael Johnson on the DL... Burnett in the secondary... CGC is getting nothing remotely close to this type of talent on D.

Overall... yes we should be okay and I will have moderate expectations. However, we shouldn't expect CGC to plug and chug as seamlessly as CPJ was able to. His cupboard is bare compared to that '08 squad.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
But he did inherit players that he would’ve wanted but wouldn’t have got because of his offense.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
QB - We haven't seen Graham, LJ, or Yates throw a single pass as a division I QB... I tend to agree with you, but I have to wait to see. Nesbitt was a spread QB in high school who did #s. While he wasn't the most accurate, he had a cannon and who knows how he'd have developed.

RB - I'm not as concerned here, but Dwyer was a "home run hitter" as well as a power back--something we never enjoyed again during the rest of CPJ's tenure. Benson and company will do fine, but we don't a Dwyer, or a veteran transfer like Anthony Allen to step in for the '19 season.

WR - We have no one even remotely close to Demaryius Thomas. We will be ok, but we are relatively weak here no matter the offense.

DEFENSE - Johnson inherited Derrick Morgan, Darryl Richard, and Michael Johnson on the DL... Burnett in the secondary... CGC is getting nothing remotely close to this type of talent on D.

Overall... yes we should be okay and I will have moderate expectations. However, we shouldn't expect CGC to plug and chug as seamlessly as CPJ was able to. His cupboard is bare compared to that '08 squad.
We'll definitely see in September (y)
You raise great points. I feel like the top was higher at that time, but I feel like the foundation is stronger now.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Man, you better duck. You're about to kick up some dust in here;)