Collins start recruiting Justin Fields.....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Justin Fields dad lives in my friends subdivision. It will be made final he's transferring after the bowl game and Tech is indeed on the list. Wants to stick it to the Dawgs

I'd love to have the kid, but hope he's coming to GT for better reasons than "sticking it to the Dawgs". GT ain't the place to come to if that's your only motivation....he's gonna learn REAL quick that sticking it to the Dawgs should have been like 125th on his list for coming here.

On another note, I believe CPJ and GT was one of his first offers when he was in HS.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I'd love to have the kid, but hope he's coming to GT for better reasons than "sticking it to the Dawgs". GT ain't the place to come to if that's your only motivation....he's gonna learn REAL quick that sticking it to the Dawgs should have been like 125th on his list for coming here.

On another note, I believe CPJ and GT was one of his first offers when he was in HS.

Um there is precedence for transferring to tech to stick it to uga.

John Dewberry did just that.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
AJC says he’s applying for an immediate eligibility waiver. I’m not sure on what grounds or even how that could possibly be granted...

He’s talented for sure. If he does end up here I’m sure he’d play right away, but what if he gets beat out? Does this scenario repeat itself? These sort of attitudes on a team can affect chemistry. I guess it’s a good problem to have though if a guy that talented isn’t the best.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He’s talented for sure. If he does end up here I’m sure he’d play right away, but what if he gets beat out? Does this scenario repeat itself? These sort of attitudes on a team can affect chemistry. I guess it’s a good problem to have though if a guy that talented isn’t the best.

I am not impressed with these type of guys (JF and the Clemson kid) who decide to "take their talents" elsewhere...although technically I understand their motives. Seeking the path of least resistance is generally not a wise course of action over the long term. I was really happy for Jalen Hurts in the SEC C'ship game. He stuck with his team and it paid dividends, for him and the team.

Deleted member 2897

Then make him sit on the bench the whole year and take meaningless snaps that cost a year of eligibility. When his dad complains tell him "this is what the factories are doing!"

Yup, the difference between Dabo and "Smart" was on full display. "Smart" used Fields sparingly, but enough to use a year of eligibility so that he would lose at least this year, then possibly lose a second year if the NCAA doesn't grant a waiver. That's enough of a penalty that "Smart" figured Fields would be forced to stay so "Smart" could have that extra depth.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yup, the difference between Dabo and "Smart" was on full display. "Smart" used Fields sparingly, but enough to use a year of eligibility so that he would lose at least this year, then possibly lose a second year if the NCAA doesn't grant a waiver. That's enough of a penalty that "Smart" figured Fields would be forced to stay so "Smart" could have that extra depth.

or perhaps the kid was good enough to get some reps? our #2 got plenty of reps this year even when the #1 wasn't hurt. Occam's razor is usually correct or applicable in most situations.

AJC says he’s applying for an immediate eligibility waiver. I’m not sure on what grounds or even how that could possibly be granted...

He can probably claim that UGA was a hostile environment after that Baseball player started dropping the N-word when he went into a game this past season, he's probably thinking that UGA and the NCAA will want to avoid embarrassment by revisiting that if they deny him immediate eligibility

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow

It’s speculated it’s from when the baseball player called him the n word.

I am not impressed with these type of guys (JF and the Clemson kid) who decide to "take their talents" elsewhere...although technically I understand their motives. Seeking the path of least resistance is generally not a wise course of action over the long term. I was really happy for Jalen Hurts in the SEC C'ship game. He stuck with his team and it paid dividends, for him and the team.

When JJ Green came to GT was he seeking the path of least resistance?

So if Fields comes to GT why would he be labeled that way?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When JJ Green came to GT was he seeking the path of least resistance?

So if Fields comes to GT why would he be labeled that way?

I would see it as leaving to avoid competition, same as what the Clemson guy did. Now, if he says he is doing it to get a better engineering education, I would consider that a valid reason to change schools. But, as they say, this is just my opinion.

