Collins start recruiting Justin Fields.....

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
He can probably claim that UGA was a hostile environment after that Baseball player started dropping the N-word when he went into a game this past season, he's probably thinking that UGA and the NCAA will want to avoid embarrassment by revisiting that if they deny him immediate eligibility
wow, never thought of that...
But, it is plausible

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would take JG, LJ, or Yates in a passing offense over Nesbitt. I LOVED JN in CPJ's offense, but with the QB GT had coming in the 2008 class, I doubt he would have been the starter for long as QB in the CCG offense.

IMO, Nesbitt would have went to defense and played Safety eventually. They said he was actually a better prospect at safety than QB (and that's saying something since he was a 4 star QB)...and it showed as he made the Bills roster there even though he never played a snap there in college.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
IMO, Nesbitt would have went to defense and played Safety eventually. They said he was actually a better prospect at safety than QB (and that's saying something since he was a 4 star QB)...and it showed as he made the Bills roster there even though he never played a snap there in college.
This is what I assume would have happened as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
QB - We haven't seen Graham, LJ, or Yates throw a single pass as a division I QB... I tend to agree with you, but I have to wait to see. Nesbitt was a spread QB in high school who did #s. While he wasn't the most accurate, he had a cannon and who knows how he'd have developed.

RB - I'm not as concerned here, but Dwyer was a "home run hitter" as well as a power back--something we never enjoyed again during the rest of CPJ's tenure. Benson and company will do fine, but we don't a Dwyer, or a veteran transfer like Anthony Allen to step in for the '19 season.

WR - We have no one even remotely close to Demaryius Thomas. We will be ok, but we are relatively weak here no matter the offense.

DEFENSE - Johnson inherited Derrick Morgan, Darryl Richard, and Michael Johnson on the DL... Burnett in the secondary... CGC is getting nothing remotely close to this type of talent on D.

Overall... yes we should be okay and I will have moderate expectations. However, we shouldn't expect CGC to plug and chug as seamlessly as CPJ was able to. His cupboard is bare compared to that '08 squad.

I think some of this is on the mark mostly. I think the current team has a lot more depth overall than what CPJ inherited. Especially on the Oline.

There are a slew of very promising young players on D that could prove as good or even better than ‘08. Juanyeh Thomas, Carpenter, BJS, Tre, Quez, Owens, Adams, Kerr, Oliver.

The cupboard is not at all bare on D. A lot of talented and athletic young players. Pass rush remains a huge concern.

It will be very fun to see how CGC assembles these guys into a unit.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So all the talking head idiots on 92.9 seem to think Field will only go to another factory- Ohio St, OK, etc, they also listed off FL, AU, LSU, and A&M seemingly oblivious of the sec transfer rules.
Is that really still the case?
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...hools-will-no-longer-ability-block-transfers/

I think Fields could save Malzahn's career. Not sure if Auburn bag men have it in them to buy another title though.
PSU seems like a pretty logical choice since it was his first pick and PSU is graduating their QB.
UF seems like an interesting place for him to wind up.
GT would be cool, but I won't hold my breath.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Is that really still the case?
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...hools-will-no-longer-ability-block-transfers/

I think Fields could save Malzahn's career. Not sure if Auburn bag men have it in them to buy another title though.
PSU seems like a pretty logical choice since it was his first pick and PSU is graduating their QB.
UF seems like an interesting place for him to wind up.
GT would be cool, but I won't hold my breath.

Had not thought about this, Ibea, but yes, the bagmen will be happy to pay, if they really believe Fields is "CAM-like". Someone would just have use the correct electronic gambling machine.

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope I am wrong. I really do, I just don't see him landing here as any sort of possibility. The kid could go to any P5 program he wants to. Why would he pick a team that hasn't cracked the top 25 in two years? I do get the Collins era hype but I really think it's going to be a few years of seeing his results on the field before we are considered a top contender for any transfers. The only thing we have going is ATL being home to Fields. But if the rumors of his parents being controlling are true, they aren't worried about him staying at home (if they were, he'd have never committed to Penn State). They want this kid to be the best in the nation and for him to go to the NFL. That means surrounding him with top talent on a team that is in the top ten year in and year out. I hope with CGC that this narrative applies to GT in the future but let's face it... currently that is not us. It sucks to say, though it is the truth.