Coastal Chaos

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Guys Pitt has to lose all of their remaining games for us to get in over them, they have 1 conference loss and we have 3, they have the tie breaker on us head to head. If they win one of their remaining 3 we are out of the ACCCG.

They have Va Tech, Miami and Wake

If we lose one more we are out,

We have Miami and Virginia

They can beat wake. That is fine. they have to lose to Miami and Va Tech

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
We need Pitt to lose to Wake (in addition to VT and Miami) or UVA to lose to VT. We don't win a 3 or 4 way tiebreaker if Pitt and UVA are included. A 3 way tie between GT/ Pitt/VT or GT/VT/UVA goes to us. A 3-way tie with GT/Pitt/UVA, or a 4-way tie with GT/Pitt/VT/UVA goes to Pitt.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
It has nothing whatsoever to do with our administrators, whoever they are. It's all about the Georgia BOR, and Tech cannot do anything without their approval, which they have never given.
Well, that may be true. But how hard are they pressing this issue? It seems to me that it would be really hard to defend the position of not giving approval if the BOR are pressured. Maybe it is a case of our administrators not really caring.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
We need Pitt to lose to Wake (in addition to VT and Miami) or UVA to lose to VT. We don't win a 3 or 4 way tiebreaker if Pitt and UVA are included. A 3 way tie between GT/ Pitt/VT or GT/VT/UVA goes to us. A 3-way tie with GT/Pitt/UVA, or a 4-way tie with GT/Pitt/VT/UVA goes to Pitt.
Again, not necessarily true. Pitt , with losses to UM and VT lose in tie breakers to GT in a 3 or 4 way tie.....a more likely scenario than them losing all three. In that case, Pitt would have a worse in division record and get eliminated before a head to head against Tech.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Well, that may be true. But how hard are they pressing this issue? It seems to me that it would be really hard to defend the position of not giving approval if the BOR are pressured. Maybe it is a case of our administrators not really caring.

Like most everything else in life, it’s about relationships. We don’t seem to do as good a job as others cultivating them. See non-response to waiver request versus other schools, see result of D Thomas situation versus what happens at other schools, see media relations, etc.

Deleted member 2897

Unfortunately I think Wake lost their QB for the rest of the season.

We might miss the ACCCG because CPJ called a fake punt on 4th and 8 from our own 25.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

or using the BOR as an excuse. Who really knows!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pitt is only going to lose one more max. They are better than VT. UVa would have likely beat Pitt till their injuries on D last Saturday. Too bad for them, but it's football. Mildenhall is going to resurrect that program.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
or using the BOR as an excuse. Who really knows!

You know, I always see folks looking at this issue from the bottom up. That the GT admin needs to go to their bosses at the BOR and beg to grow the institute.

But, I think if significant growth ever happens, it will be the BOR's bosses in the Capitol demanding Tech accept more GA students and increase enrollment. I've been a little surprised that this hasn't become a political issue in the State Legislature. The increasing share of out-of-state and international (up to ~45% IIRC) seems like a losing issue for the BOR to defend. Every year around acceptance time I hear about Georgia kids with ridiculously good applications who don't get in. Speaking for myself, I'd never get into Tech now. Most of this board probably the same. The solution to this, is growing the institute in a reasonable and sustainable way.

I'm not saying we start accepting 20,000 kids with 900 SAT and 2.5 GPA. But we've got GA kids with 4.0+ GPA, 1450 SAT, and 7 AP classes getting rejected. Guess where they end up? In the engineering program at UGA- which should't exist. Or out of state on an academic scholarship. A family friend got rejected from Tech (his 1st choice), but got an academic scholarship to UNC that made his tuition less than the in-state. That shouldn't happen, IMHO. Tech should be big enough to serve the qualified STEM students in our own state.

The big influential UGA boosters don't want this to happen because of football and can pressure the BOR to keep Tech small and niche. But even my UGA-grad friends want their kids to go to Tech if they can get in. My kids are pre-school age. But I'm already considering if I want to dial back my Tech support, so they don't get their hearts set on going there. "I'm going to make it so your (smart hardworking deserving) kid can get into Tech." Seems like a winning political policy for a state politician.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But I'm already considering if I want to dial back my Tech support, so they don't get their hearts set on going there. "I'm going to make it so your (smart hardworking deserving) kid can get into Tech." Seems like a winning political policy for a state politician.

my sons grew up as GT fans and attending games at BDS when we lived in state and had season tickets. We moved out of state when they were young teens. One got accepted but decided to go to a smaller school. One didn't get in although he dearly wanted to (he was not Tech material tbh). To this day, GT remains their favorite team despite not going to school there. The scriptures tell us that if you raise up a child properly, he might stray but he/she will NOT depart from the correct path as they grow old. Your scripture lesson for the day. ;)

Deleted member 2897

You know, I always see folks looking at this issue from the bottom up. That the GT admin needs to go to their bosses at the BOR and beg to grow the institute.

