Coastal Chaos

Animal02

Banned
I think we are looking at things a little differently but I could be wrong. However, this would be the only route for Pitt if there was a 3 or 4 way tie if I’m not mistaken. Point being, GT can still make it even if Pitt finishes at 5-3. Should be interesting.
If Tech, UVA and Pitt, finish 5-3. Pitt gets in
Very rarely does a game boil down to one play. You could likely find a dozen other plays that would have flipped the outcome of that game had one gone our way.
That makes to much sense for this board :eek:

Deleted member 2897

Very rarely does a game boil down to one play. You could likely find a dozen other plays that would have flipped the outcome of that game had one gone our way.

Absolutely.

But with 13 minutes gone in the game, Pitt only up 7-0, and we're facing 4th and 7 from our own 26 to fake a punt. I mean jeez. Sure, our Defense could have stopped them from scoring or any number of other dozens of plays throughout the game (like our fumble or interception). Instead of Pitt having 1st and 10 from their own 30 they had 1st and 10 from our own 26. That's just devastating. I like CPJs gambling, but unless it was like 4th and 1 from our own 26, and even if that, at that point of the game it was just unnecessary.

Deleted member 2897

If Tech, UVA and Pitt, finish 5-3. Pitt gets in

Yea I think we need to come to the realization that with Pitts huge comeback against Duke a week ago, that the odds of them losing all 3 of their remaining games is close to 0. Which means that the odds of us making the ACCCG are also close to 0. However, it sure would be cool to finish tied for 1st, even if we don't win the tiebreakers. It will surely be a coulda woulda shoulda year, but unlike a lot of other teams who folded up camp when things went south early in the season, we did not.

Deleted member 2897

I’m not sure I want to see us get stomped again by Clemson anyway.

That's the question - would you be okay with going to a bowl game at say 7-5, or after losing to Clemson 40-13 in the ACCCG. Its tough to say you would desire to play in a game in which you are a huge probably 20 point underdog. I will always always always vote for that chance. Its like getting an extra bowl game. And there is always that chance. I think its a positive for the program. Its not like many other teams out there have played them much better. We've beat Clemson more times in the past decade than anybody else. And even when we lose badly to them like we have the last few years, our performance is still better than 9-10 other teams did against them.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks to Duke and BC for besting Miami and VPISU. Things are headed in the right direction. Week by week more and more teams will be eliminated from the race due to our head to heads. We MUST keep winning though. If we finish 5-3, we’d be 7-4 going into uGA, which would be a great turnaround from 1-3. Wish we could have the Pitt game back, as we’d be in the drivers seat, but there are no redos.
To put finer point on it... I want the fake punt back v Pitt. Not sure I've ever remained so hung up on a single play call. SERENITY NOW!

Deleted member 2897

Yep, so we really need VT to get in and make it a 3 or 4 way tie. At that point GT gets in with most scenarios I think.

If we beat Virginia, that's their 3rd loss, so we're already ahead of them even if they win out otherwise. So #1 need is for Virginia Tech to beat Pittsburgh this weekend. Virginia Tech still does need 1 more loss though, so we need them to then either lose to Miami or Virginia...but not both, LOL.

Well I guess technically the #1 need is for us to win out.

Deleted member 2897

That would be crazy. Could you imagine winning the ACCG with 4 or 5 L’s lol.

Well, we came into the ACCCG in 2012 as a 6-6 team, having won our last 4 ACC games after starting 1-3 in conference! We had to play #13 Florida State in the ACCCG as a 6-6 team, held them to only 21 points and only lost by 6 (they had 328 yards of offense to our 301). You just never know, that's why I always prefer to get there and not be embarrassed about how.

2012 was a very similar year to this one really when you think about it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Updated percentages to win the Coastal division from ESPN after this weekend

Pitt 47%
VT 18%
UVA 13%
Miami 13%
GT 9%

We were at 5% before the weekend so we almost doubled our chances. Keep taking it one game at a time.

The difference between this year and 2012 is there is no scenario where we get in because the 2 teams we tied with (and would have lost tie-breakers to) are not eligible to play in the title game.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, we came into the ACCCG in 2012 as a 6-6 team, having won our last 4 ACC games after starting 1-3 in conference! We had to play #13 Florida State in the ACCCG as a 6-6 team, held them to only 21 points and only lost by 6 (they had 328 yards of offense to our 301). You just never know, that's why I always prefer to get there and not be embarrassed about how.

2012 was a very similar year to this one really when you think about it.
I still think we crush FSU in that game if Smelter was healthy. We were absurdly fun at the end of the year there.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
There’s no year comparable to 2012 because we needed 2 teams to self impose bowl bans just to make the ACCCG that year lol