Coastal Chaos

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It's big. A win by VT will give the Jackets even more incentive to beat Miami. If those two things happen, we probably only need to beat UVa and have Pitt lose at Miami last week of the season to get another shot at the 800 lb. gorilla. Still a longshot, but possible.

Forget Duke - they still have said 800 lb. gorilla looming on their ACC schedule.
We'll also need VT to lose 1 of v. Miami and v. UVA.

- VT beat Pitt
- Miami beat Pitt
- UVA beat VT OR Miami beat VT
- UNC OR Clem OR WF beat Duke
- GT beat Miami AND GT beat UVA

I think this is our definitive checklist of things we need. We may not need that Duke line in the result of a 3+ way tie.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

- VT beat Pitt
- Miami beat Pitt

I think this is our definitive checklist of things we need. We may not need that Duke line in the result of a 3+ way tie.

Oh, yeah - forgot about that. I think UVa will knock off VPI in Blacksburg, though.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

- VT beat Pitt
- Miami beat Pitt

Emphasis on the OR for vpi's 3rd loss. If vpi loses both after beating pitt, we'd need WF to beat pitt. We lose a 3way tiebreak with pitt and uva but would win a 4way with them and vpi.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
FPI gives VT a 53.6% chance of winning against Pitt.

Current FPI rankings for the Coastal are pretty interesting:

#27 Miami
#35 Duke
#36 GT
#46 VT
#50 UVA
#62 Pitt
#79 UNC

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll say it's interesting. Miami #1 and Pitt #6? Double piffle. The ol' eyeball test puts Pitt WAY above Miami. Does this thing take schedule into account? Pitt has play a brutal OOC schedule. These rankings make a laughing stock out of the FPI.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Here is a question. If we win out going into the uga game, are we ranked??? A Texas A&m team with 3 losses was just on the top 25... Would we be 22-25?

No, I don’t think so. We will have to beat UGA to end the season ranked. Even then, I think we would be between 20 and 25.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It's a joke. We can see these teams play. We don't need no FPI. Miami the best team in the division? Snort, guffaw.

I’m glad that you can parse out who is good and bad in the Coastal because I can’t. They all look equally good/bad and equally erratic.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Week 10 Diff PPDvPwr5 Rankings for Coastal (teams playing at least 2 Pwr5 games; I prefer at least 3 Pwr5):
GT ..... #24
UVA ...#32
Duke . #38
VPI .... #40
Miami #40
Pitt .... #45
UNC ...#54

So, if these relative rankings were predictive, we have a real shot at winning the coastal: beating both d'oh U and uva; Pitt losing to both vpi and d'oh U; and vpi losing to d'oh U or uva.