But, I think if significant growth ever happens, it will be the BOR's bosses in the Capitol demanding Tech accept more GA students and increase enrollment. I've been a little surprised that this hasn't become a political issue in the State Legislature. The increasing share of out-of-state and international (up to ~45% IIRC) seems like a losing issue for the BOR to defend. Every year around acceptance time I hear about Georgia kids with ridiculously good applications who don't get in. Speaking for myself, I'd never get into Tech now. Most of this board probably the same. The solution to this, is growing the institute in a reasonable and sustainable way.

I'm not saying we start accepting 20,000 kids with 900 SAT and 2.5 GPA. But we've got GA kids with 4.0+ GPA, 1450 SAT, and 7 AP classes getting rejected. Guess where they end up? In the engineering program at UGA- which should't exist. Or out of state on an academic scholarship. A family friend got rejected from Tech (his 1st choice), but got an academic scholarship to UNC that made his tuition less than the in-state. That shouldn't happen, IMHO. Tech should be big enough to serve the qualified STEM students in our own state.

The big influential UGA boosters don't want this to happen because of football and can pressure the BOR to keep Tech small and niche. But even my UGA-grad friends want their kids to go to Tech if they can get in. My kids are pre-school age. But I'm already considering if I want to dial back my Tech support, so they don't get their hearts set on going there. "I'm going to make it so your (smart hardworking deserving) kid can get into Tech." Seems like a winning political policy for a state politician.

I really like this post.

Here is a rhetorical question for us to think about. Would Georgia Tech be worse off if instead of having 15,000 undergrads with an average SAT of 1450 to have 18,000 undergrads with an average SAT of 1350 and being 65% in-state. Or 1375? Or 1300? Or 15,000 undergrads but a different mix? Or 17,000? (I'm not saying we even have to lower our standards, I'm just throwing that out for illustration.)

I couldn't have gotten in today either with my resume from years and years ago.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Could move to a Texas-like system where top 7% of any public school gets you into UT and then top 10% into A&M. If you’re outside those thresholds, you can still apply and some from the very competitive high schools do get in.

Of course, we’d need to make sure that Tech is the 7% school and thUGA the 10%.

Connor

Georgia Tech Fan
Could move to a Texas-like system where top 7% of any public school gets you into UT and then top 10% into A&M. If you’re outside those thresholds, you can still apply and some from the very competitive high schools do get in.

Of course, we’d need to make sure that Tech is the 7% school and thUGA the 10%.

Although no where close to 7-10%, GT does extend automatic acceptance to #1 and #2 at every (50+) Georgia School, and include wider programs for APS schools.

As great as another 3K students would be, I can't imagine where those students would go, or who would teach them. What is it, do we donate to the AA or for new faculty/classrooms? :)

I agree though, more students, especially ones from GA, can help create a wider fanbase.

Deleted member 2897

One positive of all this chaos is that we have 12 teams trending towards becoming bowl eligible (I think we'll get 10). There are only 4 teams in the entire conference below 0.500 and 2 of those 4 are Florida State and Wake Forest who are both 4-5.

Unfortunately for Florida State, their last 3 games are all against ranked opponents: Notre Dame, Boston College, and Florida. Hard to see 2 wins there.

Wake Forest I think just lost their starting QB for the season. They finish @NC State, vs Pitt, and @Duke. Hard to see 2 wins there when dinged up.

There are 6 ACC teams already bowl eligible. There are 3 more teams at 5-4. And Virginia Tech is at 4-4. VT is @Pitt, home against Miami, and home against Virginia. They are certainly capable of winning 2 of those.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not so sure.....if....GT wins out @5-3, Pitt loses to VT and WF but beats UM, VT beats Pitt and UM but loses to UVA. Duke loses to Clemson and beats Wake.
GT and Pitt would both be 2-1 and UVA and VT are 1-2 head to head (if I read it correctly) which means we lose out.
If it fell to head to head against the next best team......Duke, we still lose out.
I think we are looking at things a little differently but I could be wrong. However, this would be the only route for Pitt if there was a 3 or 4 way tie if I’m not mistaken. Point being, GT can still make it even if Pitt finishes at 5-3. Should be interesting.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not true. If Pitt loses to VT and UM and beats WF, and UVA beats VT (or VT loses to UM and beats UVA) we end up with a 3 or 4 way tie. In that event, it goes to head to head within the division. In that case....Pitt gets knocked out in the first round...then it goes head to head which GT wins against VT and UVA.
And this imo seems to be the most feasible scenario.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately I think Wake lost their QB for the rest of the season.

We might miss the ACCCG because CPJ called a fake punt on 4th and 8 from our own 25.
Very rarely does a game boil down to one play. You could likely find a dozen other plays that would have flipped the outcome of that game had one gone our way.