Deleted member 2897

or perhaps the kid was good enough to get some reps? our #2 got plenty of reps this year even when the #1 wasn't hurt. Occam's razor is usually correct or applicable in most situations.

Did you see his playing time? He completed 2 or fewer passes in 8 games. He ran the ball 3 or fewer times in 7 games. In 6 games he either didn't complete a pass or only completed 1. He had about 300 yards passing and about 200 yards rushing in the entire year. The only games he really contributed in were UMass and Middle Tennessee State, (and a touch in Austin Peay) because they were blowouts so he had mop up duty.

In SEC play, he had 7 total passes completed for 88 yards and 23 rushes for 86 yards - the entire season. "Smart" only used him enough to burn his eligibility and put him at risk for burning another year if he transferred.

I would see it as leaving to avoid competition, same as what the Clemson guy did. Now, if he says he is doing it to get a better engineering education, I would consider that a valid reason to change schools. But, as they say, this is just my opinion.

What the heck does engineering education have to do with anything

News flash, there are folks in this world that have different interests than yours and mines, if this kid want to play in the NFL and then do sports broadcasting after his career is over then fine play QB at GT and major in LMC and then chase your broadcasting dreams

Geez, everything in this world ain't about GT's effin engineering degrees

Did you see his playing time? He completed 2 or fewer passes in 8 games. He ran the ball 3 or fewer times in 7 games. In 6 games he either didn't complete a pass or only completed 1. He had about 300 yards passing and about 200 yards rushing in the entire year. The only games he really contributed in were UMass and Middle Tennessee State, (and a touch in Austin Peay) because they were blowouts so he had mop up duty.

In SEC play, he had 7 total passes completed for 88 yards and 23 rushes for 86 yards - the entire season. "Smart" only used him enough to burn his eligibility and put him at risk for burning another year if he transferred.

I think what pissed him off was that he was used in a Kordel Stewart-slash type role and wasn't allowed to run the same offense that Fromm ran in the game action that he saw

When they both ran the same exact offense in the Spring game he was very close to Fromm, scary close IMO, and then when the season comes they have him run a buncha wildcat garbage in the games that he got in

I think the UGA Spring game is somewhere on YouTube, that's a better indicator of his talent vs. Fromm's

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Justin Fields dad lives in my friends subdivision. It will be made final he's transferring after the bowl game and Tech is indeed on the list. Wants to stick it to the Dawgs

That is some solid info you got there. From an unimpeachable source no doubt.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

From what I've heard, this is the problem. It's not that he's mad he didn't beat out Fromm for the starting job. It's that the coaches misused Fields in a way that was insulting to him and his family. Fromm was the guy who won the competition, fine. But they put Fields in games for ~one play when uGa was well ahead and burned his eligibility for no benefit to the team.

Also, Smart lied to him and his family when they were recruiting him in an egregious way. Everybody exaggerates and 'sells' when they're recruiting. But how they told Fields they would handle him and what they did with him are very different.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What the heck does engineering education have to do with anything

News flash, there are folks in this world that have different interests than yours and mines, if this kid want to play in the NFL and then do sports broadcasting after his career is over then fine play QB at GT and major in LMC and then chase your broadcasting dreams

Geez, everything in this world ain't about GT's effin engineering degrees

I am going to explain this in an easier way for you so that you can comprehend it. Let's assume that this kid's goal is to play QB in the NFL. How does playing here vs. at Uga help him do that? (see our resume for NFL QB's over history vs. theirs). So he may have to sit and only get to start for a year over there. Do you think NFL scouts can't find him? The league is full of second stringers from the likes of Bama, OSU. etc IF they are good enough, the league will find them. This looks like am emotional decision to me.

Now, let's look at engineering schools...we have one and so do they. Which one is recognized as a world wide leader and which one is just getting off the ground? So a kid transferring from Uga to GT would be recognized as making a rational decision in this case.

I remember @JacketFromUGA stating in another post that reading comprehension was not a strong suit for most of us engineering types. I believe that he nailed that call.